JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you purchase a Ruger Scout again?

• Yes

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've owned a couple, still own one, stainless/synthetic. I like the size, but I use none of the scout features. I removed the rail and I have a conventionally mounted a scope. I removed the muzzle brake, as I figured the deer didn't appreciate a muzzle brake anyway, nor do the people shooting alongside me. Since this is strictly a hunting rifle for me, I wish it had a blind magazine. When not needing a scope, the aperture sight is quite wonderful.

For me, the redeeming feature of this rifle is the stout but short barrel.
Sounds like you "really" want an M77MKII Compact in 308. That was the one I really liked, but the 7mm-08 doesn't kick as hard, so it won out as the choice for my wife's hunting rifle. It's small, light and accurate enough to kill.

I have owned a couple, they are cool rifles, but there are things I didn't like. Since selling my last one recently, I wouldn't buy another, but I am sure later on I will get the itch for one again. They shoot good.

I don't like any of the current scout scope options, so that made me put a VX3HD 2-7x on my last one, to run a regular scope, you have to remove the rear sight, I like to have back up irons, so that sucked.

The bottom "metal" is plastic and feels cheap.

The laminate stock is heavy and ugly, and the synthetic stock and the bottom "metal" integrated into it, which I hated (reason I sold my first one), and supposedly standard M77 stocks don't fit, so you are stuck with a custom stock for $650+ and PTG bottom METAL which will add a total of damn near a grand to an already expensive rifle.

The front sight is one piece so you can't change blades, and the rear sight is pretty cheesy, so the sights suck.

I am now wanting a Ruger Alaskan or Guide Gun, better sights and better chamberings offered, and they use regular bottom metal (which is fine for me for hunting) so a standard aftermarket stock will work. I really want a Guide Gun in 30-06 with a light weight custom stock, to me that would be the ideal PNW hunting rifle.

Sounds like you "really" want an M77MKII Compact in 308. That was the one I really liked, but the 7mm-08 doesn't kick as hard, so it won out as the choice for my wife's hunting rifle. It's small, light and accurate enough to kill.
Actually, yes and no. I've owned them too.

I like the internal box magazine, and I like the short barrel, but I still want a full size synthetic stock.

The closest Ruger makes now is the Hawkeye Hunter in .308.
Barrel, 20", but as gorgeous as the walnut stock is, I still prefer synthetic for hunting. And I do not want that ugly swell at the muzzle incorporating the threaded muzzle. I don't want a threaded muzzle at all.
1.jpg

I also have a MkII Ultralight in .30-06. Stainless and synthetic, but with a skinny little pencil-barrel. It's nice to carry, but at the shooting bench, it's good for two shots before that barrel heats up and the shots go crazy.

As hunters and shooters, we are spoiled. We want what we want.

. :cool:

Last Edited:
For all the reasons NOT to get the Scout, but to have many of its better features, the Hawkeye Guide is really slick, AND, in calibers more useful and appropriate for us PNW hunters and Brush Busters! Light and handy and easy to carry, hit like a sledge hammer, and are very accurate, you would spend a fortune building a rifle equal to these! Things I have changed on mine, I don't really care for the barrel mounted rear sight, so I changed it to a very slick Old School Redfield that was moded to fit the Ruger action, Didn't really need the muzzle brake, so I lock tited the included thread protector in place, and the Stock, ( though I do like the look and feel, I didn't like the weight) So I replaced it with Boyds Laminate in the same colors, but a slightly different shape with a higher comb, it is many Ounces lighter, still has checkering on the grip and fore arm, and a much better pad/butt! While NOT a cheap setup, It was still cheaper then building from the ground up with a Mauser action, custom turned barrel and all the other features we want and need! It's a Ruger, so it Shoots, and that's what we really want at the end of the day!

1682101295627.png

Some years back I wanted a Scout and couldn't find one. I bought a Ruger stainless in 308 with the boat paddle stock for my hunting rifle. Cut the barrel off to just legal and mounted a 6x leupold on it. This was my western Oregon deer rifle for years. Stainless to help avoid rust, light weight, cut short to get through the brush easy, fixed power scope so I wouldn't be adjusting it.

Now that I have my Ruger scout I like it better because it's got higher round capacity and a better scope set up. It's heavy but I got old so that's life

I purchased my Scout almost 5 years ago in .308 with the laminated stock ( which I just finished camo-ing) .I mounted a a Burris Scout Scope on it using Low Mount Leopold QD scope rings & a Fortis Red Muzzle brake.
I absolutely love this rifle, especially the iron sites. Handles well, not too heavy and took my 1st deer with it 2 seasons ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top