JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To protect and serve, or something like that. Police nowadays have literally been cut too much slack. They always assume that anyone with a gun is a bad guy and shoot. Hell, not even our military can get away with these tactics.

Maybe the family is going for the lawsuit lottery on this one - the "news" story was lacking.

Was the security guard in uniform, or dressed like a G? Some dude in plain clothes, with another dude on the ground, knee to his back, gun to his face? Cops roll up and see that - I can see how and why they were quick on the gun. They would not know who was who at a glance. Totally different story if the dead guy was wearing a uniform - security guard uniforms typically look like police uniforms - that's kind of the point. Dude in a uniform, with a guy on the ground, and a gun in his face is a whole different picture when the cops show up than two dudes probably dressed like thugs. The security guy was probably a great guy, did a good job - but if he was not dressed like a security guard I understand why he could get shot when the cops arrive. I am not saying I like it, or that he deserved to die - but I understand how it happens IF he was not dressed in a uniform. It's the Sh!tcago area - I'd be jumpy responding to a shots fired call and I roll up and see two dudes on the ground with a gun in one guys hand.

I'm usually the first one to praise and back LEOs but this was a bad shoot.

I hate to say LEOs should go to jail, but in this case it may be warranted.

And I hope his family gets paid out. Hopefully his baby will not have to ever worry financially.

However, I think a lot of these incidents have to do with the hyperawareness/sensitivity of LEOs since the Obama era war against cops.

The officer is a Midlothian patrol officer, and team leader for the South Suburban Emergency Response Team, a regional SWAT team.

I'm going to guess that's why he went straight to guns.

The officer is a Midlothian patrol officer, and team leader for the South Suburban Emergency Response Team, a regional SWAT team.

I'm going to guess that's why he went straight to guns.

Most SWAT training is non-lethal. Most of "Special Weapons And Tactics" are non-lethal items your average patrol guy can't keep in his car. Impact weapons, chemical agents, stun grenades, etc.

So, your guess would be wrong. SWAT guys are not a bunch of jack booted killers.

I'd be more concerned with his mustache.

I'm usually the first one to praise and back LEOs but this was a bad shoot.

I hate to say LEOs should go to jail, but in this case it may be warranted.

And I hope his family gets paid out. Hopefully his baby will not have to ever worry financially.

However, I think a lot of these incidents have to do with the hyperawareness/sensitivity of LEOs since the Obama era war against cops.

Its a sad shoot, but we won't know if its "bad" until the investigation is complete. I'd want to hear the calls, radio traffic, see what the victim was wearing, if the officers knew the victim (bouncers are often familiar with regular officers on that shift), etc. The article said more than one agency responded, would they have had any familiarity with the victim, etc. What verbal directives were given, if any, and how much time was given to obey.

When all of that information is gathered up to the point where the trigger is pulled, you can determine if the shooting (based on the totality of the circumstances) was objectively reasonable. Hindsight and other information gathered after the trigger is pulled is inadmissible.

Most SWAT training is non-lethal. Most of "Special Weapons And Tactics" are non-lethal items your average patrol guy can't keep in his car. Impact weapons, chemical agents, stun grenades, etc.

So, your guess would be wrong. SWAT guys are not a bunch of jack booted killers.

I'd be more concerned with his mustache.

Don't forget the power operator beard.

I've read he had a jacket with Security on it, I've read he had a hat with Security on it. I've read he had nothing saying security. I've read he had his knee in the guys back holding a gun to his head, I've read he didn't have his gun out after holstering. I've read the cops came in and shot him without any warning the absolute moment they arrived, I've read they gave him multiple commands to drop his gun and he didn't. I've read they gave commands and started shooting at the same time. etc etc etc.

I will reserve my judgement till the investigation puts out some facts.

I've read he had a jacket with Security on it, I've read he had a hat with Security on it. I've read he had nothing saying security. I've read he had his knee in the guys back holding a gun to his head, I've read he didn't have his gun out after holstering. I've read the cops came in and shot him without any warning the absolute moment they arrived, I've read they gave him multiple commands to drop his gun and he didn't. I've read they gave commands and started shooting at the same time. etc etc etc.

There seemed to be some contradicitng things. Some of the guys I work with and I work security at bars and events. We are always marked up, but a lot of security that isn't off-duty LE don't wear anything that identifies them as security.

This is what disturbs me about something like this a LOT. We really know nothing yet but immediately you see people who should know better saying Cop needs to go to prison. I wonder how many saying that carry a gun? If they ever had to shoot I wonder if they would love to see crowds saying they made a bad shoot and needed to be locked up? It always amazes me how many gun owners spout the same BS that Cops are rolling around just looking to shoot people any chance they get. Yet they want to be trusted to carry a gun themselves.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top