JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Always being frugal, I've never purchased a really good cooler. Looking at the saturated market, I really have no clue what to buy. Currently I have two decent sized Coleman type coolers. Both have wheels and work great for up to two days and day trips to the beach. Anything past two days will need ice replenishment. We are not set up to leave camp anymore like we used to 8-10 years ago with a tent, see picture. That and we have been doing a lot of dispersed deep woods camping. We are in need of a cooler that can go 3-4 days and keep ice. We ultimately would like to go a whole week if possible. This purchase will be an investment, so if it is a more expensive Rotomold type, I'm ok with that recommendation.

Thanks!

Reno

BDFF845D-D07E-4BEE-8B67-C0C79D0645C6.jpeg

Just fyi, there are tons of cooler review videos on the YouTubes. And if you really want to invest, take a look at the ARB Fridge/Freeze and comparable products (Engel, etc). :)
Yup, been watching a bunch. So far I'm leaning towards the Wally World Ozark Trail 48q rotomold @ $150.

Cooler prep and planning are more important in my opinion than which actual cooler you pick. Pick the rotomold cooler that suits your needs based on reviews for quality and the dimensions/features you need.

Then do you research on how to prep your cooler. Put sacrificial ice in it the night before to bring the internal temp down before you need to actually pack it up. I use one or two frozen milk jugs of water for the sacrificial ice and how many I use is dependent on the size of the cooler. Replace the sacrificial ice when you pack up the cooler with fresh ice in your preferred form. Some folks will utilize dry ice to cut down on weight, size and length of time it lasts. Next I plan out my meals and freeze everything that won't be used the first day and is ok being frozen. I then take out the frozen items to thaw as needed and after 7 or 8 days what is left has usually thawed completely. Minimize how much you get into the cooler, opening/closing of a cooler introduces heat which reduces the life of your cooling source. If you keep your drinks cold, use a separate cooler so you aren't getting into your food cooler more than a couple times each day. There is a lot more advice and hacks available online so do some searching to see what works best for your situation.

You have probably already found this info in your research but larger coolers will stay cooler longer than smaller coolers. Quality manufacturers should list the estimated time their products will retain ice/temperatures to keep items at a food safe temp.

The last recommendation is to source your cooler from craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc.... Resale value on coolers is horrible and a little patience and vigilance will land you a great deal on a rotomold. I wouldn't pay the price on a new Yeti but after a couple weeks watching various classifieds I had 3 Yeti's of various sizes for between $50 - $200 and they look like new after a quick wipe down with some clorox wipes. The $50 Yeti is just their small 20qt model for day trips keeping beverages/lunch/etc.... cold, we then picked up a Yeti 35qt for weekend trips for $100 and then I picked up a Yeti 125qt cooler for hunting camp. I have kept food in the 125QT Yeti at safe temperatures for 10-days so far without the need for additional ice, average daily temps in the 70's and cooler kept in shade. Most folks buying these premium rotomold coolers or heck, coolers in general end up not using them much and want the space back in their garage, apartment, etc... and let them go for a fraction of the original purchase price. Great deals are out there to be had.

Good information @ORhutner

I laughed when I found the same looking yeti (48q with wheels) as the Ozark one from Walmart. Walmart's is $150, Yetis is $400!!!

The rtic line of coolers is comparable to the yeti for near 1/2 the cost. I was in Pasco recently during the 114 degree weather and my rtic still had a few cubes left after 3 full days in the back of my truck shelll with many openings. I started with 2 bags of ice. Mine is the 52 qt model.

I don't have a cooler at all, however I do have an rtic coffee mug that when the lid is closed will keep coffee good and hot from breakfast to lunch. So that'd be my choice.

I have a pair of the 150qt Igloos that I have had for years, both will keep nice and cold for several days, depending on how you pack it and where you keep it! For a week's worth of cold, I pack the bottom with dri ice and then set several frozen water bottles in between the food stuff!

