JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi there, has anyone ever heard of converting replica black powder handguns to being able to use actually rounds rather than black powder and balls. I'd love any info, someone told me once that it's possible but now I can't fin any info on it. Thanks.

Yep possible you just need the proper cylinder. And it has to be properly fit the revolver. Be sure to follow the cylinder makers recommendations on loads. OR BOOM.

Also I suggest that you do not convert a brass framed revolver.
As much as I like cap and ball revolvers , I have both replica and original ones and I do know that many conversions were done in the 1800's , you do need to be careful. These guns were designed to be shot as cap and ball , not as cartridge guns.
You can safely convert a cap and ball to cartridge , but I think its better to get a cartridge gun if you want to shoot cartridges.
Andy

Just do it!
wheelers 009.jpg

So this thread brings up a question - since you can buy the black powder pistol without an FFL, if you convert it, you are now creating a firearm. I'm assuming, perhaps, the OP's intent is to own a 'firearm' without owning a 'firearm' ;) So what happens then? Are you allowed to convert it as if you were building your own firearm, such as with an 80% lower? Just curious.

Avoiding an ffl is part of the desire. I own a number of registered firearms, but am none to happy about that new law. It was a pretty sneaky move

I kind of figured that. But, the market for 80% projects seems to be growing. You can already get 80% AR's in multiple calibers including .223/5.56, .308, 300 Blackout, etc. You can also get 10/22 80% lowers, 1911 80% lowers and coming very soon, even a Glock 80% lower. Maybe someone will find a way to do an 80% revolver project.

I suspect as more and more states step WAY over the line in stealing our rights from under our noses, the fine ingenuity of the American people (well, those that still believe in individual liberty and freedom), will find ways to combat these politicians and voters that would rather live in a communist country.

'Murica!!! :s0042: :s0106: :s0019: :s0022: :s0014:

As much as I like cap and ball revolvers ,
Same here but NEVER have ever considered a conversion myself. I always considered conversions as a historical 'stepping stone' - basically as a procedure from a bygone era IE one that would allow someone to continue to 'use' their existing C & B revolver until a more modern firearm could be had - and certainly nothing that seems very practical (or safe) by today's standards.

So this thread brings up a question - since you can buy the black powder pistol without an FFL, if you convert it, you are now creating a firearm. I'm assuming, perhaps, the OP's intent is to own a 'firearm' without owning a 'firearm' ;) So what happens then? Are you allowed to convert it as if you were building your own firearm, such as with an 80% lower? Just curious.

This is a "loophole" that has been overlooked so far.

Yep, you can go get a black powder pistol, order up a conversion cylinder and in 2 days have a center fire cylinder. And no paperwork......

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top