JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Earlier this week, I obtained my license. See the attached photo as proof.

This issue was settled before going to court. A lawyer for Multnomah County agreed with me about the law and was successful in getting me to drop the case. This victory is bittersweet. On one hand, I received my license but I didn't set a precedent for others to easily reference. I hope to do that with this post.

Here is the issue at hand: The statue ORS 166.291 is written in a way that limits the scope of the law to marijuana drug diversions. I believe this was done so to allow people who have had had a DUI Diversion not be subject to losing their license. This isn't a loophole. It's written this way to stop drug dealers from being allowed to have a concealed weapon while selling after being caught multiple times.

Thanks for your help guys, especially those who recommended attorneys, it really did help.

View attachment 333915

I'm not sure that's a valid CHL without your picture and all the fields just empty white boxes...:p

Congrats.

This issue was settled before going to court. A lawyer for Multnomah County agreed with me about the law and was successful in getting me to drop the case. This victory is bittersweet. On one hand, I received my license but I didn't set a precedent for others to easily reference. I hope to do that with this post.

Here is the issue at hand: The statue ORS 166.291 is written in a way that limits the scope of the law to marijuana drug diversions. I believe this was done so to allow people who have had had a DUI Diversion not be subject to losing their license. This isn't a loophole. It's written this way to stop drug dealers from being allowed to have a concealed weapon while selling after being caught multiple times.

Thanks for your help guys, especially those who recommended attorneys, it really did help.

View attachment 333915

For something to become a legal precedent, a judge in a courtroom would need to make a ruling. Nothing at all like that has happened here.

So no legal precedent of any kind has been made on this issue.

Why have you not simply gone through the process to have this matter expunged from your record? Doing that would prevent it from ever causing you any further grief of any kind.

For something to become a legal precedent, a judge in a courtroom would need to make a ruling. Nothing at all like that has happened here.

So no legal precedent of any kind has been made on this issue.

Why have you not simply gone through the process to have this matter expunged from your record? Doing that would prevent it from ever causing you any further grief of any kind.

"I didn't set a precedent for others to easily reference."

So let's talk more about this: the California DOJ wasn't supposed to release the records unless I applied as a peace officer. I am following up with this, not for an expungement but to figure out how a firearms background check released the info.

This is a different battle for me to fight and really nothing to do with this thread.

View attachment 333915
Congratulations! Score one for liberty!

"I didn't set a precedent for others to easily reference."

So let's talk more about this: the California DOJ wasn't supposed to release the records unless I applied as a peace officer. I am following up with this, not for an expungement but to figure out how a firearms background check released the info.

This is a different battle for me to fight and really nothing to do with this thread.

That is only a partial quote of what I was referencing in your post. You said:

"This victory is bittersweet. On one hand, I received my license but I didn't set a precedent for others to easily reference. I hope to do that with this post."

Your post here does not set any sort of legal precedent. There is no information of any kind here that could even remotely be legally cited. Certainly you must realize that hearsay cannot be cited as being factual in the eyes of the law.

There is nothing here in your post for anyone to be able to reference.

x

"This victory is bittersweet. On one hand, I received my license but I didn't set a precedent for others to easily reference. I hope to do that with this post."

Your post here does not set any sort of legal precedent. There is no information of any kind here that could even remotely be legally cited. Certainly you must realize that hearsay cannot be cited as being factual in the eyes of the law.

For bubblegum sake man. All he is saying is that if someone were in a similar position they could have the knowledge that fighting the initial denial is worth it. NWFA is not Night Court or Judge Judy, ease up. He's a new member, how about rather than nitpicking his wording, we congratulate him and welcome him to the community?

Not to legally cite but to use as knowledge on how I was mistreated and overcome objections from the sherrif. I think you are being deliberately obtuse.

Good on ya & good on ya for posting up how you went about it.

...now be sure to carry it all the time. Keeping it behind your drivers license is easiest.

