JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was cleaning a rifle today and was using a brand new Dewey cleaning rod. After a couple passes, I noticed red flecks on my patch. Took a new patch and rubbed it up and down the rod and sure enough, the patch turned bright red and bits of the plastic coating flaked off. Looked down my bore and there were little pieces of the plastic coating. I bet that would be fun to get off if I shot through the bore and it melted!

Sheesh. I wasn't cleaning with sulfuric acid or anything - CLP, Hoppe's #9, Ballistol.

Anyone have a better rod suggestion?

Gunslick!!!
Mine are of great quality. Pretty spendy. But very nice. They are fully coated. And haven't chipped. Or they also make a stainless version.
Just to clarify your talking about the J Dewey cleaning rods???

I had the same issue with a coated Dewey. Now I use the brass Dewey as it has nothing to flake off and won't harm the barrel. It does need to be wiped down so chemicals don't eat at it.

I gave away all my rods and only use the Otis cable system to pull the cleaning tools thru my bores nothing rubbing the rifleing because you are pulling and not flexing a rod when things are a little tight, also I got a PatchWorm Pocket Field Kit nothing metal to damage a bore, check these out and you will never use a rod again.

I have used Dewey rods for many years in competition (a lot of cleaning) and never had the problem you described. I'm a little unsure of what you are talking about with the "red coating" reference. I was unaware that Dewey made a red coated rod. Mine have always been black. (red handle only)

I like the Gunslick or Tipton composite rods. I went that route on advice from my dad who had coating failures on two Deweys.

cleaning rods can ruin your bore

Quite true, that's why I use bore guides and another reason to go with composite rods. On my semis I use a muzzle guide. In fact, I have read that the old aluminum rods can leave aluminum oxide particles in the bore which is what some sharpening stones are made of. Brass rods aleviate this but the three piece rods snap at the threads. Stainless one piece rods hold up but you have to be careful not to flex them which isn't always possible. Composite solves all of these problems. They do cost more but it's worth it to me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top