JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Unless you like shooting, while holding a gun with 3 fingers then the public defender is a no go, Taurus is going to come out with a polymer frame, steel barrel insert judge, that'll cut the weight and bulk down, but I'll keep my expectations low until i can handle one.

of that one for in the MH. Confined area and the shot gun I now have in there just might be too big. I do use the Aguila ½ size shells to reduce collateral damage to others. But even the 20" barrel and polymer stock of the Win 1300 are kind of long to swing inside. Our MH is 41' long with three slides so it's not like the narrow "bowling alley" that a lot are but still....

I have a locking pistol safe beside the drivers seat, I'll have to see if a Judge will fit in it. I also carry a KT .223 for longer distance "social situations" although I just got an AK-74 that I might take when I can find ammo.

Also with such a short barrel the .410 option is pretty worthless unless you are shooting mice, or the bad guy is 4' away or less.

Guess you haven't seen the pictures and videos of what the special .410's do now. A 3" shell can have five .30 cal pellets and they don't spread much. There is one shell that has 3 about .40 cal flat pellets and 3 or so .30's, that one looks like a "killer"!

I've carried several kinds of pistols over the years, 1911's, Glox, "wonder nine's," revolvers, etc. I've settled on the S&W 457. Single stack, light weight, alloy frame, compact design made for ccw, + .45acp power. Plus, it's in your price range.

Pistols08009.jpg

I recommend going to a couple of ranges, rent a bunch of pistols and find what works for you. We are all individuals and there are many types of guns to fit each persons needs and wants. Others recommendations are an integral part of the equation, but it all comes down to what works best for you and what you like to shoot best. The amount of choices for concealing a hand gun these days are incredible. You can conceal pretty much any pistol you choose. Key words....you choose. There are a few ranges around like Champion Arms in Kent where you can rent a large selection of pistols for $14.00 plus ammo. Go out drive some, see what you really like. Comfort can make a huge difference to whether you carry a pistol or leave it home in the safe. And we all know how much good the gun at home in the safe is right now.
Good luck on your quest.
Dan

While I REALLY like the Kimber CDP II, its just too expensive for me. Beautiful gun though. I decided on the Glock 30SF. Excellent CCW gun, but a little on the thick side. This is my "Winter" gun. Very smooth to shoot. And is 10+1 to boot.
My summer gun..... for now.... is the Glock 27. I am in the process of saving for a Kahr PM40, or MK40. They are sweet little guns.

Good luck.

Everyone keeps raving about the Kahr, lol....I'll have to check it out as well. So many to look at. I still like the looks of the Charles Daly M5X and have read good reviews. I like the Para Ordnance Warthog series as well but it might be a little out of my price range...pfff. I do like Glock and carried one for a while but I want something different this time out....

Everyone keeps raving about the Kahr, lol....I'll have to check it out as well. So many to look at. I still like the looks of the Charles Daly M5X and have read good reviews. I like the Para Ordnance Warthog series as well but it might be a little out of my price range...pfff. I do like Glock and carried one for a while but I want something different this time out....

The Warthog may be an OK gun...but their service is awfull. My experience.

Will

Ive owned a Glock30, and I hated it. Yes, I said it, I hated the Glock30. I have medium sized hands, and with a double stacked mag on a small, polymer framed handgun = a bad mix. Add DAO and you've got a heavy recoil on a lightweight gun thats uncomfortable to shoot and inaccurate.

I carry a Sig P229R for daily carry in 9mm. Its super accurate, a little heavier, but overall is just a better fit for me. If I go back to .45 for daily carry, it will be a 1911. Heavier, but its a comfortable handgun and handles .45 very well. Dont count it out because of its size, its very slim and alot of times easier to conceal than a smaller polymer framed hanndgun with a double stacked mag.

The Judge is a joke unless you live in poisonous snake country or have a barn full of rats to shoot. It's just a huge, heavy, oversized .45 as far as self defense goes

If you want a 6 shot .45 Colt or .45 ACP, get a Smith and Wesson

Ive owned a Glock30, and I hated it. Yes, I said it, I hated the Glock30. I have medium sized hands, and with a double stacked mag on a small, polymer framed handgun = a bad mix. Add DAO and you've got a heavy recoil on a lightweight gun thats uncomfortable to shoot and inaccurate.

Glocks are not DAO. The gun is 90% cocked when in condition zero.

But if you don't like it, that's all she wrote. FWIW I agree with you that a double-stack like the G30 isn't ideal for CCW, and that's why I vote for -

GLOCK 36!

It's single-stack like a 1911 at a much lower mass, but with the lower bore axis and progressive spring that make it very friendly to shoot. Sore hands? Never - not once, ever.

I carry my G36 all day, every day, IWB in an MTAC.:s0155:

The G36 is only 3-4 mm narrower then the G30 at the slide. The handle is thinner but then again thats why its single stack and only 6 rnds. I would carry a kahr if you only want 5-6 rnds. If not you need to go double stack.

I used to always carry a Baby Eagle by Magnum Research. It's kind of a big frame, but it feels just right in the hand for me.

For me, one of the things I consider is how well I could grab it if i were in some sort of situation. I like how a lot of the compacts feel on the hip, but for a lot of them, I wasn't confident I'd be able to grab it and control it right should the need ever arise.

But I have big hands. I think the grips on the BE are on the larger size, certainly larger than a lot of compacts. My wife said she had a hard time reaching enough to shoot it. So there's that. And I'm also pretty tall, so apparently I can conceal just about anything on me. That's what people keep telling me, at least.

On the other hand, I've always liked Taurus' Millennium Pro. I think it's a PT-145? That's always felt good. I had to sell my Baby Eagle last year:(, but when I get another, I'm seriously thinking about that Taurus.

It's a bit of a hike, but if you want to come down towards Tacoma I have a few .45's that I would be willing to let you give a spin. Just pay for your own range fee and ammo.

Sig's are a P220, P245, and P220 Carry SAO (This one gets the most holster time lately).
1911's are Wilson CQB w/ lightrail and CQB compact and a S.A. Ultra Compact.

What about wheel guns? I know it's not .45 but something in a .357, .41 or .38 +P? Revolvers make good carry guns with stopping power and intimidation factor yes?

number of .45 APC wheel guns. Charter Arms was supposed to have a non-moonclip one out by now but production has all been put toward fulfilling back orders.

I know, a Charter Arms isn't something I'm going to sit around and admire for it's neat looks and high quality machining, but they go BANG when needed, carry well and are accurate enough for self defense.

On the other hand, I've always liked Taurus' Millennium Pro. I think it's a PT-145? That's always felt good. I had to sell my Baby Eagle last year:(, but when I get another, I'm seriously thinking about that Taurus.

three of them, guess what I carry 90+% of the time? The other 10-% is a .380 with Crimson Trace in my bathrobe. The PT-145 is just a little big and heavy for that use!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top