JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive been shooting for 23 years and have finally convinced myself to retrain to shoot rifles left handed. What an awkward feeling... When I was a kid and my dad was teaching me to shoot I developed a form where I could use my left eye to shoot right handed, and actually hit stuff. Handguns it wasnt so weird and I still shoot them with my left eye. The rifles were a different story. I guess to a WWII vet it probably looked like a circus act.. My grandpa just about fell over laughing when he seen it and I stopped shooting rifles with my left eye. Now I dont even see how I did it. I can in no way shoot like that. I think my head grew and my neck stiffened up...

So I need tips on switching it up. Besides just shooting a lot. How did you guys do it? Military experiences maybe? Some coaching tips you got along the way? Anything you got. Throw it at me! Thanks a bunch!

I'm cross dominant, used to shoot righty exclusively, but with worsening sight in my right eye, I now shoot both sides depending on where I can get the better cheekweld...usually left stance/left eye when shooting open sights or right stance/left eye when shooting with scopes. I do this from all positions. I found that somewhat practice and a fairly short amount of time were all that were required to get rid of that awkward feeling. I actually shoot now as an open sight lefty better than I did as a righty because I didn't 'relearn' some old bad habits.

Keith

a very simple way to fix your problem but will cost you a little $ is to have your gun stock remade with a slight bend in it so you are shooting r handed but are able to line up your l eye. ___!------- kinda like this.

If you're re training your left eye to be dominate then when shooting wear clear safety glasses and place a small piece of scotch tape over the right lens to blur the vision of the right eye. you can even just wear the glasses around for a while and it will train your left eye to be dominate

So I need tips on switching it up. Besides just shooting a lot.

That's it.

Practice, practice, and a little more practice... followed up with even more practice.
I'm hopelessly right handed but I'm legally blind in my right eye. So, I had to learn to shoot rifles left hand.
There's no book theory that will train your muscles, reflexes, and/or coordination. It's all about practice.

You want a tip? Practice with a 22lr. With the amount of practice you'll need, shooting 22lr will save you an incredible amount of money.

If you're re training your left eye to be dominate then when shooting wear clear safety glasses and place a small piece of scotch tape over the right lens to blur the vision of the right eye. you can even just wear the glasses around for a while and it will train your left eye to be dominate

This is if you have any problems with squinting or sight picture. I would do it regardless to ease the process and get your brain focused on your left side.

Yeah My left eye is dominant by far. Its just my body that keeps telling me "this is wrong wtf are we doing"? The only time my right eye works OK is thru a scope. I cant even read this computer screen with my left eye shut. With my right eye shut I can read it from 6 feet away.lol. I have a bunch of .22s and that is the plan just shoot shoot and shoot a little more. Its not so awkward while prone. Standing and kneeling are the really weird ones... Thanks a bunch for the input!!

I have the same issue, and generally find shooting rifles less enjoyable than pistol or shotgun as a result. Lately, I've been focusing on keeping both eyes open when I am lining up my open sight picture. It's only been a few recent shooting trips trying 'both eyes open' but it seems fix the prob. May be worth a try.

My left eye is really dominant so when I shoot right handed with both eyes open I dont see the sights. I see like my right eye is closed with both eyes open. If I shoot left handed, both eyes open it works great. Just feels awkward as Im new to it. I shot around 600 rounds day before yesterday prone and standing, switching back and forth right to left to get the kinks worked out of my left handed stance. It seems to be coming together. Just slowly...

The three P's are the most important. I'm what I call very un-left handed and my right eye is pretty dominant. When I first started shooting without squinting my left eye, I had to concentrate on focusing my eyes so much so I didn't have double vision it affected my accuracy horribly. But with enough practice, keeping both eyes open and focused is slowly (and I mean very slowly) getting easier.

I thought about using tape, but I find myself stubborn and doing it the hard way.

I learned how to shoot handguns with more of a weaver stance, which I found to negate any sort or eye dominance. I've slowly adapted it comfort and practicability wise to more of a modified weaver squaring my upper body and staggering my feet.

All in all...The 3 P's and a ludicrous amount of practice helps....eventually

My left eye is really dominant so when I shoot right handed with both eyes open I dont see the sights. I see like my right eye is closed with both eyes open. If I shoot left handed, both eyes open it works great. Just feels awkward as Im new to it. I shot around 600 rounds day before yesterday prone and standing, switching back and forth right to left to get the kinks worked out of my left handed stance. It seems to be coming together. Just slowly...

Start and stay with he left eye/left hand combination. Do not switch to work out kinks. i found I was left eye dominant after i had a device placed on my left chest so i can shoot rifles left hand, Pistols i begin to shoot left handed and after a few trips i noticed I was shooting with both eyes open and aiming pretty good too.
You practice does not have to be live fire you do dry-fire. you can also use snap caps at home. So when you go to the range your time is more fun and productive

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top