JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We used to catch them all the time as kids in the local Stream that runs through town. Its a rocky bottom stream. They got maybe 6-7" long overall most were 4-5"

A few years ago I photographed this dude a short way downstream of Abiqua Falls (Oregon) ... he had to have been 5-6" long.... like a mini lobster.

4F4E1F83-FE58-4825-9B98-33FB6D710FC1.jpeg

Crawdad's are good eatin'...:D
We have 'em in Whatcom Creek and several other local creeks....not sure if they are native or not.

Most are in the 3 to 5 inch ( over all length ) range.
I've seen 'em mostly in shallow , running water...near larger rocks and debris....
Andy

Yes there are but they are quite a bit bigger than the Louisiana delicacies, still really tasty with the right boil though. Tualatin has a crawfish festival every year just south of Portland. If you throw a trap in the water with either chicken pieces or pork you'll get some.

I've seen literally lobster sized crawdads 8-9" someone claimed were pulled from Detroit Reservoir, but anytime I've ever tossed a trap of caught them they are like little mini-me crawfish in comparison. 3 inches- 4" max. But a guy can dream.

We use to catch them in the E.WA irrigation ditches by the 5 gallon buckets full.
During the summer months the traps had less, but the Fall and Winter months were plentiful.

Used to get them as kid in various creeks and drainage ditches. Put a piece of bacon on the end of a string and slowly pull them in. IIRC we did something similar at Scholls Ferry - but that was 60 years ago and my memory never was that good. I am sure the Tualatin has them though.

We used to catch them alot below lower granite dam. Big ones, from the tip of your bird finger to your wrist. Kids loved them. Did the whole boil and dip in butter thing.
No more! WDFW let a comercial guy come into the Snake River below Lower Granite dam and fish crawdads commercialy. The river is filled with traps, thousands of them. Thanks WDFW for taking fishing away from kids.

I've seen them in Northern Oregon. And Andy is right, the proper name is crawdad.

They make great bait for bass.
What's your source for "proper"? They're regional terms for the same thing. Taxonomically, crayfish, crawfish, and crawdads are the same thing. There are lots of species, but they're all the same family and the species aren't differentiated by one of the names we're discussing

Not arguing here...I understand that there are proper or correct names for things...
And yep regional names and terms are vastly different as well as fun to study.

But where I grew up if you said :
"Hey lets go get some crayfish ..."
Or
"How 'bout we catch some crawfish..."
You would be met with a blank stare and the question : " Huh , what are you talkin' bout...?"
Would be posed to you...:D
So at some times and places...the regional name or term , may be more proper...if ya want to be understood.

Crawdads they are and will remain , for me at least.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top