JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Something to think about. Not everyone has it in them to put themself in grave danger in order to save others. It's hard to be mad at him if he mentally couldn't.

We can think about how we will react to a crisis situation, but until we are in that position, we never really will know.
That is true but he took a salary and knew well what his job could entail. No one forces anyone to become LE or carry a gun. He volunteered to do the job in return for pay.......sounds like fraud as a minimum.

Looks like dereliction of duty. Whatever his reason for not engaging the shooter, he'll be haunted by this for the rest of his days. And so the tragedy just keeps getting worse.

This also points out the fact that it's not the gun - it's the man. The gun is only a tool, as good or as bad as the man holding it.

If I were him I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror after that. Good luck on retirement.

His name is out there but they sure are protecting his image/face. All my resources have come up dry.
Perhaps he's at risk of getting lynched.
Again I wasn't there and only know how I think I would have reacted. Couldn't see myself doing nothing. Especially if it was my job to protect these kids!
Will never know for sure though until I'm put in that situation.

He'll think about how many died in those 4 minutes for the rest of his life.
A lot of good that will do. I have had several times in my life where I had to make an immediate choice involving life and death (more than the normal combat rescue mission) each time, I was able to grit my teeth and made the correct one. I am thankful to have the mind and training to have done so. It is a miraculous feeling to exit the other side having done the correct thing and survived.

Scot Peterson was 54 I found out. Some at 54 are reasonably healthy and exercise, eat right and not obese etc.
But many at mid 50 look to be much older and in bad health. Diet, lifestyle bad genes?
Either way, health should not be an excuse. These guys should have minimum standards of health or step aside. Or be moved aside.
Don't know what will irritate people more?
A pic of him looking fit or a pic of him looking unfit.

There is a vastly under-rated and perhaps even old-fashioned term in this day of the snowflake. That term, RESPONSIBILITY!!!!!!
That means I have an obligation (Most of us have heard that word) to act whether I want to or not!!!!

Sheldon

This is not the cop in question, this is for instructional purposes only... Whatever happened to height and weight standards in a job that requires stamina, strength and presence of mind...???
Obese Cop.jpg
When seconds count, in this case it was 4 minutes or 240 seconds or more...
In a firefight, that's a lifetime...

Something to think about. Not everyone has it in them to put themself in grave danger in order to save others. It's hard to be mad at him if he mentally couldn't.

We can think about how we will react to a crisis situation, but until we are in that position, we never really will know.

I want to think/believe that Aaron Feis, if allowed to CC, would have fired back. Hell, he died protecting his students, he didn't run. Would have been nice for it to have been a fairer fight for him.

I've not had to face down a gun man, but I have had to go towards danger to rescue people.

If you can't do it, then get out of the way and let others do the job. Don't just pull down pay and then sit there doing nothing when innocent children need you the most.

Though I agree with most of the sentiment here, this deputy is fixing to GET PAID with every public criticism he receives, IMO, because of this:

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone

Like its been said, no one knows what they will do when it comes time. The consequences were great in this situation, but I'm glad he realized it was no country for old men and called it a career.

Anyone who points guns at people for a living has to be in constant self evaluation of whether they are up to the task.

Marine Airedale is correct that most LE departments tell solitary officers to wait for backup before making entry. The odds are against you if you're making entry alone. If you're shot down, then the bad guy(s) have your weapon, ammo and radio now.

I think it was after the Pulse Nightclub shooting that LE departments changed over to immediate entry instead of waiting for backup.

They actually began considering changes to this protocol way back at Columbine (but perhaps that was only in context of a school, not some of the other places where there have been shootings).

Coward. To think, less children could have died had he done the right thing.

I know his duty isnt to die for citizens, he's probably got a family at home.. but come one man.. to have the ability to go in there and put a sicko down.. yet he did nothing.

At a minimum he could have at least checked the shooter by engaging him for a split second then hiding for cover. This would prevent him from methodically going from classroom to classroom blasting kids up. It would buy time. If he had just done that who knows how many he could have saved.

For instance, look what happened at Reynolds high school; a high school that I attended not too long ago in fact. The high school police officers that were tasked at the school engaged the shooter with a simple couple second contact. As a result the shooter ran into the gym bathroom and blew his brains out. If these officers hadn't charged him who knows how many more he would have picked off. In this case it was two officers I believe but the same could have been done with one.

Even if the kid decided to fight at least he was checked and would have to take a defensive position against a Good Guy With A Gun. Yes a semi auto beats a pistol like a sword beats a knife. However just engaging the jerk saves lives and buys more time for a quick reaction force to respond.

For crying out loud he was a kid with a rifle with no force on force training. Who knows maybe the cop could've used basic basic situational awareness and tactics to blind side him. What a concept.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top