JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been looking at the 2 title knives for a bit and it's getting to be that time of year my wife starts asking for my 'want list' so I was looking for some feedback from people who have one or both knives as I have not been able to find them locally to get my paws on.

I have XXL hands so that is a factor as well.

The Provoke I have seen listed at widely ranging prices for models that look to have very small spec differences - is there a large reason to go with one priced at $160 vs $75? Other then a novelty and maybe one more nice compact knife to have in a pocket I wouldn't really be using it for much other then opening tapped up boxes unless I got into a physical altercation.

The Launch 1 just looks like a beefy useable blade and isn't that expensive, plus I am a Kershaw fan.

Any personal feedback would be appreciated :cool:

Well.........they aren't really comparable knives. They are two completely different styles......

Well.........they aren't really comparable knives. They are two completely different styles......
For sure - mostly I'm interested in why the huge price difference on the provoke when it's a tiny spec change unless people want to pay $90 more dollars for black vs a colored one.

Also I want them both for different reasons, was just curious if people had them and were either happy or not impressed

I've been looking at the 2 title knives for a bit and it's getting to be that time of year my wife starts asking for my 'want list' so I was looking for some feedback from people who have one or both knives as I have not been able to find them locally to get my paws on.

I have XXL hands so that is a factor as well.

The Provoke I have seen listed at widely ranging prices for models that look to have very small spec differences - is there a large reason to go with one priced at $160 vs $75? Other then a novelty and maybe one more nice compact knife to have in a pocket I wouldn't really be using it for much other then opening tapped up boxes unless I got into a physical altercation.

The Launch 1 just looks like a beefy useable blade and isn't that expensive, plus I am a Kershaw fan.

Any personal feedback would be appreciated :cool:
I have never bought those 2 brand names myself but I have heard and read about them.

Do you have the LINKS for each knife brand and style on hand?

I can look them up since just reading about them in a post does not give me that much information.

Please excuse my ignorance on these knives.

Thank you.

Old Lady Cate

I looked them up. The links are posted above.

Cate

For sure - mostly I'm interested in why the huge price difference on the provoke when it's a tiny spec change unless people want to pay $90 more dollars for black vs a colored one.

Also I want them both for different reasons, was just curious if people had them and were either happy or not impressed
Hello Joe13,

I have no clue what would be better for you with these brand names and styles of knives that you mentioned in your original post.

I thought that IF it was a fixed blade knife or something like my FORMER folding knives - pocket knives that I used to own and use that I could give you my opinion.

But they are not like what I used to own or own now.

Best wishes to you. Let us know what you decide to get and how much you like your new knife.

If you are looking for a smaller fixed blade knife - I could give you some ideas there.

Take care!

Cate

I have the Provoke. It was gifted to me by my brother that is into knives. It's up there with the most unique knives I own. However it's pretty useless in my opinion. Unless needlessly playing with it counts. It is fun to play with, the mechanism to deploy the knife is pretty satisfying. Like messing around with an OTG auto. It is also a pita to sharpen. I've only done that once. I'll likely never do it myself again. I'll have someone else do it. It was pretty sharp when I got it, but using it as a box opener/box break down knife might not have been its best served purpose and it eventually needed sharpening. Now it just sits in the workbench and I admittedly, still use it to open boxes!

The pocket clip on it takes some getting used to. And it can be pulled from the pocket in a way that it deploys on retrieval. So it definitely works well for its intended uses. IE it's decently suitable as a defense weapon. Thing is, that's about all its good for in my opinion.

If I'd got to pick from the two it would be an automatic. Lately I've been rocking the full sized donut by boker. Great sized knife.

Also the Kershaw 6 is a bigger sized knife compared to the 1. You may be better suited with that with larger hands.

I have several kershaw launch's and a provoke. IMO, the launch's are far more servicable. The launch 2 kind of sucks, (insufficient spring strength) but the others are GTG from what I hear

Sportsman's in clackamas has the provoke. I wasn't impressed. I was looking for a cheap trinket knife and I still passed.

I have a Launch 3 and it's been my favorite edc since I bought it. The clip hooked on the hatch of my crane one afternoon and pulled it out of my pocket and it fell 150' to the ground. Aside from a couple small nicks it looks fine. I highly recommend it's a great knife
C8119ECD-287F-4CB7-991F-646F0601AA37.jpeg

Just to report back…

I was getting the impression that auto's are still a no go in WA even though I work in OR and have plenty of folders so I went with asking for the provoke zap.

The all black provoke is all steel and aluminum. The 3 colored ones are polymer with the steel blade and what everything connect to (plus the clip is steel).

I wouldn't use this to open boxes but it does fit in my 'coin' pocket of my jeans nicely and will make a nice little deterrent if I ever have to pull it. Having a gun with me always is not 100% feasible with some jobs so this will give me some piece of mind and is a fun little fidget.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Just to report back…

I was getting the impression that auto's are still a no go in WA even though I work in OR and have plenty of folders so I went with asking for the provoke zap.

The all black provoke is all steel and aluminum. The 3 colored ones are polymer with the steel blade and what everything connect to (plus the clip is steel).

I wouldn't use this to open boxes but it does fit in my 'coin' pocket of my jeans nicely and will make a nice little deterrent if I ever have to pull it. Having a gun with me always is not 100% feasible with some jobs so this will give me some piece of mind and is a fun little fidget.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Mind posting a pic?

Mind posting a pic?
It's a green/yellow color.

They have a blue, orange and grey in the polymer (I like my Glock so I figure polymer can't be that awful) but the color I liked the best happened to be the cheapest of the lot so it was a win win.

Basically goes from a very compact package to a fixed blade and very fidget worthy.

536E1A25-FB41-484C-A70A-D7014064FEC9.png 2C6DD8C3-F2F1-4293-83E7-D5883BC98221.png

Is the intended use self defense? I notice you said that you wouldn't be using it to open boxes.

Is the intended use self defense? I notice you said that you wouldn't be using it to open boxes.
Yes, other then a fidget and unusual knife my only use for this would be self defense.

I have other knives that would work about as well (I prefer a reverse grip while using a blade anyway) but all of them have a longer blade then many places allow and this one gets around some of those things and stays in the realm of most likely legal in any city, county or state.

I don't have a black belt in anything but I spent my youth fighting and my younger years in many different martial arts, I doubt I'll ever be in a situation I can't de escalate due to my physical size and demeanor but I hope to never need my CC either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top