JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll relatively new to reloading and just finshed setting up my reloading equipment. (XL 650)
After experimenting, learning, calibrating, etc., I'm left with a few errors:
Some have the primer upside down, some are seated too high because there was powder residue in the primer pocket first.
I've learned and corrected the proceedure which led up to this but need the following help as it's not in any of the manuals.

How do you safety remove these unfired primers? Seems if I run them through the machine, the de-capping die could set off the primer. Or, do the primers need a fast strike to make them go bang?

Thanks for any help here.

I just de-cap them in the normal manner, but slowly and with nothing else like powder around. I wear glasses, but would suggest safety glasses if you don't. Never had one ignite.

I"ve done it many times,as have hundreds of other folks and no one has said they set one off...yet. don'tmean it can't happen,so turn your head,wear ear protection,and NO powder near the operation.
One good reason to keep a single stage press on hand with a universal de capping die...and other operations along the way

Please don't put WD-40 in your cases. It's a biotch to clean out of the case and can later contaminate the new primers and powder. Just push the primers out.

I've popped a couple of primers and they go bang about like a cap gun - no biggie. +1 for removing all other flammables from the area, wearing safety glasses and hearing protection.

If you happen to be particularly jumpy, might want to put on some Depends, LOL. :D

No harm done if one goes off.

$.02

650's have a tendence to roll the 1st or last primer in the loading tube, extra caution, is helpful. Also the primer may flip at the last minute at insertion, not often, but with the dillon it does happen. Been loading on 2-650's for years, and always have a few per/1000 that I have to tear apart. The high primer issue, usually is not the dirty primer pocket, but caused my limp seating pull/pushing. More attention to that will correct about 99% of that problem. If the primer does go off at deprime, the depriming station on the 650, will direct the pop, away from you. More noise, and a small jump on my part, but with safety glass, you should be good to go..
650's have an inherant problem, they like LOTS of components.. Good Luck, and keep up the loading.. sr

650's have a tendence to roll the 1st or last primer in the loading tube, extra caution, is helpful. Also the primer may flip at the last minute at insertion, not often, but with the dillon it does happen......

Since it was my first time using this, I was extra careful and slow. I was therefore very surprised to see the 2 backwards primers. It very well could be as you described above. I'll watch for that next time on the first and last. Thanks for your insight.

Last Edited:
I never thought to ask about this myself! I have a can that I had been throwing them in. Thanks for the thread DootyBeet.

This is a great site with lots of differing experiences. Although I don't post much, I read quite a bit of the information shared here.

So once these primers are de-primed are they unusable, are can they be used in a new casing?

Ruined. They have a captive anvil that will most likely be damaged. They might not fit tight again. Too many maybes. Not worth the chance. Primers are cheap, one at a time!

Please don't put WD-40 in your cases. It's a biotch to clean out of the case and can later contaminate the new primers and powder.

Of all the steps involved in reloading, cleaning a dirty case is the most simple thing. Whether it is lube or burned powder residue

Toss it in the tumbler.

By all means though, grab your reloading manual and read what it says to do about punching a live primer.

Of all the steps involved in reloading, cleaning a dirty case is the most simple thing. Whether it is lube or burned powder residue

Toss it in the tumbler.

By all means though, grab your reloading manual and read what it says to do about punching a live primer.

I don't want to contaminate my tumbler or tumbler media with WD-40, but that's just me. I personally believe that the product will kill primers and powder.

"Dillion" on Dillon's site says to simply push them out, no if and or buts. Link

"He" does recommend putting water in the catcher to keep from igniting other primers that have been pushed out, but we already covered keeping everything flammable away. Also, some presses don't have a catcher.

$.02

If you're truly concerned about them going off, but them in the gun and pull the trigger. (with the barrel pointed in a safe direction)Then you've got a spent primer to de-cap. This is super simple if it's a revolver, a bit more complex with rifles and semi-auto handguns.
I used to do that, but that was long ago.
I'd never reuse a primer, either. I like my rounds to go BOOM. The only time I had a misfire was with a primer that I purchased "second" hand. Fortunately it was a practice round, not one for hunting....

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews