Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

concealed license question

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by finch6013, Mar 10, 2010.

1. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I need to make an appointment to get my CHL. question is do I have to get it in the county that I live in or can I go to another county that might not be as backed up with CHL appointments.

2. Gendaito

Gendaito PDX Member

Oregon CHL's are administered by county, so yes, you need to go to the county that you reside in.

If you move from one county to another, you'll need to get a new CHL issued by your new county.

3. Mattiosmaximos

Mattiosmaximos Blachly Member

You can take the paperwork into your sheriffs office after you take the course. You can take the course out of your county, I did.
    Oregon Firearms academy is great fun!
    Matthew

4. CanCanCase

CanCanCase Southern Oregon Coast Member

I'm not an expert in OR law, but this is the OPPOSITE of my understanding...

The above quoted statement would be correct if we were discussing The People's Republik Of Kalifornia. As I understand the Oregon system, the County Sheriff's Office collects info and passes it on to State authorities who then issue the permit (which is valid State-wide.)

-Case

5. wavo

wavo Portland Member

It is county specific. Once you move you have to get a new ID for the county you live in. I just had to do this...Multnomah to Clackamas.

6. SnackCracker

SnackCracker Lake oswego, OR Member

Yes, this is correct. Only out of state residents have the option to apply for a CHL with any county in Oregon. Since they are non residents of Oregon, they send their paperwork in to a county of their choice to obtain a CHL.

Any Oregon resident MUST get their CHL issued by the county in which they reside.

7. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Yep, its by County. In Clackamas you go to the office at the Sheriffs Gun Range. Check it out on the Internet, you get the number and call for an appointment. Its an easy process in Clackamas County and Washington County.

But Multnomah takes some time since there are usually a large amounts of applicants at the Sheriff's office at any one time.

8. CanCanCase

CanCanCase Southern Oregon Coast Member

ah-ha! Since I got mine before getting my OR DL, I assumed all applicants could apply in any county (it's actually easier to obtain a CHL than a driver license in Coos County these days!) I guess the Sheriff's office looked at my Alaska DL and business records in OR and assumed I was non-resident.

As far as moving, is it a whole new application process with a new fee, prints and b/g check, or is it just an updating of address info similar to DMV?

-Case

9. LCspeedsteel

LCspeedsteel hillsboro Member

after you fill out a change of address for DMV and get your new sticker, you take it so the SO, pay $15 (for washington county, others might be different) and they re-print your card right then and you leave with it.