JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Might also be a great holiday gift. I was planning to make a 3 day kit for family members but its hard to beat this kit at that price. Might end up grtting one just for the heck of it. Thanks for posting!

I looked at the list of items it contains, and it's pretty basic. Seems you could put it together yourself for a lot less. What would be harder to do is get the 10 to 20 year shelf life.

Just imagine if everyone affected by Sandy had at least one of these on hand.
Its not a silver bullet for all situations but it would have lowered the immediate need of a lot of people and would have allowed the initial response to focus more tightly on the worst of the worst.
Self preparation, even a modicum an go a long way in difficult times.

totally agree!!!

Just imagine if everyone affected by Sandy had at least one of these on hand.
Its not a silver bullet for all situations but it would have lowered the immediate need of a lot of people and would have allowed the initial response to focus more tightly on the worst of the worst.
Self preparation, even a modicum an go a long way in difficult times.

Cheddar you are definately right. As a father and husband it is just a given that I keep a couple kits around like this but you can buy much better ones on Amazon.com and other sites that last longer and simply have the food. You are better off getting your own candles and source of heating food as the ones in these kits tend to be pretty cheap. Tons of tea lights and some good flashlights. A good weeks supply of freeze dried food packets costs less than 120 bucks. It will be the best investment of your life if the time comes you need it.

Be careful to watch calorie counts on the meals in some of these kits. I remember someone breaking down everything in one of the costco kits a few years ago and the 'meals' averaged 200 to 300 calories each. Glancing at the nutrition info on the deal Boedy mentioned above shows that's still the case. It can still be a good starter kit for someone though if you're aware of and account for the weaknesses.

Edit: I just noticed in the description that it now references using those 330 'meals' as a 30 day supply for 1 person. So you'll use an average of 11 'meals' a day. That acknowledgement didn't exist a few years ago, and I like this product better now that it's on there.

I think a few bought these kits as Christmas gifts. How were they received? Quality/value of the kit?

Peter

I gave one to my son who lives in a condo in Battleground, along with a pair of stackable 7gal water containers and they were well received (which surprised me a bit). Since then he has purchased two hundred rounds of .40S&W for his Glock 23, some buckshot loads for his Mossberg, after putting the short barrel on it, and a really nice wind up flashlight/AM-FM-WB that will also charge up a droid! So this was a reasonably priced way to motivate him to invest some time and effort to be a bit prepared!

As to quality it remains unopened. It's purpose is to sustain my son and grandson until they can get to my place. It will do that.

Last Edited:
I gave one to my son who lives in a condo in Battleground, along with a pair of stackable 7gal water containers and they were well received (which surprised me a bit). Since then he has purchased two hundred rounds of .40S&W for his Glock 17, some buckshot loads for his Mossberg, after putting the short barrel on it, and a really nice wind up flashlight/AM-FM-WB that will also charge up a droid! So this was a reasonably priced way to motivate him to invest some time and effort to be a bit prepared!

As to quality it remains unopened. It's purpose is to sustain my son and grandson until they can get to my place. It will do that.

That 40S&W is not going to do him any good with a Glock 17. The 17 is a 9mm the 22 is the .40S&W.

My older parents live in a fifth wheel with limited storage space. I got them this kit. It stores real well and if they get some place and can't get out for a while this will make a great "last resort" if they run out of food. They mostly stay in parks with hookups (37ft 5th wheel) but you can never tell what might happen. My dad at first said they would never need it, but after Sandy, he was glad to find space for it!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top