JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm confused why the Tac 14 can't be made to be a pistol, similar to way ARs can be pistols.

An AR can have a short barrel, and no stock, and be sold as a pistol. Perfectly legal. They are pistols, not "firearm"

Why can't the 870 be sold the same way? Short barrel, with no stock, and mfd'd as a pistol. Why must it go the "firearn" not concealable route, to have a short barrel?

You can. Just need to file some paperwork with our federal overlords.

43DD4E19-5996-44F2-98D8-3C04B173F93D.jpeg

In Washington most people are disqualified from SBS possession. But if it never had a stock and was under 26" it could be bought as an AOW with the proper paperwork.

I'm confused why the Tac 14 can't be made to be a pistol, similar to way ARs can be pistols.

An AR can have a short barrel, and no stock, and be sold as a pistol. Perfectly legal. They are pistols, not "firearm"

Why can't the 870 be sold the same way? Short barrel, with no stock, and mfd'd as a pistol. Why must it go the "firearn" not concealable route, to have a short barrel?

It might have something to do with it being a pump-action requiring two hands to fully operate, while the semi-auto TAC-13 is (so I've read at several places) considered a pistol by WA state. I'm waiting for the supply chains to open up again so @LuckySG can get me the hook-up on one of them!

Yes... you will be mine... come to Butthead. :s0168: 06E2AF01-EF62-41C7-9DE7-A81B1C5FF5E3.jpeg

It might have something to do with it being a pump-action requiring two hands to fully operate, while the semi-auto TAC-13 is (so I've read at several places) considered a pistol by WA state. I'm waiting for the supply chains to open up again so @LuckySG can get me the hook-up on one of them!

Yes... you will be mine... come to Butthead. :s0168:View attachment 697151

Nope.

Oregon considers the Tac14 to be a pump pistol, so @Stomper will get his semi auto pistol once New York gets back to work and builds one. State government is brilliant, no? :D

On the OPs thing, it has to do with the wording in the definition of pistol and the definition of shotgun at the FEDERAL level. IE these "FIREARMS" do not meet the legal definition of a pistol or a shotgun. Or any other weapon, or a SBS and or SBR. They fall outside all of those definitions and land in the "firearm" category.

In the definition of a pistol, the word rifling is used.

In the definition of shotgun, the word stock is used.

Inch measurements are included in the definition of a shotgun and SBS as well as AOWs. Which these do not adhere to as the lengths they are made do not fit into those used in defining the other types of weapons.

States that follow the federal law on these, simply define them as the federal government does.

Only in states that tried to change their own legal definitions, after they were already being sold, are the reason they are defined as pistols or something else.

I have not been able to find one of those in stock ANYWHERE, online or otherwise. Put some cash down on a 590 nightstick the other day, though. I'm excited to go pick it up.

1589574762073.png

You are all missing the point.
I'm not asking why the tac14 isn't a listol.

I'm asking why a firearm like the tac14, can't be manufactured as a pistol. Where kength isn't an issue There ARE already many pistols that fire shotgun shells.

But generally all that is required is for a manufacturer to make a pistol with a certain mfg run and it's pistol. Provided it meets the definition of a pistol. Pistols can have short barrels. Pistols can't have stocks. Hmmm can pistols have smooth bores? I think thats the right answer. All the pistols I know of that shoot shotgun shells are rifled barrels

I do believe it is the bore size being over 1/2inch that means it cannot be a legal pistol without NFA paperwork. Taurus tried to introduce a 20 gauge revolver years ago along the lines of the .410/45Colt models. They set up at SHOT show and an ATF agent contacted them before opening that it had to be pulled from public viewing.

My Tac-13 was listed as a "Firearm" and I was warned by the shop that I could not carry it concealed as I could with a handgun. because it is NOT a pistol.
But I was able to find a brace for it!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR