Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Costco - emerg kit

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ATCclears, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. safetyman

safetyman Clark County, WA Active Member

Might also be a great holiday gift. I was planning to make a 3 day kit for family members but its hard to beat this kit at that price. Might end up grtting one just for the heck of it. Thanks for posting!

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

I agree - thanks, ATCclears!

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ordered one this morning as a Christmas gift for my son. A condo dweller. Good post, thanks!

5. rocky3

rocky3 oregon coast Active Member

My 3 kids are adult city dwellers this is a fine gift for them.
    Thank you for the tip, ATC.

6. Boomerang

Boomerang Portland area Active Member

I looked at the list of items it contains, and it's pretty basic. Seems you could put it together yourself for a lot less. What would be harder to do is get the 10 to 20 year shelf life.

7. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Just imagine if everyone affected by Sandy had at least one of these on hand.
    Its not a silver bullet for all situations but it would have lowered the immediate need of a lot of people and would have allowed the initial response to focus more tightly on the worst of the worst.
    Self preparation, even a modicum an go a long way in difficult times.

8. unionguy

unionguy Portland Active Member

totally agree!!!

chase and (deleted member) like this.
  9. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

Cheddar you are definately right. As a father and husband it is just a given that I keep a couple kits around like this but you can buy much better ones on Amazon.com and other sites that last longer and simply have the food. You are better off getting your own candles and source of heating food as the ones in these kits tend to be pretty cheap. Tons of tea lights and some good flashlights. A good weeks supply of freeze dried food packets costs less than 120 bucks. It will be the best investment of your life if the time comes you need it.

10. Boedy

Boedy Sublimity, Oregon, United States Active Member

11. RoneKiln

RoneKiln Western Washington Active Member

Be careful to watch calorie counts on the meals in some of these kits. I remember someone breaking down everything in one of the costco kits a few years ago and the 'meals' averaged 200 to 300 calories each. Glancing at the nutrition info on the deal Boedy mentioned above shows that's still the case. It can still be a good starter kit for someone though if you're aware of and account for the weaknesses.

Edit: I just noticed in the description that it now references using those 330 'meals' as a 30 day supply for 1 person. So you'll use an average of 11 'meals' a day. That acknowledgement didn't exist a few years ago, and I like this product better now that it's on there.

12. Sgt Nambu

The kit listed by the OP is sold out.

13. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

I think a few bought these kits as Christmas gifts. How were they received? Quality/value of the kit?

Peter

14. Sgt Nambu

I gave one to my son who lives in a condo in Battleground, along with a pair of stackable 7gal water containers and they were well received (which surprised me a bit). Since then he has purchased two hundred rounds of .40S&W for his Glock 23, some buckshot loads for his Mossberg, after putting the short barrel on it, and a really nice wind up flashlight/AM-FM-WB that will also charge up a droid! So this was a reasonably priced way to motivate him to invest some time and effort to be a bit prepared!

As to quality it remains unopened. It's purpose is to sustain my son and grandson until they can get to my place. It will do that.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  15. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

That 40S&W is not going to do him any good with a Glock 17. The 17 is a 9mm the 22 is the .40S&W.

16. Sgt Nambu

My mistake! It's a Glock 23!

17. jkent26

jkent26 Rainier, OR Member

My older parents live in a fifth wheel with limited storage space. I got them this kit. It stores real well and if they get some place and can't get out for a while this will make a great "last resort" if they run out of food. They mostly stay in parks with hookups (37ft 5th wheel) but you can never tell what might happen. My dad at first said they would never need it, but after Sandy, he was glad to find space for it!