Conversely, I also dump a few bags of ice in one and use it to keep my fresh caught fish cold through the week up on the Dechutes! That's really saying something that it can keep ice for 4 to 5 days spending half the day in the heat at the back of the boat!
I know lots of folks swear by Yeti and other high end brands, but honestly I have found the Igloo brand to be pretty dang good and a heck of a lot less expensive!

I have no other suggestions. Lots of good info covered.

I am curious about that tent though.
Thats gotta put a hiccup in the midnight take a leak on the nearest tree trips. How does that workout for you?

I finally stopped buying ice, and bought a 12v fridge instead... that is the ultimate way to go in my opinion. Mine will easily freeze anything (and has many times) if I'm not careful to set the temp correctly. Save that money for a 12v fridge and never look back. (No need for a $$$ ARB, plenty of cheaper brands out there)

But, back in the ice buying cooler days, I used gel ice packs to line the cooler (frozen the night before) and it really increased the longevity of the ice. I also keep moving blankets to insulate the cooler or fridge when in the back of the truck, or when outside next to the table.

For longer expeditions I run both the fridge and cooler. I use the fridge for perishable items, like meats and veggies. And cooler for drinks + one bag of ice for cocktails.

Now that I'm thinking about it... I should just get another fridge. Hmmmmmm...

-Robert

One thing I hope some take away from this, keeping things you are going to eat cold somehow.
When this last great heat wave hit health care was SLAMMED. The great Covid hoax that was supposed to do in health care was a nothing compared to the heat. That did cause us to damn near crash. The largest problem? People coming in at what looked like deaths door from food they ate. Anyone who has ever had food poisoning knows they would not wish it on anyone they hate :D . Even in the worst flu season I had never seen so many people coming in looking like they had a super bad case of flu who had what so often is called "24 hour flu", which does not exist. Everyone who was suddenly free from lock down and HOT, took to the water and woods to have fun. Eat, drink, and be merry but, a lot of that food was not kept cold. So late that day and into the next here they come in droves to hospitals feeling like they were going to die. :s0170:

One thing I hope some take away from this, keeping things you are going to eat cold somehow.
When this last great heat wave hit health care was SLAMMED. The great Covid hoax that was supposed to do in health care was a nothing compared to the heat. That did cause us to damn near crash. The largest problem? People coming in at what looked like deaths door from food they ate. Anyone who has ever had food poisoning knows they would not wish it on anyone they hate :D . Even in the worst flu season I had never seen so many people coming in looking like they had a super bad case of flu who had what so often is called "24 hour flu", which does not exist. Everyone who was suddenly free from lock down and HOT, took to the water and woods to have fun. Eat, drink, and be merry but, a lot of that food was not kept cold. So late that day and into the next here they come in droves to hospitals feeling like they were going to die. :s0170:

Food poisoning sucks.

Even the grocery stores here had trouble keeping food cold, a lot of the food was removed from the open coolers or covered up with large plastic sheets.

I bought a pack of chicken thighs a when the temps dropped. I checked the packaging date, same day. I had to return them because they had a really bad smell, after being in my fridge, even before I got the package open.

-Robert

Even the grocery stores here had trouble keeping food cold, a lot of the food was removed from the open coolers or covered up with large plastic sheets.

I bought a pack of chicken thighs a when the temps dropped. I checked the packaging date, same day. I had to return them because they had a really bad smell, after being in my fridge, even before I got the package open.

-Robert
Some things are SUPER bad for this. Poultry is one. Real Mayo is another. The bad bugs that cause the illness in humans have no taste or odor which is what makes them so bad. When they are present the food often can taste and smell fine. Then a good while after eating them the person feels like they are going to die :(
This great heat wave multiplied it a lot due to alcohol. A LOT of people were drinking in the heat. Get good and lubed and even food that would have been " suspect" suddenly tastes great :D Not to mention a lot of the victims probably made sure their beer stayed cold at the cost of some of the food they were going to eat :(

I am curious about that tent though.
Thats gotta put a hiccup in the midnight take a leak on the nearest tree trips. How does that workout for you?
He's young. :rolleyes:

Dang nice @Reno! Glad to see you ended up getting up into woods like you were talking about. Nice rig. Enjoy it while you can.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top