JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not arguing here...I understand that there are proper or correct names for things...
And yep regional names and terms are vastly different as well as fun to study.

But where I grew up if you said :
"Hey lets go get some crayfish ..."
Or
"How 'bout we catch some crawfish..."
You would be met with a blank stare and the question : " Huh , what are you talkin' bout...?"
Would be posed to you...:D
So at some times and places...the regional name or term , may be more proper...if ya want to be understood.

Crawdads they are and will remain , for me at least.
Andy

Same for me. I'd only heard of crawdads until I was in an adult, then I moved to the South where they have crawfish shrines. I don't remember the first time I heard crayfish, but it was a northerner and I assumed it was a fancier crawfish. I always thought they were different beings until I got curious and looked it up one day. It's still difficult for me to grasp that those gross things I played with as a kid in muddy creeks are the same things I'd eat pounds of every weekend.

Every Bass and Walleye I catch is full of Crawdads. I use Crawdad Rattle Traps and we catch a lot of Bass in the Columbia.

thanks for the replies. Andy, I'll try to get some out of the Nooksak, and maybe a few lakes when we can fish again.
Hey now. One of the forum rules is to be excellent to each other. I think bringing in enough cra(y)wdads(fish) for a proper boil for all of us would be the only acceptable way to be excellent. I'll bring the Zataran's and andouille sausage

I would not have believed this, unless I saw it.
We were trapping crawfish up at Timothy Lake, know for a good population of bugs.
The baits varied : cat food, chicken backs etc.

One guy had heard that cantaloupe work work, so he was fishing with that.
Lo and behold that stuff works !

Yes and they're everywhere, but we call them crawdads in this part of the country.......The first time I heard someone call it a crayfish I knew they weren't from around here.

One guy had heard that cantaloupe work work, so he was fishing with that.
Lo and behold that stuff works !
I wonder if you could feed them cantaloupe long enough to add a sweet flavor to them. Anybody up for investing in my new farm raised boutique flavored crawdad business?

I also want to start a poll to see how many head suckers we have here

Same for me. I'd only heard of crawdads until I was in an adult, then I moved to the South where they have crawfish shrines. I don't remember the first time I heard crayfish, but it was a northerner and I assumed it was a fancier crawfish. I always thought they were different beings until I got curious and looked it up one day. It's still difficult for me to grasp that those gross things I played with as a kid in muddy creeks are the same things I'd eat pounds of every weekend.
In Hawaii they're called fresh water prawns. Guessing that they are different as they are considerably larger than our local kind here. Used coconut for bait on trap. Not kidding!

I have been to the Culver Oregon Crawdad Festival. Good times. Crawdad.

2020 Culver Crawdad Festival
Held annually on the third Saturday in August. (August 15, 2020)

The Parade starts at 10:00

Contact Donna at City Hall if you would like to participate.

The Festival begins at 11am in Veterans Memorial Park.

There will be entertainment, vendors, and of course a crawdad dinner complete with corn on the cob (this year steak will be served too)

We are currently looking for Volunteers!

Please call 541-546-6494 for more information

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA