JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I liked the concept and really wanted it to work... a simple and elegant laser sight that doesn't require a new holster solution, what's not to like!

But... in my experience the recoil springs on the LaserMax are not up to snuff and will require replacement on a somewhat regular basis (at least on a Glock)... not a deal killer but something to keep in mind. Compare a factory recoil spring/guide rod setup to the LaserMax...

And to be fair this was more than a few years back, the current stuff may be better. But myself... I couldn't stand wondering if today would be the day that the recoil spring decided to give it up and cause my weapon to malfunction!!! (and yes it did happen to me! luckily it was at the range and not on the street!)

Just my experience in my weapon... YMMV!

I wondered about that myself, JayDub. I think (sure looks like) the gen4's may have changed the game up on the guide rods due to the dual springs. I'm hoping anyway. I might document a compression test on the spring as a long term comparison. Maybe have a spare spring on hand.

I've read a lot of reviews of previous years versions, an my take on them were they (the laser) either worked or it didn't. Some well over (and still going) 12 years. The battery caps wear/wore more in earlier models, and when replaced, would correct some issues. Also, replacement of the batteries fixed intermittent problems. Mental note take on the spring. Thanks.

The slide takedown lever extends quite a bit more than stock and the LASER is activated by tilting the lever up or down, so it's not too hard to turn things on while holstering.

I'm finding several different references reading/watching different reviews. The LM website specs the laser to be POI/POA @ 20yds, within an inch to 25yds. I watched an Optics Planet review and it was said POI/POA=1/2" @ 50yds

What's the consensus?

Depending on the holster, likely an easy fix.
Mine is kydex and has great retention along the whole area. I don't foresee any troubles

I received an email back from LASERMax regarding my LASER and it was not positive.

"Unfortunately the diode of your laser has broken, which is one of the few parts that there is no way of repairing. The laser is outside of the warranty period so in instances like this what we offer would be a ½ price replacement for a new laser. We make models for your firearm in red ($207) and green ($232), if you are interested let me know and I will pass on your information to the person who handles these replacements"

Edited to add:
It appears @<broken link removed> purchased his LASERMax Green for $300 shipped, so I'm not certain the "half-price" offer of $232 offered by LASERMax service is that good of a deal, especially since I would be risking another failure at some point in the future...IMO.

PROFESSIONAL GRADE | GUARANTEED ACCURACY | IN USE BY ELITE FORCES

The most technologically-advanced, hardened laser sighting system ever developed, the Guide Rod Laser replaces the recoil spring guide assembly in semi-auto pistols. No other laser sight in the world gets subjected to more rigorous testing or can result in more accurate shots. Don't skimp. Make it a LaserMax Guide Rod Laser.
<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
Bad diode. That's not good. I had no clue yours was that old, given you just picked up the 34? They sound to be offering you half off full retail, which isn't bad. I guess it comes down if the laser served well enough to like them to move forward and continue using their product. I like the fact that the LaserMax is tight to the barrel. that's what sold me.

Before my buying one, I looked into them extensively and learned of different scenarios, reliability, warranty, etc. Like anything, the lasers are susceptible to flaws. Their tech and consumer support sounds pretty solid. Mine arrives tomorrow. Targets on the ready.

For the record, I just got a call from LASERMax and they have proven to be excellent relative to their customer service. My LASERMax is 10-years old and has seen a lot of range time in its life. I was hoping it could be repaired, but being as old as it is, I totally accept the fact that things wear out. The gentleman from Marketing said he used the LASERMax during his tour of duty in Afghanistan and it never failed him...I'll yield to his experience.

I was not meaning to "out" you, 308. A 10 year service life of the product, speaks for itself, given the 5 year warranty offered.
Your hands on time, and rounds fired, experience (to me) is of more credibility than someone who works for LaserMax.
A salesman is a salesman until they prove to me personally they stand by what they preach.

Next up...I just got off the phone with Jim McNally and have his Glock trigger on the way. So looking forward to a nice trigger.

My LaserMax arrived and is installed. POI/POA, relative to the sights, looks good.
The now dual role extended take-down lever/on-off switch was mentioned as the culprit of dead batteries. Not an issue with my kydex holster. In-fact, if I forget to turn the laser off, once the pistol is holstered, the laser gets turned of by the retention.

Later added. By mistake, I installed the stock takedown spring. Believe it or not, it works better than the one supplied.

I use this holster. <broken link removed>

Last Edited:
If he looks in a mirror, he'll have better knowledge of what he...needs.

I tested the range of the green laser to a visible range of 70+yds. Tomorrow I'll test.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads