JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lol "Good and lubed"

They were definitely good and lubed on both ends after that.

-Robert
Believe me the poor Nurses, Techs, and EVS (cleaners) at the hospitals were champions during this. The amazing ones were the pro's who would deal with this for 16hours only stopping to wolf down food while cleaning up people who had stuff coming out both ends. They don't get paid enough :D

I have no other suggestions. Lots of good info covered.

I am curious about that tent though.
Thats gotta put a hiccup in the midnight take a leak on the nearest tree trips. How does that workout for you?
I do have to be careful how much water I consume before getting ready to go to bed. It's not that big of a deal. The tent itself is very comfortable and we have been enjoying using it over the traditional on the floor setups. It sets up in a minute or two and takes down just as fast. That was the key selling point, that and being off the ground. This was the gateway drug into camping in general. If we would get back into it with the 3 year old and the wife post surgery with this set up, then we can look to invest in an actual trailer next. This should resell well once we decide to upgrade to a trailer. Which might not be much bigger, looking at nicer teardrop types so as to fit in the garage.

I finally stopped buying ice, and bought a 12v fridge instead... that is the ultimate way to go in my opinion. Mine will easily freeze anything (and has many times) if I'm not careful to set the temp correctly. Save that money for a 12v fridge and never look back. (No need for a $$$ ARB, plenty of cheaper brands out there)

But, back in the ice buying cooler days, I used gel ice packs to line the cooler (frozen the night before) and it really increased the longevity of the ice. I also keep moving blankets to insulate the cooler or fridge when in the back of the truck, or when outside next to the table.

For longer expeditions I run both the fridge and cooler. I use the fridge for perishable items, like meats and veggies. And cooler for drinks + one bag of ice for cocktails.

Now that I'm thinking about it... I should just get another fridge. Hmmmmmm...

-Robert
I looked at these briefly. If we were camping primarily at campgrounds with electric, it certainly could be a great option. Lately we have been enjoying the privacy of the dispersed areas in the middle of nowhere. A fridge could still work, and might be an option later, but then I'll need to find a way to keep it going without using the cars battery as the main source of energy.

I do have to be careful how much water I consume before getting ready to go to bed. It's not that big of a deal. The tent itself is very comfortable and we have been enjoying using it over the traditional on the floor setups. It sets up in a minute or two and takes down just as fast. That was the key selling point, that and being off the ground. This was the gateway drug into camping in general. If we would get back into it with the 3 year old and the wife post surgery with this set up, then we can look to invest in an actual trailer next. This should resell well once we decide to upgrade to a trailer. Which might not be much bigger, looking at nicer teardrop types so as to fit in the garage.
Wife is close to getting a trailer. We looked at the kind you have but are both a little long in the tooth for that climb :D
She loves those Teardrop but damn they are pricey. Looks like we will get one of those that folds into its own trailer. They come as a kit and you put it together. Pretty cool looking and folded up super easy to store. I like the idea of being off the ground.

Wife is close to getting a trailer. We looked at the kind you have but are both a little long in the tooth for that climb :D
She loves those Teardrop but damn they are pricey. Looks like we will get one of those that folds into its own trailer. They come as a kit and you put it together. Pretty cool looking and folded up super easy to store. I like the idea of being off the ground.
I may end up building my own tear drop or square back due to the insane costs of actual ones. The nicest one I have seen and actually really like is by Escapod. It's $20,000!!!

I looked at these briefly. If we were camping primarily at campgrounds with electric, it certainly could be a great option. Lately we have been enjoying the privacy of the dispersed areas in the middle of nowhere. A fridge could still work, and might be an option later, but then I'll need to find a way to keep it going without using the cars battery as the main source of energy.
Most fridges have built in battery protection and will shut down at a preset voltage to allow the car to still start.

I run dual batteries with isolated circuits, but also plan to upgrade to a solar charging system next. The intention is to be fully independent and off grid... indefinitely if I chose to.

Other options to keep the fridge going are portable power stations (Jackery brand is a common one), which would be dual use for other camp accessories, like lights, charging flashlights/devices.

But, yeah... a lot more investment than a cooler; however, for the price of a fancy cooler, buying a fridge (and then all the other battery stuff later) is an option if you'd like to stop relying on ice.

-Robert

Yep we looked at a few Teardrops that were super cool but, like you said we could buy a nice vehicle for the cost of some of them :eek:
I'm not entirely against them for the cost. The escapod will be able to go to places that a regular trailer won't, just like my roof top tent currently can. Add that to the features they come with, I'm not entirely of the hook yet just because the costs. We factored in 15-20k for a trailer. The current set up is much much less and that was kind of the compromise we decided as we were not sold on the kiddo liking camping. He does, so we will use this roof top for the year and maybe the next season, then look to buy a trailer.

Most fridges have built in battery protection and will shut down at a preset voltage to allow the car to still start.

I run dual batteries with isolated circuits, but also plan to upgrade to a solar charging system next. The intention is to be fully independent and off grid... indefinitely if I chose to.

Other options to keep the fridge going are portable power stations (Jackery brand is a common one), which would be dual use for other camp accessories, like lights, charging flashlights/devices.

But, yeah... a lot more investment than a cooler; however, for the price of a fancy cooler, buying a fridge (and then all the other battery stuff later) is an option if you'd like to stop relying on ice.

-Robert
Honestly, I've contemplated taking the generator along so we could run the instapot to make dinners. I'm not against the idea of a fridge. The dometic ones look to be off very nice quality.

Honestly, I've contemplated taking the generator along so we could run the instapot to make dinners. I'm not against the idea of a fridge. The dometic ones look to be off very nice quality.
Ha, that would be pretty neat. Have you considered a power inverter for that? Would be a nice addition to your camp trailer build.

I have a small one but would like to upgrade, 1500-2000w pure sine wave inverters have come down a lot in price over the last few years.

-Robert

Ha, that would be pretty neat. Have you considered a power inverter for that? Would be a nice addition to your camp trailer build.

I have a small one but would like to upgrade, 1500-2000w pure sine wave inverters have come down a lot in price over the last few years.

-Robert
My generator is an inverter model, it is capable of 1800 running watts peak. The instapot runs at around 1000 watts and usually drops to 400-600 when not building pressure. I bet the fridges run off less when not running the compressor. Kind of the reason I haven't looked at a power bank as the smaller affordable ones just don't have the wattage capabilities. You'll be closer to $2,000 buying a capable Goal Zero or similar to get anywhere close to the same wattage capabilities on AC.

Found catorgator and I've been watching reviews. Looks pretty good at about half the price of a yeti.

Trying to decide if the extra room of the 65 is worth the extra size VS the 45.

Found catorgator and I've been watching reviews. Looks pretty good at about half the price of a yeti.

Trying to decide if the extra room of the 65 is worth the extra size VS the 45.

https://bestcooler.reviews/catergator-cooler-review-vs-yeti/

Interesting review and an interesting review web site.

Now you have me thinking i need one of these super coolers. We go on several long road trips a year and take food/drinks with us. Our current cooler is pretty decent but requires ice every few days. It'd sure be nice to not need ice for 5 days or more.

https://bestcooler.reviews/catergator-cooler-review-vs-yeti/

Interesting review and an interesting review web site.

Now you have me thinking i need one of these super coolers. We go on several long road trips a year and take food/drinks with us. Our current cooler is pretty decent but requires ice every few days. It'd sure be nice to not need ice for 5 days or more.
Exactly, if I can go at least 1 week without needing to replenish ice, I'm sold. These rotomolds do just that.

Good information @ORhutner

I laughed when I found the same looking yeti (48q with wheels) as the Ozark one from Walmart. Walmart's is $150, Yetis is $400!!!
Yeti is anti-gun. Pelican coolers are as good or better, cost less, pro-gun and made in the U.S.A. I've had a Pelican for several years now and it has performed very well and taken some abuse. My only gripe is that the little cutouts in the lid that look like cupholders are very shallow. As your beverage gets near empty they don't function well. It's pretty easily overcome with a cardboard box and a knife, so no biggie.

There's a local NW company that makes rotomold coolers, Kong Coolers out in Ridgefield WA, (at least I think they still do, their site lists Iowa now.), if anyone wants Made in USA stuff.

-Robert

Cooler prep and planning are more important in my opinion than which actual cooler you pick. Pick the rotomold cooler that suits your needs based on reviews for quality and the dimensions/features you need.

Then do you research on how to prep your cooler. Put sacrificial ice in it the night before to bring the internal temp down before you need to actually pack it up. I use one or two frozen milk jugs of water for the sacrificial ice and how many I use is dependent on the size of the cooler. Replace the sacrificial ice when you pack up the cooler with fresh ice in your preferred form. Some folks will utilize dry ice to cut down on weight, size and length of time it lasts. Next I plan out my meals and freeze everything that won't be used the first day and is ok being frozen. I then take out the frozen items to thaw as needed and after 7 or 8 days what is left has usually thawed completely. Minimize how much you get into the cooler, opening/closing of a cooler introduces heat which reduces the life of your cooling source. If you keep your drinks cold, use a separate cooler so you aren't getting into your food cooler more than a couple times each day. There is a lot more advice and hacks available online so do some searching to see what works best for your situation.
In addition to this, I've also found that the right spot for a cooler can really help out. If I'm camping next to running water, the cooler goes in. If there's no running water, I half bury it next to a tree - try to find one that'll give it all day shade.

Well, I think I'll give up looking for the time being. I'll restart my search come fall or winter. Virtually everything is out of stock!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top