Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Do you clean your handgun magazines & how often? & how important is that?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by 9mm guy, Apr 17, 2016.

1. 9mm guy

9mm guy Tualatin Active Member

These are the little questions that I just don't the answer to. And when I ask clean your magazine, I'm talking about breaking them down and taking the spring out etc. Do any of you do that? How often? And how important do you think it is to do so for the proper functioning of your magazine?

2. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have never cleaned any my mags

JohnnyD and edslhead like this.
  3. SA Shooter

SA Shooter Hillsboro, OR Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I clean the weapons every other trip to the range along with the mags. That may be more than needed but that is how I was taught. If I didn't follow that process my Grandpa's ghost would come back and haunt me! :)

4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

My EDC pistol mags do get cleaned. Not often but I do make sure lint and other crap so it doesnt gum things up and stop the follower.

Ill wipe my steel AK range mags down with oil from time to time. I dislike any rust being on my mags. The rest are in grease storage.

But the rest I dont clean, not until they give me stoppages.

etrain16 likes this.
  5. Cameron72

Cameron72 Harrington, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Once when I get them. Possibly never again. Unless I drop them in the dirt.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  6. SA Shooter

SA Shooter Hillsboro, OR Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Yeah, if I was to drop mine in the dirt I'd be sure to clean 'em.

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Very rarely! I mostly blow them out with an air nozzle (that's on the end of a real compressor, not canned). I lube the inside of my mag's lightly, then swab them out with a dry patch.

Ura-Ki and etrain16 like this.
  8. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Rarely. If I buy used mags or a used gun with used mags, I'll usually break them down, look them over and clean them. Otherwise, unless they're obviously very dirty inside or don't function properly, I leave them alone.

Nocaster and Sgt Nambu like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence with this one. Depends on the weapon's mags really. For polly mags, I usually just check the followers and springs and give them a quick wipe down. For steal mags I clean and lightly lube them to prevent rust. I hate rust! My FN/FAL mags get a cleaning after each and every range session and for storage get the springs pulled and left static. Not that I'm picky on these, but they seem to build a set over time and the springs loose tension. For general pistol mags, just a quick blow out and a light oiling do the trick, How ever my carry pistol mags get a much more through cleaning and inspection as well as rotated in and out of use. I find I get pocket/holster lint and other shmutz in my mags, plus I see accelerated effects of body contact causing rust and other contamination getting on or in my mags! I try and rotate mags every week or so and clean and check them when I switch!

Remember this, A clean gun is a happy gun and to my mind, that includes the mags. For those of us that rely on our gun to function flawlessly each and every time we put it on, I see ZERO compromise here!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  10. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I clean them when I get them. And about every other time I clean the
    pistol. Exception is if they are going to be used in a match. Magazines
    are the number one cause of a semi-auto's malfunction. IMHO!! :cool::cool::cool:

Cameron72 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  11. ditchtiger

ditchtiger In the sticks, Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Wipe them out once a year and spray them with silicone lubricate.

12. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I kinda like dirty magazines.

JohnnyD, jessieD, BDA.45 and 10 others like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

ROTFLMAOHTIHAIP

edslhead and Sgt Nambu like this.
  14. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

MMMmm , Dirty Gun magazine titles :
    Smokey Bore
    Stock Polisher
    Full Frontal Sight picture
    Six O'clock Hold

Just kidding .

I clean my pistol's and rifle's magazine after every shoot.
    I got the gun dirty and its now taken apart waiting to be cleaned , so might as well clean the magazine.
    Andy

Ura-Ki and edslhead like this.
  15. boogerhook

boogerhook Seattle Well-Known Member

I have never cleaned a magazine. I am your "If the ashtray is full I am getting a new car" kind of guy.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. The Nothing

The Nothing PDX Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I clean dirty mags a bit after the pages start sticking together, but only if I like 'em.

Honestly, not really. All of mine are stainless so I just wipe them down with the same rag after cleaning the pistol

17. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Outside of metal mags gets a wipedown with CLP to prevent rust once in a while (since salty hands can contact it). Other than that, not much. But then I don't drop my mags in the dirt either. If I did I would need to clean the inside also.

I have taken apart older mags to clean them up, when I bought them, such as my older aluminum M16 mags (probably Viet Nam war vintage). That was when mags were in short supply. But these days I just buy new Magpuls!

18. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I break mine down after several range trips. I'm guessing that ends up being 6-700 rounds. Run a rag through the insides, clean the springs, and get the sparkles off the inside of the base plates. After cleaning, wipe down the springs and outside with a silicone cloth. Mine get dropped in the dirt and gravel all the time so need to make sure there's nothing in there to mess things up.

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Nope.
    Maybe a mag for a 22 cause everything gets dirty with 22lr

20. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

I clean the exterior and follower with the magazine not-disassembled, then about every 4th or 5th time, (or maybe more, I'm not that organized) I take the mag apart and clean the parts, and the mag body interior.