Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ruger (not really) CRKT Tomahawk

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by WAYNO, Jan 15, 2015.

1. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Straight from the shopruger.com catalogue, Ruger is now showcasing knives and such from CRKT with Rugers logo emblazoned on it.

I've never been enamored with CRKT importing their stuff from Taiwan, and this Tomahawk is just as imported as anything else I've ever seen from CRKT.

But at $69, the price is right.

I don't know how or why my axes and hatchets disappear, but I don't think I could find a single one. But whoever got 'em, didn't take the chainsaws.

I absolutely require that I keep chopping tools in my truck 100% of the time, and a small axe, a big axe, or a hatchet has come in handy many times over a lot of years.

So, since I was in the market for a small axe, or some folks call them a boys axe, and since I have no experience with a tomahawk, I figured I'd give this one a try. I weighed it, and my scale says it weighs less than three pounds. But it feels heavy. I like heavy in a small axe.
    Whatcha think?
    P1020268_zpsea400716.jpg

WAYNO.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Stomper, mjbskwim and orygun like this.
  2. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

3. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I like it!

4. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

5. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

smack that edge against some steel for me would ya and let me know how it holds up? :D

6. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Everson, Wa. Well-Known Member

The Gun Works out of Springfield OR. , have a number of different tomahawks you can choose from if the Ruger / CRKT one dosen't work out for you.
    Andy

7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

That "Ruger" kinda speaks to me. The "hook" seems well thought out and puts it in a different class.. for "utility".. hopefully it's not made of sintered/fail metal. It looks suspect to me.
    The Estwing makes me cringe. Come on.. never ever skeletonize a frigin blade of any sort for crying out loud.

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

9. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

I have a Woods Chogan without the Ruger marking.

I like it - it is heavy enough to split quarter rounds and it chops well. It also can be thrown like a t-hawk. I don't care for the lacquered finish on the handle - makes it too slippery, so I sprayed it wit plasti-dip to get more of a grip on the handle.

That said, I prefer the British Belt Axe from Ragweed Forge. It is half the weight so more handy to carry on my person. The handle is almost as long as the Chogan and it throws well too (I am not into throwing, I just have to try it out) - it chops okay and while it doesn't split as well, it will split if the firewood is not too hard or large. In short, just about right IMO for a "belt axe" - about the same weight as smaller hatchets I have, but more handy and useful.