JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you purchase a Ruger Scout again?

• Yes

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Having owned one I'd say no.

Reason for the no, without knowing the why, is there are far better rifles out there. The scout is a tank, it is very heavy for a carbine length gun. Its barrel is thicker than a hunting barrel, too thin for a precision barrel. Accuracy was decent. I have no idea why the scout rifle scope is popular, it is a horrible idea no matter what part of the internet you quote. A regular scope on the regular part of the rifle is way better. If it's irons you want, there are other options.

I see no reason to buy this unless you want a tank of a rifle that does little to nothing better than a regular American version with a shorter barrel.

have no idea why the scout rifle scope is popular, it is a horrible idea no matter what part of the internet you quote. A regular scope on the regular part of the rifle is way better. If it's irons you want, there are other options.
While there are better implementations, and everybody agrees the GSR is too heavy for what it is, I am a believer in LER/EER forward mounted LPVO scope (and other optic) setups. I have shot and hunted with them, and for many people they work well. Iron sights don't work well for many people my age - we need a single focus point, not three.

While there are better implementations, and everybody agrees the GSR is too heavy for what it is, I am a believer in LER/EER forward mounted LPVO scope (and other optic) setups. I have shot and hunted with them, and for many people they work well. Iron sights don't work well for many people my age - we need a single focus point, not three.
But if you had to choose between a rifle with a scope mounted normal or one with it mounted forward which would you choose?

I would say that when Jeff Cooper came up with the idea, there was a lot less to work with. Had he been around during the era of red dots I imagine his set up would have been much different. Forward mounted scopes place more weight forward, I'm not sure why this is even a thing if it can be avoided. Only way I can think of that it makes sense to me is on mil surplus type guns where there were no other way to mount a scope. Otherwise, that lvpo can do the exact same thing with its weight further back in the rifle which should relieve some stress on the arms holding the thing up to shoot.

But if you had to choose between a rifle with a scope mounted normal or one with it mounted forward which would you choose?
I have chosen forward mounted optics on most of my rifles, bolt, semi and lever (at least five different rifles and I am working on doing this to more rifles). The GSR is not the only one. It works well for me.

The only rifles I will never do this to, are the family heirloom rifles (e.g., my father's sporterized '03A3).

Have 1 forward mounted scope. Thought I would like it, but didn't.
It's on my Ruger Scout.
With everything (except iron sights) the scout scope is slower to "snap into action" when on the field, than a proper scope on low setting, and all types of red dot sights out there.
And I've used them all at one time or another on various platforms.
Maybe it works better for others, but not myself.
One of these days, will probably put it up for sale/trade here for a traditional scope for the Ruger Scout.

I have chosen forward mounted optics on most of my rifles, bolt, semi and lever (at least five different rifles and I am working on doing this to more rifles). The GSR is not the only one. It works well for me.

The only rifles I will never do this to, are the family heirloom rifles (e.g., my father's sporterized '03A3).
Are we talking optics as in powered scope or red dots? I've got lots with forward mounted red dots. I tried the scout scope on the trigger I owned, just couldn't do it very well. Loved the irons on it though. I wish ruger would make an American with irons!

Are we talking optics as in powered scope or red dots? I've got lots with forward mounted red dots. I tried the scout scope on the trigger I owned, just couldn't do it very well. Loved the irons on it though. I wish ruger would make an American with irons!
I am talking any kind of "optic" that has a single focal plane. I think I have LPVO two pistol scopes and two "Scout" scopes, maybe more. I also have a Leupold 1X prism, three Mepro M21s (for PS90s) and a SeeAll sight that I haven't tried yet but it looks promising. I have a couple of inexpensive Bushnell red dots.

Had one, liked it.

Traded it off though, simply due to magazines not being interchangeable. Went with similar sized Mossberg MVP which accepts LR/SR magazines as do our AR10 rifles & Ruger Precision.

Ruger Scout is the better rifle IMO, however shoot about the same - in our hands.

Something to consider is all.

I am talking any kind of "optic" that has a single focal plane. I think I have LPVO two pistol scopes and two "Scout" scopes, maybe more. I also have a Leupold 1X prism, three Mepro M21s (for PS90s) and a SeeAll sight that I haven't tried yet but it looks promising. I have a couple of inexpensive Bushnell red dots.
I've got one of the see alls on a shotgun. It works really well for that application. It's a bit hard to get a precise aim with compared to other types of sights. I appreciate its simplicity though, and bring shotshell, it's perfect for holding on a target and the spread doing what it does.

Had one in blue with the laminated stock, was too heavy as mentioned. If it was stainless with a lighter stock I may have kept it.
As a scout rifle, meh...
I wish I'd kept the Steyr scout I had years ago, bucked like a SOB but was much better than the Ruger in a scout rifle role.

I had a Scout, but sold it and replaced it with the Hawkeye Guides in both .30/06 AND .338 Win Mag, both are a lot more useful while having many of the scout features!
Yessss a 338 WM scout rifle that's what I"m talking about !
1681448744930.png

Everything said so far is true. My problem was a heavy trigger and a gun that would group two shots and throw the third. Every. Single. Time. Got better with Velzey doing a free float and trigger job, but it's no precision rifle. Before the gunsmith work was a 1.5-2" gun, and as sold, a 1moa gun on a good day.

I replaced it with a Tikka CTR in 6.5… sub MOA all day long, and with 140gr ELDM handloads, 0.5moa no problem. I like it so much I put it in a KRG XRay chassis and upped the scope to Vortex 5-25. It's a little heavier than the scout now but I actually enjoy shooting it and don't find myself getting frustrated.

I put the old Burris 2-7 scout scope on a Swedish Mauser model 38 and it's a little lighter than the GSR, and way more accurate.

41908170-C412-401E-AD1D-EDEF713C0DBA.jpeg 3D0A2C53-C87E-4306-B416-C8BEB214EADC.jpeg

it the first gun I would grab it all bubblegum hits the fan and I need to head to the woods. Short, fast shooting, accurate and enough power to kill whatever I need..

Everything said so far is true. My problem was a heavy trigger and a gun that would group two shots and throw the third. Every. Single. Time. Got better with Velzey doing a free float and trigger job, but it's no precision rifle. Before the gunsmith work was a 1.5-2" gun, and as sold, a 1moa gun on a good day.
I assume the trigger is the same as the M77? If so, there are replacements. I have not shot my GSR yet.

I assume the trigger is the same as the M77? If so, there are replacements. I have not shot my GSR yet.
Yes, the trigger is the same.
Was considering a timney due to the internet buzz when the Scout first became available, but after shooting my Scout, it got left alone, as the factory trigger was good on this particular rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top