JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it realistic to consider carrying this concealed? I just asked this morning if our church had a concealed carry policy or a "safety committee." Haven't heard back yet but my main thought now is whether this pistol is just too big to realistically carry indoors where you're not going to want a jacket.

IWB small of the back. In this case, Uncle Mikes softy. I have others, but prefer this one.

image.jpg

Last Edited:
I asked a Sheriff that attends and he didn't know of any official policy but I sent an inquiry to the Pastors. Of course we all know the bad guys aren't checking on policies. :)

when i was thinner i carried either a h&k usp in 40 s&w, or a full size kimber in .45 acp, I just always had a second shirt or a light jacket, and it was always iwb. I carried them in california for about 4 years before i left.

I never ask questions that could cause me problems down the line! If they did not welcome me and my Concealed gun, they would have a big sign at the door! And I would know to move on!

I use the acronym "CANT" Carry Always, Never Tell". Because you can never UN Tell someone!

As far as carrying a full sized gun, Detectives have been doing it for years. If you want to go on undetected without a jacket on you will need a holster that puts the grip of the gun under the top of your pants. Look at an Urban Carry Holster, Or Smart Carry. Both will put the grip below your waist band. Both will still need a good belt to keep everything in place. I have a son that carries a 1911 in the Urban Carry holster. It's very comfortable standing or sitting.
Or you can do what I do and put a smaller gun in my front pocket. I can get away with up to a Shield size gun in my pocket.

Good Luck, And I hope you haven't caused any problems that they won't get over! DR

I think body type is also a factor on what you can conceal. Being slim makes it more difficult to conceal a larger pistol.

Not really, As long as you are not trying to wear skinny jeans and a skin tight Tee shirt.
Slacks, Chinos, Dockers and something like that with the pleat in the front of the leg will hide a lot of gun. If you don't mind AIWB [down the front of the pants] No one stares at bulges there!
Stand in front of a full length mirror, And try the gun in different positions till you find that perfect spot. Then add a size or so to leave enough room for the gun and the draw.
Being thin is much like being Big, you still need to look for a hollow spot for the gun to blend into. When I first started carrying I was 5'7 and 135 lbs. It just takes a little work. DR

Not really, As long as you are not trying to wear skinny jeans and a skin tight Tee shirt.
Slacks, Chinos, Dockers and something like that with the pleat in the front of the leg will hide a lot of gun. If you don't mind AIWB [down the front of the pants] No one stares at bulges there!
Stand in front of a full length mirror, And try the gun in different positions till you find that perfect spot. Then add a size or so to leave enough room for the gun and the draw.
Being thin is much like being Big, you still need to look for a hollow spot for the gun to blend into. When I first started carrying I was 5'7 and 135 lbs. It just takes a little work. DR

I won't do appendix carry. Something about having a loaded gun pointed at my boys or a major artery. I carry at about the 4 o clock position. If I print, so be it. Most people wouldnt notice and the ones that do most likely think cell phone at that position.

Lots of good feedback. I'm really beginning to wonder if a smaller pistol carried on the ankle may make more sense. I don't want to have to buy larger pants, have difficulty sitting in a chair, etc. Two Sundays a month I spend most of my church time in a sound booth which is elevated up in the back wall -- theoretically I could keep a gun there in a backpack under my desk ( I know the objections there -- slower retrieval and risk of somebody else getting into the bag )

BTDT - I used to own a 5 inch XD. Carried string side OWB in a Galco FLETCH holster. Wear a loose fitting cover garment long enough to cover the muzzle. Or go with a shoulder holster or IWB - whatever is comfortable enougb for you. The grip is the hardest part to conceal on most guns not the muzzle.

I carry a full sized auto, a G17 OWB all the time and don't get made. I typically wear a tee shirt and unbuttoned shirt over that and it works great. If it is a "huggy" church then someone might feel you out then say something though.

I almost always wear a tshirt and regular shirt with the tail out so I'll give it a try, maybe at the 4 o'clock position. I'm always have to pull my pants up so who knows, maybe the bulge IWB will help :)

I'm going to see if I have something around here to test this out before springing for a decent IWB holster.

I almost always wear a tshirt and regular shirt with the tail out so I'll give it a try, maybe at the 4 o'clock position. I'm always have to pull my pants up so who knows, maybe the bulge IWB will help :)

I'm going to see if I have something around here to test this out before springing for a decent IWB holster.

If you have a leather Glock holster theres a good chance the XD will fit. My FLETCH was for the Glock 17/22 and the XD fit great. The extra half inch poked out a bit, but was no biggie. I carried at 3-3:30 and had no issues. Guns carried on the side or in front of the hip print far less when bending or reaching than guns carried behind the hip. If carrying behind the hip a forward incline helps in both drawing the gun and concealing it. Carrying at or in front of the hip personally I prefer a straight drop holster.

With an Alien Gear IWB I am able to conceal my XDm 4.5 with no problems. It is even more comfortable to carry that then my Sig Compact 1911 in the same style of holster.
Where do you place it? I normally wear a fairly heavy men's leather belt about 1.4 inches wide, but also have an
Uncle Mike's Tactical Two-Layer Nylon Reinforced Instructor's Belt

My XD is a 5 inch but that should be really similar to yours and no wider which is the main issue, not length.

Lots of good feedback. I'm really beginning to wonder if a smaller pistol carried on the ankle may make more sense. I don't want to have to buy larger pants, have difficulty sitting in a chair, etc. Two Sundays a month I spend most of my church time in a sound booth which is elevated up in the back wall -- theoretically I could keep a gun there in a backpack under my desk ( I know the objections there -- slower retrieval and risk of somebody else getting into the bag )

I'm not calling you out but I hear this alot. People will buy another gun and several holsters rather than buy bigger pants or shirts! Don't think of it as buying bigger. Think of it as buying what fits, and what fits the gun you are trying to carry. It's the gun, not you! DR

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top