JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I think I'll give up looking for the time being. I'll restart my search come fall or winter. Virtually everything is out of stock!
Between the "HOT" and people being set free, guess the market got slammed again.
I was at the grocery store today and they are still limiting bags of ice. Sign said only 2 per. I thought I would never see this a week after the great heat was over. One couple next to me at check out, about my age, neither wearing a "woke mask", 4 bags of ice. Clerk told guy please only 2. He said "I am buying 2, and she is buying 2." Girl running the shelf check just went back to her station. I did have to laugh.

Between the "HOT" and people being set free, guess the market got slammed again.
I was at the grocery store today and they are still limiting bags of ice. Sign said only 2 per. I thought I would never see this a week after the great heat was over. One couple next to me at check out, about my age, neither wearing a "woke mask", 4 bags of ice. Clerk told guy please only 2. He said "I am buying 2, and she is buying 2." Girl running the shelf check just went back to her station. I did have to laugh.
I'm amazed at grocers buying their ice. They have the freezers, all they would need to do is buy some molds and the bags and they could make their own and never really be reliant on ice deliveries.

I'm amazed at grocers buying their ice. They have the freezers, all they would need to do is buy some molds and the bags and they could make their own and never really be reliant on ice deliveries.
It's probably like outsourcing mechanical or electronic parts. Somebody who specializes in it can do it cheaper. I know it's just frozen water, but there must be some catch. Maybe liability. Dirty ice makes people sick? Your fault if you make the ice, not your fault if you contract it out. Or efficiency. Maybe a high capacity ice machine is really expensive but cheaper per hour and more reliable than manual labor. These are just guesses and probably wrong but it's going to be something along those lines.

It's probably like outsourcing mechanical or electronic parts. Somebody who specializes in it can do it cheaper. I know it's just frozen water, but there must be some catch. Maybe liability. Dirty ice makes people sick? Your fault if you make the ice, not your fault if you contract it out. Or efficiency. Maybe a high capacity ice machine is really expensive but cheaper per hour and more reliable than manual labor. These are just guesses and probably wrong but it's going to be something along those lines.
Nah... they're just not cool enough.

-Robert

I guess, most grocers spray your produce with tap water, I don't see how freezing tap water is anymore unsafe than that, or storing ice in a container they likely never clean.

I guess, most grocers spray your produce with tap water, I don't see how freezing tap water is anymore unsafe than that, or storing ice in a container they likely never clean.
Good point on the hygiene. I may have been closer to the mark on economy of scale. This machine uses about $3 worth of electricity per ton of ice:

Dry ice? One thing I know, with the $500 difference between my old Coleman and a Yeti, you could probably buy a lump or two and if you went camping four times a year you'd be ahead about seven lifetimes.

I did not pay attention to price as I have not bought any but I am not sure they could do this and not lose big. By the time they bought the equipment and then made space for it, then had to pay their people to go in and bag the stuff? If they set up with anything manual the workers would have to be clean suited up to work in there. No one would want to buy ice that was being handled by people coming and going. It's one thing if its just for a cooler but, lot of that ice is used for drinks too. Sounds like a disaster in the making when some worker does not handle stuff well and starts making people sick.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top