JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I honestly cannot vouch they look good but I am definitely a S&W guy if I am going to have a revolver and stay with the 686 and 629 that is pretty much it .
I'm debating on if my Python needs an SAA brother

DSC_4150.jpg

As an aside, for those who didn't already know; the CZ buyout of Colt became official on May 24, 2021. Anything before that day is an original Colt. If it's a brand new Colt, there should be a QR code tag on the trigger guard. You can get the date of manufacture from that and you'll know for sure if you have a Colt or a CZ Colt.

I have all the following guns, so I speak from experience:
I would not fear SAA quality; single action let off and timing should be impeccable; I have 3rd gen 45Colt and 357mag.
The new Python however is another story... mine had a defective rear sight (colt replaced), chattered crown (colt fixed) - horrid accuracy but OK now, and something they won't fix... a 5-6lb SA trigger with a sear step to prevent AD if dropped cocked. The DA trigger engagement uses a different sear notch iirc, and is my preferred method of shooting this particular gun. The timing is spot on.
The older Pythons ie Rick Grimes' stainless 6" in Walking Dead is stellar in every respect. I love mine.
I have fondled the cheaper line of current Colt revolvers and find their triggers lacking in smoothness of the Python. One thing I cannot stand is the scan code engraved on the new guns. Very low class.
My recommendation is to save your sheckles and buy an older Python, or any SAA in unmolested shape; avoid the ones that have been used in SASS; they get abused and fanned.

I have all the following guns, so I speak from experience:
I would not fear SAA quality; single action let off and timing should be impeccable; I have 3rd gen 45Colt and 357mag.
The new Python however is another story... mine had a defective rear sight (colt replaced), chattered crown (colt fixed) - horrid accuracy but OK now, and something they won't fix... a 5-6lb SA trigger with a sear step to prevent AD if dropped cocked. The DA trigger engagement uses a different sear notch iirc, and is my preferred method of shooting this particular gun. The timing is spot on.
The older Pythons ie Rick Grimes' stainless 6" in Walking Dead is stellar in every respect. I love mine.
I have fondled the cheaper line of current Colt revolvers and find their triggers lacking in smoothness of the Python. One thing I cannot stand is the scan code engraved on the new guns. Very low class.
My recommendation is to save your sheckles and buy an older Python, or any SAA in unmolested shape; avoid the ones that have been used in SASS; they get abused and fanned.
I've got the 90s Stainless Python, and I'm looking at a NIB SAA.

I bought a fairly new ( brand new, never fired, just sat in a display case for at least forever ) Anaconda recently, and it was almost flawless! The only gripes were: Cheaply made wood grips, a very slight gritty feel to the trigger, and the the hammer notches were not as sure feeling or sounding when you drew the hammer back! I took the chance and bought it anyway and upon disassembly at home, addressed those issues! The trigger and hammer were just over lubed and had attracted some grit, once cleaned and re-assembled, it ran glassy smooth! The grips were something else, but I have tons of really gorgeous walnut, cocobolo and Brier, so I picked a piece of Brier and carved a proper set and hand checkered them and then carefully lifted out the gold pony's and inlaid them into the new grips!

I only wish they offered the new Snakes in Blued instead of only stainless!
My 2 Older Pythons are absolutely bomb proof, sexy as hell, and they shoot so nice, it's almost blasphemy to carry them, but I do!

My newest Colt SAA is a New Frontier in 44 special, can't remember when I bought it but it was the latest offering before they sold out to CZ. I love the gun and it's really good quality and even the wood grips fit well.

In the past I bought some third gen guns from owners who bought them as an investment. Outside of the guns looked perfect but on three different guns they didn't do any maintenance. For instance you could not remove the cylinder pins on all three by hand. I suspect they were afraid to turn the cylinders and never oiled them.

Another guy packed the action with heavy grease. You couldn't see it without a light but damn it was a mess to clean. Brand new guns never fired yet the guys didn't care for them I guess.

Make sure you check for bolt cut shade inside the cylinder walls, that is the weakest point on the 45s.

Last Edited:
Maybe poke around the Colt Forum. There is the greatest knowledge base that I have ever seen there. If you have the serial number, you can check the year of birth here: https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup
Colt has been pretty good at taking care of warranty claims - it is just that there are so many lately. As to the Single Action Army, those made in the mid-80s during a labor strike are the ones to avoid.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top