JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all I could use a little advice on who to talk to and what to do next.

I am a resident of Deschutes County and I applied for a about 3 months ago. The Sheriffs office still have not approved nor denied my CHL application. It is my understanding that Oregon is a shall issue state once submitted the Sheriff office has 45 days to approve or deny said application.

I have been in to the office 2x to inquire and needless to say it is still not resolved. They say they are waiting to hear back from another state about a matter that I was arrested for but not convicted.

Look forward to any responses, ideas and questions about what I should be doing next.

Shall issue to me is exactly what it means. I also am waiting for my renewal. Now 26B business days and counting. Josephine County. However ... in my case we all understand that do to a series of events, Josephine County government is still dead broke.

The very nice, polite and professional deputies at the main jail where I renewed my CCL were all volunteers. The told me upfront that there would be delays. They also gave me a receipt that would work as a carry license until I received my renewal.

We are being held hostage to a situation not of our making. I understand this. I salute the volunteers. The renewal system is not perfect. In retrospect I should have renewed 2 months earlier. Expect delays. The duck is paddling as fast as it can.

I was told to wait until the date I renewed. The guy in charge greatly apologized to me. Not enough lead or processing time was allowed for. It will probably will be another month before I receive the renewal license. I can still legally carry. No problem.

Last Edited:
Shall issue to me is exactly what it means. I also am waiting for my renewal. Now 26 business days and counting. Josephine County. However ... in my case we all understand that do to a series of events, Josephine County government is still dead broke.

The very nice, polite and professional deputies at the main jail where I renewed my CCL were all volunteers. The told me upfront that there would be delays. They also gave me a receipt that would work as a carry license until I received my renewal.

We are being held hostage to a situation not of our making. I understand this. I salute the volunteers. The renewal system is not perfect. In retrospect I should have renewed 2 months earlier. Expect delays. The duck is paddling as fast as it can.

I was told to wait until the date I renewed. The guy in charge greatly apologized to me. Not enough lead or processing time was allowed for. It will probably will be another month before I receive the renewal license. I can still legally carry. No problem.

I hear you HB. To the best of my knowledge Deschutes County is far from broke. That said I do have the greatest of respect for the sheriff officers out here. They are outstanding! I have no issues with them none, 0, nada.

My issue is the way this is being handled. The way I see it, They have 45 days to do what ever digging they need to do to grant my CHL (this is a 1st time application) but after that 45 days if they don't have a reason to deny then they should approve. We are fast approaching the 90 day mark and I think this is getting a bit long.

Hello all I could use a little advice on who to talk to and what to do next.

I am a resident of Deschutes County and I applied for a about 3 months ago. The Sheriffs office still have not approved nor denied my CHL application. It is my understanding that Oregon is a shall issue state once submitted the Sheriff office has 45 days to approve or deny said application.

I have been in to the office 2x to inquire and needless to say it is still not resolved. They say they are waiting to hear back from another state about a matter that I was arrested for but not convicted.

Look forward to any responses, ideas and questions about what I should be doing next.
That's a tricky dilemma because it was out of state. So, Oregon is allowed to deny based on evidence that shows a person has issues with the law, family, drugs, ect. So imo because it's been this long and they haven't denied you I'm immediately thinking two things...

First, they are waiting to get a report back from that arresting agency or their court house. Something they can do and read as no judge sealed it away or ordered it destroyed.

Second, their just people trying to cover their own a$$. You should be patient with them and understanding of them and it needs to show... because as said in my first conclusion, if they see you as impatient/rude combined with a troubling report, it may result in a denied license.

I'm no attorney... you are your own man. Do what you want. Just be honest with them if you haven't already about said incident.

I believe it is 45 business days in Oregon, so remember to factor in Federal and State holidays in your time line. Count it out.

Also, even though Deschuttes may not be in a financial bind, that particular department may very well be short staffed just because of "life" vacations, illness & what have you. Marion county is a big county, but I think there is only 2 women who take care of CHL's, along with whatever other duties that they perform.

Furthermore, no one on here can give you any idea on how to proceed. You need to find out what the out of state issue is, and contact the other agency. You should know what you did, when, and where to be able to contact them.

That's a tricky dilemma because it was out of state. So, Oregon is allowed to deny based on evidence that shows a person has issues with the law, family, drugs, ect. So imo because it's been this long and they haven't denied you I'm immediately thinking two things...

