JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon CHL's are administered by county, so yes, you need to go to the county that you reside in.

If you move from one county to another, you'll need to get a new CHL issued by your new county.

Oregon CHL's are administered by county, so yes, you need to go to the county that you reside in.

If you move from one county to another, you'll need to get a new CHL issued by your new county.

I'm not an expert in OR law, but this is the OPPOSITE of my understanding...

The above quoted statement would be correct if we were discussing The People's Republik Of Kalifornia. As I understand the Oregon system, the County Sheriff's Office collects info and passes it on to State authorities who then issue the permit (which is valid State-wide.)

-Case

It is county specific. Once you move you have to get a new ID for the county you live in. I just had to do this...Multnomah to Clackamas.

Yes, this is correct. Only out of state residents have the option to apply for a CHL with any county in Oregon. Since they are non residents of Oregon, they send their paperwork in to a county of their choice to obtain a CHL.

Any Oregon resident MUST get their CHL issued by the county in which they reside.

Yep, its by County. In Clackamas you go to the office at the Sheriffs Gun Range. Check it out on the Internet, you get the number and call for an appointment. Its an easy process in Clackamas County and Washington County.

But Multnomah takes some time since there are usually a large amounts of applicants at the Sheriff's office at any one time.

ah-ha! Since I got mine before getting my OR DL, I assumed all applicants could apply in any county (it's actually easier to obtain a CHL than a driver license in Coos County these days!) I guess the Sheriff's office looked at my Alaska DL and business records in OR and assumed I was non-resident.

As far as moving, is it a whole new application process with a new fee, prints and b/g check, or is it just an updating of address info similar to DMV?

-Case

ah-ha! Since I got mine before getting my OR DL, I assumed all applicants could apply in any county (it's actually easier to obtain a CHL than a driver license in Coos County these days!) I guess the Sheriff's office looked at my Alaska DL and business records in OR and assumed I was non-resident.

As far as moving, is it a whole new application process with a new fee, prints and b/g check, or is it just an updating of address info similar to DMV?

-Case
after you fill out a change of address for DMV and get your new sticker, you take it so the SO, pay $15 (for washington county, others might be different) and they re-print your card right then and you leave with it.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews