JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I recently acquired a Model 29. It was not added for a defensive piece, but rather because I just like them. Also, maybe, it would be good for bowling pin shooting, and most certainly for target shooting.

That said, it is a solid, nicely built wheelgun, that fits my hand well, so there is no reason it couldn't be used as a defensive or preparedness piece. On that score, what .44 Special or .44 Magnum loads would you recommend for said? Any to avoid? Thanks.

Last Edited:
Elmer Keith came up with a load many years ago I have used it myself. His load was 22 to 24grs. of 2400 behind a 240grs. SWC bullet. I found the 24gr. load to be a bit stout and stayed with nothing more than 23grs.

What are you defensing :D against?
I just started putting some trigger time on a Model 69 testing a handful of different ammo and am happy to say that within the small variety of ammo I shot, 4 Magnums and 2 Specials, I think you can cover it all.
I probably wouldn't have bought the Critical Defense 44 Special normally because it is such a light bullet at 165gr, but I have it in my gun for urban duty.
I have some HSM Pro Hunter 44 Mag ammo I like that I will copy and use. It's loaded with a Sierra 240gr JHP that goes 1100fps out of my 4.250" revolver. It's not as nasty on the hand as some other loads, and should be able to stop any animal.

General magnum shooting I like 200 or 180 grain JHP loaded at about the starting
charge weight for H110. Target load 240 SWC lead Light charge of Unique about 900 fps.
For self defense loads, for my trip to Yellowstone 300 grain gas checks with max load
of Blue Dot.:confused: Heavy recoil out of my 3 inch 629.:eek: On the right in the pic.
Let's see some pics of that 29.:rolleyes:
DSC00068.JPG

General magnum shooting I like 200 or 180 grain JHP loaded at about the starting
charge weight for H110. Target load 240 SWC lead Light charge of Unique about 900 fps.
For self defense loads, for my trip to Yellowstone 300 grain gas checks with max load
of Blue Dot.:confused: Heavy recoil out of my 3 inch 629.:eek: On the right in the pic.
Let's see some pics of that 29.:rolleyes:
View attachment 457077
Due to short barrel [6" or less] ,most 2400 loads will burn powder out side of barrel. I have been using Unique for almost everything. Works good for me for over 40 years ~~ hunting/plinking It' 's a little faster burning powder then 2400 and you can load them however you want from paper puncher to defensive. 240 grain bullet will do a good job on just about any thing. Worked good on bears and deer.:D:D In side of house figure on it going thru just about everything [walls/furniture & etc.]

I load .44 mag and .44spec loads for my .44 carbine, .44 Uberti, and .44 Redhawk. The 24 gr/2400 is reserved for the carbine and Redhawk. I actually find the Keith load a bit much in the 'Hawk on account of scarring from an ancient wrist surgery which never really healed all that well but that Keith load works well in the carbine... Unique is the powder of choice for less rambunctious loads and for .44 specials. I do like that Unique..

Elmer Keith came up with a load many years ago I have used it myself. His load was 22 to 24grs. of 2400 behind a 240grs. SWC bullet. I found the 24gr. load to be a bit stout and stayed with nothing more than 23grs.

I well recall Elmer calling me up one fine afternoon, Sir, he said [he was always very polite to me], would you care to advise me as to a good load for this here new revolver I'm getting Smith & Wesson to make? Well, I thought a bit, wiggled around with my trusty slide-rule, and came up with the load you quoted about.

By a happy coincidence, he resplone, that's just about what occurred to me, too, and I thank you for confirming my computationments.

Needless to say, nobody but you and I know about this arrangement between me and the late Mr Keith, and I be most obliged if you could refrain from passing it around and thereby reducing the well-deserved reputation of a fine man.

I knew I could rely on you.

Thanks.

tac

I well recall Elmer calling me up one fine afternoon, Sir, he said [he was always very polite to me], would you care to advise me as to a good load for this here new revolver I'm getting Smith & Wesson to make? Well, I thought a bit, wiggled around with my trusty slide-rule, and came up with the load you quoted about.

By a happy coincidence, he resplone, that's just about what occurred to me, too, and I thank you for confirming my computationments.

Needless to say, nobody but you and I know about this arrangement between me and the late Mr Keith, and I be most obliged if you could refrain from passing it around and thereby reducing the well-deserved reputation of a fine man.

Thanks.

tac
Got you covered!

Thanks.

tac
This is why Keith was never fool enough to send 2400 through his 4" guns.

In the 44 special since it is a slow mover I would load a full wad cutter for defence. In magnum a Speer gold dot in 210 grain loaded at the highest velocity I could control.

I recently acquired several 44s. In my factory 44 special search I like the
Sig 200gr they are open hollow points, as my friend says flying ashtrays.
Also like any loads by Magtech or S&B(same case and corporate parent company, Magtech is made in Brasíl, S&B in Czech. )enjoy

Handloads or factory? Some scary .44 Spl handloads are in the Speer #8 manual. 240 gr. LSWC at about 1200 fps. Bear in mind that these loads were developed prior to 1970, and were reduced in later manuals.

Buffalo Bore offers a variety of heavy .44 Spl loads, all supposedly within SAAMI pressure limits.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads