JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to derail the thread, but I have found the Lansky to be one of the very best blades of it's type for clearing out large amounts of brush and blackberries. Holds a edge pretty good, and sharpens up with out a whole lot of work. I find it works best with a 17 deg edge done on a knife sharpening belt sander using the medium and fine grit belts.
Just thought I would pass on another option for you fellers.
LS50775.jpg

The real test is not whether the knife works out of the box. The real test is how well it holds an edge and whether it will take a new edge and hold it. Yep, it has everything to do with the quality of the steel and the heat treating. I worked on process control equipment in steel mills for several years. There's a difference between bailing wire and piano wire that the Chinese sometimes don't seem to understand or care about.

Not to derail the thread, but I have found the Lansky to be one of the very best blades of it's type for clearing out large amounts of brush and blackberries. Holds a edge pretty good, and sharpens up with out a whole lot of work. I find it works best with a 17 deg edge done on a knife sharpening belt sander using the medium and fine grit belts.
View attachment 361644

Interesting. I have something that looks similar by Schrade and it is the worst of my long blades, especially the handle which is way too small.

SCHKM1n.jpg

The holes in the blade seem to be a styling cue from 'The Book of Eli' - personally, I prefer the bulk weight of the blade to be in that area, not less weight. That is what I don't like about my Cold Steel Magnum machete - for its length it is too light and flimsy, besides the fact that it doesn't cut anything very well.

Last Edited:
The real test is not whether the knife works out of the box. The real test is how well it holds an edge and whether it will take a new edge and hold it. Yep, it has everything to do with the quality of the steel and the heat treating. I worked on process control equipment in steel mills for several years. There's a difference between bailing wire and piano wire that the Chinese sometimes don't seem to understand or care about.

In my experience, those that know in China don't care unless they are made to care. As long as it sells they are happy. To get a quality product out of China you have to have someone there who cares themselves, making them care. That is why the companies like Apple/etc., have their own people supervising their manufacturing there and checking the quality. That and/or inspecting the product before accepting it.

Eventually more and more of China will learn this lesson and then watch out.

Well, I could use one with the blackberries I'm trying to keep under control - bummer though it's a 1-2 month lead time on the order. Oh well, by the time it ships I'll probably have forgotten about it and it will be a nice surprise.

Well, I could use one with the blackberries I'm trying to keep under control - bummer though it's a 1-2 month lead time on the order. Oh well, by the time it ships I'll probably have forgotten about it and it will be a nice surprise.

I ordered 2 and the shipping on it says June. I've ordered stuff like that before and after a couple of weeks they said 'oh look, we can ship it sooner'. I don't care - I already have one and it doesn't matter to me that it will take a while to get to me either way, it isn't like I am being overwhelmed by zombies in the meantime.

resident-evil-extinction-kukri-alice.jpg

Last Edited:
I found the worst blade to be the Gerber Parang! That sucker couldn't cut it's way out of a wet paper sack! Seriously, it was super sharp, but the blade angle made it completely unable to cut any brush, it more pushed it out of the way. it didn't even chop very well unless you held it at a funny angle and sorta pushed it into the wood. I had better luck using a good Bowie Knife, then many of these new design blades. For what ever reason, this Lansky does a pretty good job of cutting and chopping, and the blade is pretty thick and carries a good amount of weight. I agree, the holes are about worthless, and in fact, they tend to plug with stuff when the pitch is soft. Other wise, it works!

The Parang and the Kukri blades are not new designs, they have been around for a quite a while. But they do have to be implemented properly, with the right weight and balance and the right angle to the handle. Of the long blades I have, so far this blade is the one that works best for me. YMMV

I would say that about 10% of the knives that I have bought over the years have not worked well for me, and those that did work, some worked better than others. There may be a lot out there that is better yet, maybe a lot better, but I am getting more and more picky about what I buy now.

I'm with ya 100% on the designs, some working, some not. I have a big drawer full of blades that looked and felt good, are supposedly made of quality materials, and yet they didn't live up to expectations.

Just got an email today that mine has shipped - much earlier than expected, and due to me by next Tuesday! Ordered on May 7th. No two month wait :)

Yeah - I just got an email too.

This is common for Amazon - when they aren't sure, they tell you some date further out, and then often deliver before then.

That doesn't make up for the many times they have promised two day shipping and not delivered for a week. Their 'two day" shipping means once they ship, it will take two or three days to get to me, but they may also take two or three days to get it out the door.:rolleyes:

Yeah - I just got an email too.

This is common for Amazon - when they aren't sure, they tell you some date further out, and then often deliver before then.

That doesn't make up for the many times they have promised two day shipping and not delivered for a week. Their 'two day" shipping means once they ship, it will take two or three days to get to me, but they may also take two or three days to get it out the door.:rolleyes:

I have prime, and anything they say will take two days it usually does, if for some reason it takes longer they have reimbursed me for some of it in the past.

I have prime too, but two day shipping means from the time it goes out the door, not from the time of the order. It doesn't make that much difference to me - I got prime for free shipping and for the vids/etc. Whether it gets to me tomorrow or next week usually doesn't matter to me.

Yep, back when the Gerber Parang came out I opened one in the store. I held it in front at waist high and wiggled it backand forth. It rippled back and forth like it was made of rubber! Unhuh! Not buying one of these!
In fact I quit buying Gerbers then and there, too! :cool:

Yep, back when the Gerber Parang came out I opened one in the store. I held it in front at waist high and wiggled it backand forth. It rippled back and forth like it was made of rubber! Unhuh! Not buying one of these!
In fact I quit buying Gerbers then and there, too! :cool:

I have some good Gerber knives - some of my favorites; an LMFII, a Prodigy and interestingly their BG folder sheath knife - which a lot of people like to say is flimsy/etc., but just to see if it was ($16 so not much to lose) I batoned it and abused it while it was stuck in a round, and it held up - the blade is no worse for wear and the lock, while loser, still locks. How many folders will take that kind of punishment?

I got their Profile and I did not like the ergos at all. The Freeman Guide I like, but I have to modify the tang as they purposely made it so it sticks out from the scales all around and has jimping all all around, making it hard on your hands - otherwise it is a nice little knife.

Many consumer brands have some knife that didn't turn out right, but that doesn't mean all of their knives are crap. I always read/watch reviews and I only buy certain kinds of knife styles that I like and think will be good. So far only about 10% have not been quite what I like, but they will either be modified or used for barter.

View attachment 361644

Interesting. I have something that looks similar by Schrade and it is the worst of my long blades, especially the handle which is way too small.

View attachment 361671

The holes in the blade seem to be a styling cue from 'The Book of Eli' - personally, I prefer the bulk weight of the blade to be in that area, not less weight. That is what I don't like about my Cold Steel Magnum machete - for its length it is too light and flimsy, besides the fact that it doesn't cut anything very well.

I know a guy named Eli that carries one of those.

IMG_5431.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads