JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you purchase a Ruger Scout again?

• Yes

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
I'm thinking about 'final' purchases given HB 1143 is likely to take effect on January 1, 2024 in WA State. The Ruger Scout (aka Gunsite Scout) has been on my mind.

A quick survey.

Guns - Here go get a new gun.jpg

With the way Insipid Inslee is vomiting out firearm restrictions...
I'd be sure to buy whatever firearms , ammo and firearm parts / accessories I could while I can.

And with that said...
Remember that when it comes to people like King Jay....there is always "just one more thing" , in regards to gun control.
Andy

I've considered a Gunsite Scout more than once. I've had 5 Ruger 77MKII's (and a Hawkeye) since the late 90's. That action is one of my favorites. I bought my wife a 77MKII Compact in 7mm-08. My avatar pic is the stainless '06 that has been my hunting rifle for many years, replacing the blued one I gave as a high school graduation present.
I really like the size of the Scout and the peep sight it comes with is a cool addition, not to mention the removeable mag.

I say, "Buy it."

Get what you want so it doesn't eat at you later. Eventually, after sniper hunting rifles and murder pistols are banned as "Gun violence" continues, people will wake up. Maybe.

Remember. We used to have TV shows named after guns. Beretta, Magnum, Hunter~, The Hammer, Have Gun will Travel. The gun used to be the hero.

I like my Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308. It's a unique rifle; handy, solid, and I like the sights, rail on barrel for scout scope, magazine options, and threaded barrel. I haven't fired it as much as I would like, but enjoy it when I do. Picked it up back closer to when this model was first released. I would buy again, but am glad I bought it at the prices back then (and on a good sale) compared to todays prices. I like, and own a number of Rugers, but it seems like they may have raised their prices faster than other manufacturers the last 5 or so years.

I haven't shot it yet (weather hasn't really allowed that), but I like mine.

Two things I wish were different for the one I have:

1) The laminate stock. While I like laminate stocks, both in appearance and ruggedness, it is a heavy stock and I would prefer a synthetic lighter stock. Not sure if any of the Hogue rubber molded stocks will fit; I suspect not with the AICS mag, but that would be my choice.

2) I wish mine were stainless steel. I also would like the barrel to be carbon fiber. Again, for a Scout rifle, this thing is heavy.

I own a Ruger Scout and believe it's a fine rifle. It shoots straight and functions great. That being said my age makes the Scout too heavy plus magazines are far too expensive in my opinion.

I have moved on to the Ruger Ranch bolt action in 223. Lighter, shoots very straight and magazines are cheap and easy to find.

I have moved on to the Ruger Ranch bolt action in 223. Lighter, shoots very straight and magazines are cheap and easy to find.
I have one too. I had one of the earlier ones with the flush non-AR mag, then picked up one with the AR mags and sold the non-AR mag rifle.

I wanted a Scout rifle in .308 though. I have a Ishapore Enfield carbine setup as a Scout rifle, but I am betting the Ruger is more precise.

I have one too. I had one of the earlier ones with the flush non-AR mag, then picked up one with the AR mags and sold the non-AR mag rifle.

I wanted a Scout rifle in .308 though. I have a Ishapore Enfield carbine setup as a Scout rifle, but I am betting the Ruger is more precise.
I put an LER Leupold on my Scout and I am very happy with the accuracy. I load my own ammo for it but just about every ammo I tried shoots pretty straight in it. I have to shoot from a bench rest for accuracy as I shake standing up. From the bench this shake old man is very happy with the small groups.

My American Ranch I added a new very light bipod from Magpul. Works great off the bench and on the ground.

About the only thing I would like to see now is a bolt action in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags. I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and I love that set trigger, but the mags are expensive and limited capacity.

There was an outfit in OZLand that did conversions on Enfields but they stopped and the rifles are rare.

It is heavy in the laminate. A bit lighter with synthetic, but still heavy. Sights are nice. I did NOT like the scout position of the scope. With a dot it was fine, but (for me) any magnification I did not like. I should have kept mine, and just put a standard scope on it, but then you lose the rear sight. Plus, my Mossberg MVP Patrol already fit that niche.

I've owned a couple, still own one, stainless/synthetic. I like the size, but I use none of the scout features. I removed the rail and I have a conventionally mounted a scope. I removed the muzzle brake, as I figured the deer didn't appreciate a muzzle brake anyway, nor do the people shooting alongside me. Since this is strictly a hunting rifle for me, I wish it had a blind magazine. When not needing a scope, the aperture sight is quite wonderful.

For me, the redeeming feature of this rifle is the stout but short barrel.

Last Edited:
About the only thing I would like to see now is a bolt action in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags. I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and I love that set trigger, but the mags are expensive and limited capacity.

There was an outfit in OZLand that did conversions on Enfields but they stopped and the rifles are rare.
Tri-Star arms...was basically a No4 that took AK mags.....I tried finding one for YEARS....finally gave up. Last one I saw for sale was over a decade ago and was north of $1k. 😕

Had one with a 4x scout scope.

I wish I still had it, but mortgage or the gun at the time so the rifle got sold.

Not in a position to buy one now but I would if I could - might buy a few 10 round mags just in case.

I like the Ruger mags.

I own one already, so voted "no" on the poll.
It really is a specialized rifle, I like it and use it (even for hunting, and got a blacktail with it a few years back. Another thing it has going for it, is it's accurate with all bullet weights and profiles. Even loaded 170gr. roundnose bullets intended for 30-30, and it'll shoot 1.5-2.0 moa. It has the Mauser extractor, never mis-feeds, always fires.
But it is a niche rifle.
It's a heavy as a piece of artillery, mine has a Leupold scout scope on it which i dont really like, as there's no point on loading stripper clips on a box magazine rifle. As for the muzzle break, i removed it and put a linear comp on it. Again, no point on having a muzzle break on a 308 with a 16" barrel. The recoil isn't bad, and you're not going to be 1000 yard sniping with a 16" barrel.
I like it because it looks cool, sorta resembles a bolt action M14.
and have several steel magazines for it which look much better than the factory plastic, and feed just as good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top