Although not required in Oregon, it may prove helpful in a given situation to hand that, along with your drivers license to a peace officer in an event where your identification is requested.

If your driving your own car, and they've run your plates, they will more than likely allready be aware you are a CHL holder. If your driving someone else's, or a rental, they will not.

Congrats man! Enjoy your right! You definitely earned it. Must feel good to have a nice personal victory settled outside of court. Keep your rights uninfringed and carry on!

The main problem with representing yourself is that the pro per litigant often faces incredible bias from the court. Judges who are attorneys often refuse to allow an opposing attorney to be humiliated by a pro per litigant that presents a good case. A couple of decades ago I filed a complaint against a collection agency that had violated 9 federal statutes as well as ORS statutes. I filed first in Oregon Circuit Court then in Federal District court after the suit was dismissed in the Oregon Court without prejudice. The case came before the arrogant and incompetent then Magistrate Michael Hogan who dismissed the complaint a second time claiming Oregon lacked jurisdiction over the California corporation which was BS. I filed an appeal with the 9th Circuit. The 9th Circuit reversed Hogan and sent the case back to his court. The collection agency settled. I had become a pretty good pro persona litigant after five years of litigation. The collection agency never did have a defense. Their attorney was counting on the case being dismissed by an unethical judge. Who knows what went on before the hearings. Two legal aide attorneys had wanted the case which they said was important and agreed to argue my brief before the 9th Circuit. I lost all respect for most attorneys and judges in the process. I always wondered the depth of Hogan's humiliation to be reversed by a pro per litigant with no previous legal experience.

I feel you eliduc. I once presented a perfectly valid defense to a photo speed ticket and the judge, while polite, ignored my arguments entirely. The legal system is a racket, and those who benefit work to protect it above all else. You should have filed an ethics complaint with the Oregon Bar Association saying Hogan was unfit to be a judge after that, just to piss him off.

Our legal system as they call it isn't legal anymore because of a bunch of whiny self entitled brats that think it doesn't apply to them and the jacked up politicians that allow it to happen because it fits there damn agenda!!

And on top of it all you got police and first responders out there that can't do there job the way it should be done because there afraid to get sued by people using said law!!

That doesn't land in there favor or ours and is turning this great country into something that none of us are used to seeing or want to see and leaves us all beating our heads against the wall!!:s0054:

:s0137:

I feel you eliduc. I once presented a perfectly valid defense to a photo speed ticket and the judge, while polite, ignored my arguments entirely. The legal system is a racket, and those who benefit work to protect it above all else. You should have filed an ethics complaint with the Oregon Bar Association saying Hogan was unfit to be a judge after that, just to piss him off.

I once presented a valid defense to a photo radar ticket myself and the judge decided the evidence I presented (recordings made by the records office) which clearly showed the ticketing officer had lied under oath was meaningless. I wound up paying the ticket after wasting a day in court and being threatened by a cop who lied under oath, but I shoulda taken the whole thing to a higher court, instead of letting those bastards win. Even after pointing out that the 'officer' had lied under oath, the judge saw nothing, as he was obviously protecting the pos liar cop. In fact the only person who got off that day was the only illegal alien in the courtroom, who had made an illegal turn and causes several cars to get wrecked--the pos judge kissed that illegal's @ss up and down and waived all his fines--Thanks for nothing sanctuary city of Phoenix, AZ

Last Edited:
Congratulations!!! I also have a background in this and I currently possess a CHL....Theres a thread about it somewhere out there on the interwebs on NWFA.....It was mary jane possession in Cali.....Coulda been worse....just sayn.....I congratulate you

Congratulations!!! I also have a background in this and I currently possess a CHL....Theres a thread about it somewhere out there on the interwebs on NWFA.....It was mary jane possession in Cali.....Coulda been worse....just sayn.....I congratulate you

Yeah, you coulda been busted while havin' some crappy left-over shake with stems and seeds in it, instead of the good stuff... if you're gonna go, make it worth while! ;)

:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads