JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unsure about permit applications, but I had a purchase delayed for almost 6 months stemming from a missed court date for expired tags (neighboring County) in 1981. Court sent notice of failure to appear to State DMV. Oregon suspended my DL. Matter was taken care of shortly after, but it took a long time to verify and get it off the books.I have had numerous transfers since then with no problems .If driving problem had a felony charge attached, you should contact State Police or local Co. Sheriff for advice in advance. May help to have documentation everything has been taken care of. FWIW

In Oregon, if you've had a misdemeanor conviction in the last 4 years, they won't issue a ccw until that much time has passed since the conviction. Felony convictions disqualify you, as well as DV misdemeanor convictions, regardless of time passed (I'm not 100% on that, but from what I've seen, that seems to be the gist of it). One can petition the court for relief of firearm prohibition due to felony after 14 years, but that process is not known to be effective, is costly, and the system has stacked the cards against this course of action, to say the least. Also, if the felony is due to DV then there is no right to apply at any time.
So generally, traffic violations aren't 'crimes' per se, but if for some reason your driving violations led to a criminal conviction, then see above.
In Jackson County, when I first got my CCW, is took the 'normal' amount of time, as have my renewals. New applicants are seeing more turn around time due to increased volume last I heard, but they do get processed.

Last Edited:
Unsure about permit applications, but I had a purchase delayed for almost 6 months stemming from a missed court date for expired tags (neighboring County) in 1981. Court sent notice of failure to appear to State DMV. Oregon suspended my DL. Matter was taken care of shortly after, but it took a long time to verify and get it off the books.I have had numerous transfers since then with no problems .If driving problem had a felony charge attached, you should contact State Police or local Co. Sheriff for advice in advance. May help to have documentation everything has been taken care of. FWIW
The failure to appear is a misdemeanor, as well as an automatic bench warrant being issued, so that's one way a DMV issue becomes a criminal matter.

What about a dui?
I believe there is something in there about that
I'm not sure of the specifics, but there is misdemeanor DUI and felony DUI, so that would be the key difference. I had a friend who's a gun nut like me who got a DUI. About 2 years or less later, he bought a gun but had some issue with the BGC. He had to follow up and get a letter from a judge that he had successfully gone through diversion, and then he got the gun released to him. Unfortunately the system is so poor, as we know, that having accurate timely information in the databases that be, there are bound to be bureaucratic snafus of every stripe. Basically it would come down to whether it's a misdemeanor conviction or felony conviction; if it's available, and a person goes through diversion, then the conviction is suspended if you complete the program and the court is happy. That's my best guess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top