JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is the quote from the WA law:
RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty — Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or

(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

The part you highlighted deals with switch blades (and similar) not fixed blade double edged knives.

This part
(b) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or
looks like it is just saying it is illegal to conceal a dagger. Though there may be some other law that actually says it is illegal to possess a dagger, this seems like it would have been a good place to state that possession of a dagger is illegal, if it is indeed illegal.

Every sporting goods shop in the State wouldn't be selling them if they were illegal to own.

Edit: I've read the laws a few times to answer my own questions on the matter, and nowhere did it say you cannot own a dagger, nor did it specifically mention legal vs. illegal blade lengths. I seem to remember, however, that it is lawful to carry on ones person a dirk/dagger if you are leaving for or returning from an activity that would reasonably dictate needful use of such a tool, i.e., if you're on the way back from a hunting trip and you have to stop to use the facilities, it's legal open carry a large fixed blade.

Don't ask me how common sense relates to this, though. I can't answer you that.

PS: Congrats to our state finally doing away with at least one ridiculous legal issue regarding arms........suppressors can now be used! High 5's all round!

WA. RCW's

RCW 9.41.270: Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 426; 1969 c 8 § 1.]

Notes:
Finding -- Intent -- Severability -- 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540.

Effective date -- 1994 sp.s. c 7 §§ 401-410, 413-416, 418-437, and 439-460: See note following RCW 9.41.010.

Subsection (1) doesn't say you can't carry. All it says is that you can't carry a weapon capable of producing bodily harm in a threatening manner.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry... in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

What do you mean "finds"? Concealing said dagger is a separate matter, and one I'm not talking about.

cyclesarge already quoted part of the law you're talking about. Go ahead and read it.

RCW 9.41.250 (1) and (2)
The law doesn't have an exception for LEOs to carry "dirks" or "daggers" in a furtive manner. They CAN carry a "switchblade" though. (At least that's what it says to me when I read it, quoted above several times.) The operative legality (notwithstanding law-ignorant LEOs hasseling you), is that dirks (single-bladed knives) and daggers (double-bladed knives) can be both owned and carried openly, but not "furtively". To do anything "furtively" implies sneaking with nefarious intent.

The RCW-writers probably believed that anyone carrying a boot-knife for protection must be up to no good; you know: Only "Bad People" carry knives!

Oh by the way, the law has a funny catch-22: They may not want you to carry one, but if you've got one it's ok to defend yourself with it! RCW 9.41.270 (3)(c)

People think that "Arms" only applies to guns: Wrong; any tool primary used for fighting is an "Arm" - swords, bows & arrows, sling-shots, matchlocks, plasma rifles, the list goes on - and includes dirks and daggers. Nanny State BS.

Somehow, the "Dangerous Weapon" laws must be brought under State Preemption, and then reduced to "if you use it to harm someone else, not in self-defense, then you pay the consequences": Sounds a lot like Constitutional Carry and Castle Doctrine, don't it?

Saw something yesterday, picked up on KeepAndBearArms.com: A study that shows Washington to be near the bottom of the 50 states for "Freedom" and "Liberty". I was surprised. Only New York, NJ, Hawaii, Maryland, California were worse. Oregon was low-middle.

Correct: Washington has a "Concealed PISTOL License". Knives & other tools are covered as "dangerous weapons", which you may not carry in a "furtive" manner. No realistic exceptions for LEOs or concealed-carry permit holders.

Here is the quote from the WA law:
RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons — Penalty — Exemption for law enforcement officers.

(1) Every person who:

(a) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) of this section does not apply to:

(a) The possession of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer while the officer:

(i) Is on official duty; or

(ii) Is transporting the knife to or from the place where the knife is stored when the officer is not on official duty; or

(b) The storage of a spring blade knife by a law enforcement officer.

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

If you are still talking about daggers and dirks then you have the wrong passage high lighted.

Sec (1) (a) deals with folding knives and brass knuckles and saps.

Sec (1) (b) deals with fixed blade knives

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads