JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure how one plans to grab an angry goose by the neck
our geese attack with their head and neck parallel to the ground about 2" up off the ground, charging at full speed
if one was to bend over or squat down to try to grab their neck, your going to get a face full of very angry geese
our Chinese don't attack like a Canadian does
Right about the geese attacking with necks outstretched and parallel to ground. Just bend over and grab. Be fast. The dominant gander runs a few feet to far in front of the others when attacking. You grab his neck just below the head so you dont get your face bit, hair pulled, or eye removed.

I'm not sure how one plans to grab an angry goose by the neck
our geese attack with their head and neck parallel to the ground about 2" up off the ground, charging at full speed
if one was to bend over or squat down to try to grab their neck, your going to get a face full of very angry geese
our Chinese don't attack like a Canadian does
A sand wedge has excellent grabbing characteristics.

Right about the geese attacking with necks outstretched and parallel to ground. Just bend over and grab. Be fast. The dominant gander runs a few feet to far in front of the others when attacking. You grab his neck just below the head so you dont get your face bit, hair pulled, or eye removed.
so - there is one outstanding question
someone or something is trying to grab one of MY geese by the neck, while I'm on my porch with a 10/22 with Mini Mag and a red dot scope
tell me how that works out

first, why are you trying to wring a gooses neck?
are you that desperate for food your going to kill a goose in a private flock?
Chinese Brown Geese are not native to the NW and are not found in local lakes or rivers
I think there a Missions that will provide you with food before you have to go out and kill pet geese on private property

I've seen a 6'4" 250 lbs contractor run from him
even the raccoons don't mess with Junior
I don't remember the details, but one of my mom's friends when I was young had a goose. I don't remember what kind it was, just that it was big and scary. It chased away anyone that came around, unless it's person was there.

One day it died, killed by, as I recall, a 12 year old boy. It was a bit of a scandal and the boy was in trouble. He claimed self defense, but everyone said he should have just turned and ran like everyone else, even grown men. I remember asking my mom how a boy killed it with his bare hands when grown men couldn't.

I'll never forget her answer: she said that it wasn't that the grown men couldn't, but that they wouldn't. The goose was aggressive and very intimidating, and perhaps the only way to stop it would be to kill it. The grown men wouldn't hurt someone's pet, but the boy didn't know better, so he killed it. As I recall, the goose's owner was surprisingly understanding. She loved her goose but knew he was aggressive and scary, and the boy wasn't a troublemaker otherwise, and he was distraught and apologetic. (no it wasn't me, I barely knew the kid)

In my experience the rest of the flock, even the other ganders, only back up the dominant gander as long as the intruder is fleeing, or at least, seems helpless and is losing the encounter. The minute you catch and render the dominant gander helpless the rest back off and stand around watching. They make no efforts to rescue the dominant gander.
We had a few of them when I was a kid. One female and I would gather her eggs. At first the things terrified me as they were damn near as big as me. Then one day one of the males actually got me in the leg. I had to laugh as he was strutting around flapping his wings so proud of himself that he was brave enough to get me. After that I just carried a long stick. Would poke them and they would back off. They are not suicidal. At parks here they often use Dogs to chase them off. The one in my avatar LOVED to do this. He was only 10#'s and would go after an entire flock. They would scatter and then fly off even though they were twice or 3 times his size. If they had wanted to fight no doubt they could turn the tables but they always just ran then flew rather than risk a bite.

I told you not to kill my goose !
x1080.jpg

so - there is one outstanding question
someone or something is trying to grab one of MY geese by the neck, while I'm on my porch with a 10/22 with Mini Mag and a red dot scope
tell me how that works out
??? I'm talking about a person preventing herself from being harmed by geese without harming them at all. Someone else was talking about wringing the neck of the leader of the flock. Not me. All I do is catch the gander and take the wind out of his sails by petting him a few minutes. And the only geese I've done this with, with one exception, were my own geese on my own property. The exception was a guy who wanted to sell me some adult geese from his flock but didn't know how to keep from being attacked. I did, so I caught the gander and netted the geese I wanted with the owners permission.

But lets say I was walking by your house and your geese ran out and tried to attack me. Even if you were sitting on your porch and were willing to murder me to protect your attacking geese, one second you would see your gander run up to me with me motionless and in less than a half second later the gander would be tucked under my arm, his neck held to keep him from biting me, the gander clearly unharmed and clearly in no danger.

Lets say someone came on your property and wrang the neck of your gander. If you presumed to shoot the bad guy I think you'd go to prison for a serious amount of time. Trespassing on outdoor property is only a misdemeanor. And an ordinary adult gander would be likely to cost much less than $200 unless he was of a very rare breed or had won ribbons in poultry shows. And the trespassers would have a good case for self defense because of the attacking geese, so your shooting the trespasser would likely be viewed as you p escalating a fight your geese had started. Though of course the results if a jury trial are always unpredictable

We started with raccoons and now moved on to geese. I think both have had their fair share of time and we should move on to River Otters. I have river otters that chit all over my dock and are digging out all of the styrofoam under it so they have a place to hang out. If my wife didn't think they were so cute, I'd have a nice pair of otter gloves right now. Any ideas on these varmints?

We started with raccoons and now moved on to geese. I think both have had their fair share of time and we should move on to River Otters. I have river otters that chit all over my dock and are digging out all of the styrofoam under it so they have a place to hang out. If my wife didn't think they were so cute, I'd have a nice pair of otter gloves right now. Any ideas on these varmints?
What the wife doesn't know won't hurt her. Time for Operation Tripple Ess.

The otterman empire made footrests out of them.
Pretty sure.

Here's hand feeding one of the otters that used to hang under the fish cleaning station when we were cleaning the days perch catch.
1665493648614.jpeg

River otters are similar to raccoons in being very smart, playful, capable of tempting people into feeding and tolerating them, and classified as furbearers and legally protected. The big difference is a portion of the racoon population has now evolved to become dependent on humans and capable of existing in high populations around them...like mice and rats. So much so that many humans now think of them as bigger mice or rats and treat them as vermin to be eliminated. And the laws on the books protecting raccoons are usually not enforced. The same is starting to happen in some places with urban foxes and coyotes.

When I first moved to my current house and started having trouble with raccoons, I looked at the laws, and they were based upon the assumption that coons were in low populations and wild. Not all over the place like mice or rats. Unuseful. I called the state fish and wildlife folks and sorta hedged around and asked "what people do...." For the useful advise don't ask for direct advice as to what you should do. Ask what other people do. "Well...most people just shoot them. Or trap them and shoot or drown them in the trap. They dump the trap in a pond or barrel of water. We really don't usually get involved. If you trap a problem raccoon and call us we'll come out and shoot it in the trap but it takes us a while....Easier if you take care of it yourself if you can." They didn't recommend trying to catch and release elsewhere. The coon usually just became someone else's problem if you did that.

I would start out by calling the state fish and wildlife folks. Otters may be one of the critters they will send a guy out to trap and relocate, just like they do with nuisance bears. Or beavers, who can flood your home or flood out a road if they build a dam in an inconvenient spot. If not, you can at least find out what other people are doing if you ask right.

Last Edited:
another BIG raccoon on the porch tonight when I went out for wine
stepped back in the house, grabbed the 10/22, but the red dot is dead - guess I left it on last time
stepped backoutside and this big guy is only 10' away - don't' need a red dot for that
hit him 2 times and to my surprise, he growled and charged me

F--- THIS - at point blank range - 8 more - couldn't miss
was using Mini Mag hollow points - big bloody hole in his back from exit wounds- will move the body in the morning
never had a wounded raccoon charge me before

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads