JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lessons to be learned here:
1.) Don't run from police- at all.
2.) Don't top speeds of 100mph.
3.) Keep the booger hook off the bang switch and up on the slide as far as you can place it, until ready to shoot. The ejection port is a handy place for that.o_O

This guy didn't.

Soppeland was placed on administrative leave during the investigation. No further disciplinary action was taken as a result, and he has since returned to active duty.

Hovland-Knase, meanwhile, was convicted of fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle. He was sentenced to five days of community service and 15 days house arrest.

Really?? It was a flipping traffic stop.
Joke brah

It wouldn't be uncommon to draw and be at low ready, but when you cover someone with a gun its another level of force. But, people ride with their head up their azz and might not notice the lights right away. If he wanted to run, there isnt a cruiser that could keep up with a crotch rocket. You have to think about that, but thats a monday morning QB talking.

Bike generally can't out run a radio! That was truly doofus!:D

Lessons to be learned here:
1.) Don't run from police- at all.
2.) Don't top speeds of 100mph.
3.) Keep the booger hook off the bang switch and up on the slide as far as you can place it, until ready to shoot. The ejection port is a handy place for that.o_O
I think the lesson is if you're going to shoot someone out of sheer stupidity, you'd better be a cop.

Damn! Was that one or TWO rounds that were negligently discharged?

Both officer and speeder was extremely lucky the round(s) didn't hit the head or torso.

Yeah, I blame the training... The overemphasis for relying on firearms as the main line of defense, especially in Podunk Nowheresville where there really isn't a need to draw on anyone -and the cops know it.

Not the first time training was blamed for events that occurred. CHP was sued for the deaths of more than one officer because of poor training at the academy. Back when they still carried wheel guns the range officers, not wanting to deal with cleaning up brass after training, instructed cadets to pocket their brass when reloading rather than dump, reload, and continue to engage. On several occasions officers were found injured/dead with a hand still in the pocket they were dumping brass into when shot. Not only did this lead to death and injury of officers, it screwed up crime scene investigations as they no longer had accurate verifiable locations where officers claimed to have reloaded.
That said, this officer either learned his lesson from the incident or should choose another line of work. I do agree that the biker should have gained a free pass but understand why they went forward with the prosecution. While choosing not to prosecute might slightly lower the odds of being sued it can also be taken as admission of guilt.

A guy back home said NY made the cadets police their brass after training and one got killed while picking up his brass during a shooting.
That could easily be solved by taking them away from the range,then come back and pick up the brass.
And I half to agree with the no free pass.
But pulling the gun is as stupid as the big car chases in LA. They risk more peoples' lives by doing this. You have a camera and probably the license number,pick him up later. No need to shoot the guy.
Besides was he going to shoot at him driving away? Maybe hit an on coming driver?
He obviously wasn't real good with his gun anyway

In this case, the article explains that everyone in town gets speeding tickets because the police have nothing else to do with no real crimes to pursue... truly Fargo.
That's why I wrote the police training there should not emphasize firearms as the main line of defense. Drawing the service pistol for traffic stops, especially this one where the perp was entirely visible and not concealed behind glass & steel, does appear the result of training (even though I agree that trigger finger awareness should have prevented the ND).

Reminds me of this time back in 1976, I was sitting in the bleachers at a local park I heard some noise and these two police men were chasing the guy that looked to be in 20's the perp was running and hopped over the chain link fence and just kept on going one cops stops and the other one tries to climb the fence and gets his belt stuck on the fence and nearly loses his pants.
Wait, thats not the funny part the fence was only 4feet high at the most and the cop weighed like 300+ and was like 5'4" I kid you not. Now back then you didn't dare laugh at the cops unless you liked a beaten but to this day when I think about disqualified police I think about that guy.
Oh yea and my buddy that shot me in the foot but thats another story for another thread.:rolleyes:

you could have laughed and then just jumped the fence and laughed some more:p:p:p

This was probably his training too. Us Oregonians are on the hook for the payout.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/...00-to-motorcyclist-kicked-by-cop-at-gunpoint/

It gets interesting at 1:15

Wreck the guy, pull your gun, over speeding.
I don't see the problem there.
If you are going to pass a cop....unmarked or not,then run AND not have the skills to out run...a bubbleguming cruiser???
You need to be kicked,in the nutz and taken to jail.
That guy was just a plain fool. he even stopped at that intersection he got rammed at.WTF?
That was almost perfect Darwinism

i hope this jackolantern cop ended up in jail...unbelievable.
over what??? speeding? a $300 fine. SMH.

I don't know I might be with him on this one. Maybe he was going double the speed limit, reckless driving, evading. Charges add up fast. And instead of laying on the ground and/or putting his hands up
He looked as though he may posture up.
With a helmet on could get the upper hand.

I was rather impressed with the kung fu kick.
Probably learned that in training and was just itching to use it

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top