First, they are waiting to get a report back from that arresting agency or their court house. Something they can do and read as no judge sealed it away or ordered it destroyed.

Second, their just people trying to cover their own a$$. You should be patient with them and understanding of them and it needs to show... because as said in my first conclusion, if they see you as impatient/rude combined with a troubling report, it may result in a denied license.

I'm no attorney... you are your own man. Do what you want. Just be honest with them if you haven't already about said incident.

I'm thinking it's likely the first of your assumptions.

Steel929
Would it be appropriate to ask what the offense and State was that you were not convicted of/in?

I'm thinking it's likely the first of your assumptions.

Steel929
Would it be appropriate to ask what the offense and State was that you were not convicted of/in?

I would not consider it inappropriate at all maddog.

The state was Oklahoma, the offense that I was charged with was domestic violence. In short, my ex wife started a fist fight with yours truly and 130 lb me didn't feel like taking a beating from a 300lb lady (I use that term loosely). Long story short, the arrangement was reached that I would serve 1 year unsupervised probation with a withhold of adjudication if served successfully. I did complete said probation successfully.

On a funny/ironic note.... this occurred in Love County. smh.

I completely understand the sheriffs office wants to cross all the Ts and dot the I's. I am trying to be understanding about the situation but I am concerned too. When I first moved to this state, my wife wanted me to buy her a shotgun for our first wedding anniversary (yes you can laugh about that too). It took the state of oregon 48 weeks to approve said purchase. I have since bought 3 other firearms in this state, no issues. I don't want go through that again.

Any other questions or ideas are welcome.

I would not consider it inappropriate at all maddog.

The state was Oklahoma, the offense that I was charged with was domestic violence. In short, my ex wife started a fist fight with yours truly and 130 lb me didn't feel like taking a beating from a 300lb lady (I use that term loosely). Long story short, the arrangement was reached that I would serve 1 year unsupervised probation with a withhold of adjudication if served successfully. I did complete said probation successfully.

On a funny/ironic note.... this occurred in Love County. smh.

I completely understand the sheriffs office wants to cross all the Ts and dot the I's. I am trying to be understanding about the situation but I am concerned too. When I first moved to this state, my wife wanted me to buy her a shotgun for our first wedding anniversary (yes you can laugh about that too). It took the state of oregon 48 weeks to approve said purchase. I have since bought 3 other firearms in this state, no issues. I don't want go through that again.

Any other questions or ideas are welcome.
That took balls to share that with us. Lol.

On a serious note I'm sure you will be fine. Just be patient. I would advice you to hire an attorney from Oklahoma, though. If Oklahoma allows this to be removed, or sealed, do it and it will require you to take a trip there more than likely.

Miscellaneous thoughts ....

• Get an attorney. This should be a pretty easy one to clear up, but still you want good council.
  • This statute had the relevant details on CHL denial. It is indeed 45 days after the application is made.
  • Get the arrest record, and related, expunged in Oklahoma. If it wasn't a criminal conviction, it should be relatively straight forward to get it removed. There is no need to have this on your record if it can be legally removed.
  • Good luck. :)

I'd bet Oregon's SB 719 isn't going to help you much. I'll second CountryGent's response. Good luck.

My wife would have used a baseball bat! Sure glad I can run faster than her!

My wife and I have had our permits for a few years and renewals have never been a problem. The sheriffs office here has always been very helpful and more than happy to provide our permits. The problem has to be in your past out of state troubles and the disposition of such. I would say do not blame the deschutes county sheriff for your problems, you should instead clear up your record with the authorities in Oklahoma.

I understand that.

This is what needs to be expunged.

State :
Hmmm, well a jury of your peers found you innocent.
Very nice.
However, we think that you are guilty.

I'm not sure about the state he came from, but in WA there are several databases. District and Superior Court Information Systems (still DOS based), the DOC databases, and the FBI NCIC where an agency can get whats called a "Triple I" report (Interstate Identification Index). If you wanted an arrest to completely disappear, it would have to be at the federal level. The normal culprit is a state failing to issue a disposition to the feds. Even if the case is dismissed, the feds maintain the record of arrest. It may be possible to petition the FBI to remove that.

I'd bet Oregon's SB 719 isn't going to help you much. I'll second CountryGent's response. Good luck.

My wife would have used a baseball bat! Sure glad I can run faster than her!
I want one of those bags! Sure looks more pleasant than trying to avoid my sparing partners.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top