JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to carry an XD40 4" or whatever the mid size is. 4-5" I don't think it matters because the grip is the same. I also carry a Sig SP2022 which I think is huge. I am 6' with a dad body which helps.

Personally I'm getting to like OWB. I have one holster for my P220 that works great and is way more comfortable.

... this pistol is just too big to realistically carry indoors where you're not going to want a jacket.
That's a really hard one to answer. Of course, if you're Built like a bag full of doorknobs it should Not be too much trouble. I've packed a 1911A1 for many moons without an issue but more than one of the moons I was also carrying a piece of Tin which could have made a difference. It never came down to that because I am very careful when I Carry which is almost always. Not knowing your body type makes answering tough. I suggest you try different garments and see what works around home. I often wear my shirt untucked or a shirt that isn't designed to be tucked in.

I used to carry a P229 or G23 all the time, bit now almost always carry a full-size auto (P226 or G22). Like what others have said, if you carry IWB, length isnt the issue. I'm 6'4" and built pretty wide in the chest and shoulders and have narrow hips, so I can hide just about anything on my 3:30 to 4:00 position.

PS: I have to carry on airlines from time to time and still opt for a full size gun, carried IWB. I think people get complacent in some places and notice even less.

I carry a full size 1911 IWB in the 3 to 4 o clock position, and have zero problems with it. Even better for sitting and or driving is a crossdraw set up which also hides nicely under a loose fit shirt, and even better with a sports jacket.

Well as more church shootings occur, I keep thinking about this. I'm 5 ft 11 inches and 210 pounds so not huge, not obese but definitely not thin. I'll try my Springfield in and outside at home and see how it goes. Need to decide between the two before investing in a holster.

You guys all seem to have ruled out any sort of "shoulder" holster rig.

Not so fast, a shoulder holster can work very well, again, depends on you and how the gun is positioned. I do have a shoulder rig that I like very much, it puts the pistol in a butt low position and hides very well under a light jacket! Best thing to do is try out as many holsters as you can and decide what works best for you, and just so you know, most of us have a drawer full of holsters!:)

In my experience a Bianchi X-15 Shoulder Holster(without the un-safety strap) will work really well especially for the 1911A1 platform. But, it does require some sort of drape and a good belt. I have tried the horizontal rigs and Simply don't find them to work well. Re-holstering is something not easily done especially if you have only one hand at the time.

I agree you should try as many designs as you can but I also think you should stop when you find one and not continue switching from one design to another.

SOB carry sucks, it is not as concealable as you think and is dangerous, I don't get why people do it.

The Danger Of "Small Of The Back" Carry

I too have a lower back impairment and there is no way that I could ever carry a pistol in the small of the back. I carry a compact 3.8 XDM40 at 4 o clock on the right side only anymore. I did carry a full size 4.5 XDM40 in the same holster but feli the extended grip would print more.
Years ago I did use a shoulder holster when I was lean & mean but since I've added weight since my injury I use an IWB holster & suspenders.

Good luck on your quest to CC..

I'm of the opinion that putting a holster in the Small of the Back position is extremely well named - SOB - because that is a VERY common expletive used the first(and normally only) time someone accidentally lands on that part of their body while wearing one!

Oh, but they do look cool, until you have someone hit you in the back. Yep, SOB fits.

if I can conceal a 4", my cousin who is 140lbs can do the same thing.. I don't see why a 5" is not possible.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top