JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hello all
I bought one a couple years back....I love mine,it has a problem with light 38 loads but 357 she runs like a champ.When I got it , it was online so I never actually handled one .Then after I got it I was very surprised about the size .I thought it would be way oversized , but really. compared to my 45 it's only slightly bigger in the grip because of the length of the 357 compared to 45,not really any fatter.
So far I think it's probably my favorite 1911 that I own ,I don't have any real high dollar 1911 s though ..not yet!

Thoughts on yours? Any issues I haven't ran into?
Thanks for lookin

I have an original Cadet. Absolutely love it! Been looking for a full size to add to the collection. :) Mine runs everything I've fed it. I've been told by Coonan that they would not suggest running 38 through mine, even wth a lighter recoil spring. (That's another reason i want a newer model than mine :)).

How new is yours? Coonan now offers the 38 kit for extra $$$ when buying a new one. Is yours set up for shooting 38? (IE: are you using a lighter recoil spring when shooting 38?) If you are having issues with lighter 38 rounds try going to a lighter spring (maybe just a pound or two lighter). If you drop too light you risk beating up the frame/slide when going to "hotter" 38 rounds.

Or if it is new, maybe you just need to "break in" the 38 spring more, before running light 38 rounds.

BTW, you do have a "higher end" 1911, and it shoots 357 magnum! ;)

I have the spring and they are pretty specific on what exactly will work in it with the lighter spring .it does fine when you match it to their load info but if you get the cheap target loads it will not cycle for nothing.I wish they were a little cheaper in price ,,I'd probably own at least one more .when my hunting days are over I'll sell a hunting rifle and get #2

It may be a break in thing ,I've only shot about 400 rds through it so far
Thanks for posting
Coloradocat

image.jpeg image.jpeg So how much smaller is the cadet? 85%? I would like one in that size range.

I didn't realize Coonan was still in business. I worked with some of their people back in the days when I was working for the Detonics .45 Associates. My Gun Budget just wasn't in that good a shape when I worked for the Big D. I did enjoy shooting the Coonan.

Matt at Demolition Ranch just made a video about the Coonan. Before that, I'd never heard of it. :)

Got one in the nineties as a graduation present. It was actually disappointing in fit and finish. The controls were crap that frequently broke, including the muzzle bushing, and half the mags had bad feed lips.

It did however shoot well and was actually reliable. Instead of shooting 38s, I just loaded 357 mid range and lightened the spring a bit.
I used it for IPSC where no one doubted me making major power factor. I do enjoy shooting it but worry about breaking parts. I haven't gotten around to checking compatibility with the current production.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top