JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am organizing another Darrington Pit Clean Up (435th. Ave) on June 5th.
I called the DNR guy today and he said they closed the gate on 435thAve. because of all the garbge and junk cars people are leaving up in that area. The only acess to the pit is the back way in. There is one spot that is steep and rutted up by the jack asses with thier 4x4s. Looks like they stop on the incline and just sit there and spin thier tires. Cars can probably make it to the oit but you will have to go slow and stradle the ruts.
It shouldn't take to long for a complete upper & lower pit clean up.
I will supply some tools, rakes, shovels, trash bags, magnets to pick up the shotgun hulls and steel rifle & pistol cases. The shotgun hulls can go in plastic bags and i have plenty of plastic buckets to put the steel rifle & pistol.cases in.
Like last year I will supply coke, sprite & water on ice and will have some budweisers on ice for afterwards.

I have some brass to reload that I will list in the classifieds to sell to help cover the cost to dump the garbage as well as take donations to pay for the dump fee.
Last weekend I picked up a lot of the bigger heavy metal items and took that to the recycle yard.
On the way in there is a spot some one dumped a bunch of fiberglass or plastic panels that needs to be cleaned up as well as the pit. There will probably be a full load of that garbge with the side boards on.
If any one has another pick up to bring up there that would be great.
------ ----------- -------
This is the worst spot at the pit to clean up.

20210502_182116.jpg

---------------------------
This is the garbage on the way in .
20210502_195428.jpg

-----------------------------

There is half a chair some ont threw out on the way in we can grab.
20210502_200413.jpg

---------------------

This is the metal trash we picked up on Sunday.
20210502_190908.jpg

Last July about eight guys for this forum and WaGuns made it out there and we got the lower pit cleaned up really nice.
I can not thank you guys enough for helping out.

I got it on my calendar, Pat. Planning to come. I'll help with some disposal cost. I have a pickup too and will be happy to help haul some trash (looks like there's a lot!).

If I were to come up on Friday night, is there a place close by that I could camp? (hopefully, somewhere on the backside in). If so, would anyone else join me in a camp out? (camping could very well be the best part of a cleanup!)

What time to meet at the pit?

Bill

I got it on my calendar, Pat. Planning to come. I'll help with some disposal cost. I have a pickup too and will be happy to help haul some trash (looks like there's a lot!).

If I were to come up on Friday night, is there a place close by that I could camp? (hopefully, somewhere on the backside in). If so, would anyone else join me in a camp out? (camping could very well be the best part of a cleanup!)

What time to meet at the pit?

Bill
There is a spot to camp at by the river I believe Pat camps up there a few times a year with his grandson.

June 5 is still a month away.
So I will have to wait till it gets closer to see if we can make it up.
But if we can make it we will have at least one truck.

There is a spot to camp at by the river I believe Pat camps up there a few times a year with his grandson.
Yeah, it's a 5-6 hour drive from Washougal, so I'd need to leave by noon on Friday. But, I love to camp and I'd like to help Pat with this cleanup. It's still tentative for me, but I'm not scheduling anything else for that weekend if I can help it.

Bill thank you, thrre is a real nice place to camp about 1/2 a mile below the pit right on the river.
That is where I camp with my grsndson all of the time.
There is plenty of firewood to be had close by and I have a chainsaw.
I will camp there Friday night.
For people coming up Saturday morning someone can meet them at the Shell station on 530 & Sweede Haven Road.
We do get cell service at the pit, not at the camp site.
One of the DNR law enforcement officers might stop by durring the clean up.
If people want to do the camp I will take off early on Friday and get a bunch of firewood cut & split for the event. I will be up there this coming Saturday and will clean up any trash at the camp site when we get done shooting.

This will be a fun event for sure. I'm looking forward to it.

Bill thank you, thrre is a real nice place to camp about 1/2 a mile below the pit right on the river.
That is where I camp with my grsndson all of the time.
There is plenty of firewood to be had close by and I have a chainsaw.
I will camp there Friday night.
For people coming up Saturday morning someone can meet them at the Shell station on 530 & Sweede Haven Road.
We do get cell service at the pit, not at the camp site.
One of the DNR law enforcement officers might stop by durring the clean up.
If people want to do the camp I will take off early on Friday and get a bunch of firewood cut & split for the event. I will be up there this coming Saturday and will clean up any trash at the camp site when we get done shooting.

This will be a fun event for sure. I'm looking forward to it.
I'm let Mel know we will probably get up there.

We went to the pit today, left the house at 8:30 this morning and got back around 5pm. We went shooting with a few friends, my grandson got to ride his mini bike, shoot some handguns and a couple of rifles. We used the upper pit, there were three trucks down in the lower pit when we arrived there.
We picked up twp 5 gallon buckets and a 3 gallon pucket of shotgun hulls and a 3 gallon bucket of steel rifle & piston cases.

After we packed up we took a ride down to the camping spot by the bridge and it was clean down there. I will do a clean up on the camping spot when we get up there on the 4th.
We will be going back up to the pit next weekend if any one wants to go up then.

20210508_145448.jpg 20210508_145634.jpg 20210508_145703.jpg 20210508_145709.jpg 20210508_154214.jpg

Like I said we were up there last week .
The shooting range is pretty clean but it could use a good sweeping.
Lots of little stuff to be cleaned.
We didn't go down past the pit but we did see some stuff on the upper road .
Mattress and half a recliner some other stuff.
I hope the DNR guy shows up when we go to clean it next month.

I would like to pick his brain on what they are doing to stop the trash dumping.
Besides closing the gate.
They need to set up cameras or something.to catch the people dumping trash.

So Friday June 4th I will be taking off of work and will head up to the pit around noon or so.
A couple of guys will be comeing up later on Friday and¹ will be camping out at the camp site just below the pit. About a half a mile below the pit right across the Stilly River Bridge.
If any one who lives close by and can not camp up there is welcome to come up Friday late afternoon and socialize around the camp fire.
The actual clean up will start at 9am on Saturday morning.
The complete clean up should wrap up by noon, maybe 1pm depending on how many of you guys show up. After the clean up you guys can shoot, if EPS comes up he has a 12 volt car battery electric clay pigeon thrower he could bring so we can shoot clay pigeons.
The lower pit you can reach out just over eighty yards. The upper pit is close to a hundred yards.
Cogs is planning on coming up late Friday afternoon and will be camping up there.

It is five miles back in the woods. From where you turn on to the Sweede Haven Road Darrington is about five or six mile farter on Rt.530. They have a tavern and a grocery store there as well as a hardware store.

I have listed some brass on this forum, The High Road forum, HuntWa forum and on WaGuns forum and raised over $400 for the tipping fee. That should cover the cost of dumping all of the trash.
The transfer station closed at 4pm on Saturday so who ever hauks trash away we can all go together and I will pay the tipping fee for all of the trash.
If by chance it runs over what I raised I will pay the difference.

I am taking my grandson up to the pit tomorrow morning for a few hours. If any one whats to meet go there and sling some lead we will be there aroud 8:30 in the morning.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top