JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If the point is concealed carry , why does anybody know if you are armed or not ? Given the always possible "extreme event " when your carry status becomes known , (not happened to me yet in 6 + years of cc) usually , unless you bring attention to it , a concealed handgun is your little secret and nobody should object since they are unaware of the gun in the first place. Take the time to find a method of concealment that works for you and carry that way . I try not to pick and choose where I'm armed , because the bad guy doesn't read signs.

Now I am young in the whole pistol and CC ideas... (starting the process thursday for my license)

I have seen only one comment in this thread regarding my question: Church.

I am a God fearing man who will protect his family, blood and Christ family. People are getting more and more weird on a daily basis and I have always felt that places of worship are vulnerable.

Need we be reminded:
<broken link removed>

Less than a year ago. Not the first instance.

What's your thoughts on this? I know concealed is concealed. Dont' ask, don't tell etc. Ethically I have no problem carrying anywhere...

It's a little different here. Would this be something one would advise asking prior permission from a pastor?

Only you and God need to know about your little secret , and , God forbid , the unthinkable happens , you'll be able to help protect his flock . The criminal know s no boundaries , he will strike whenever and wherever he feels gives him the greatest chance of success .

Only you and God need to know about your little secret , and , God forbid , the unthinkable happens , you'll be able to help protect his flock . The criminal know s no boundaries , he will strike whenever and wherever he feels gives him the greatest chance of success .

That's what I was thinking too but on the other end there lies the complex nature of wanting to do things the right or proper way.

Nobody's business what I have on underneath my clothes. Don't ask, don't tell.

That's the attitude I'll be having very soon.

I've only been asked one time if it was OK to CC in my home and the was from a LEO who was staying over for the weekend. I don't believe it ever comes up unless the guys are pulling them out and comparing.
Part of being a responsible gun owner and CCW holder is knowing your surroundings and an awareness of situations that you're putting yourself into. No one should know you're carrying and if you're entering a unfamiliar or hostile location you better be able to carry discretely enough for it never to come up; or as said in several of the above posts you're doing something wrong and maybe you should not be carrying.

I would never carry into someone's house I don't know, but then again I wouldn't go to someone's house I didn't know.

Most of the time I know the stance of people/friends before I go to their house. So I don't mind carrying there. I would rather leave it at home then risk getting a friend all p'd off at me. Or more likely his wife. But then again if they were p'd off I would probably not hangout with them.

If I felt I had to carry I would either not go there, or take it and make sure it doesn't show. No different than taking into a restaurant/store/regal cinemas/etc. There's always going to be some ignorant fool who's offended by it. That's the world we live in. If you carry concealed then make sure it's concealed at all times.

My weapon is an extension of myself. If someone invites me in, then they invite ALL of me in.

And concealed means concealed.

As far as respect goes, I think it is entirely disrespectful to attempt to disarm a person you have invited into your home and I have a number of choice, very strong words for small-minded, ignorant individuals that would do such a thing. In short, I won't be around them.

It's pretty much a don't ask don't tell unless it comes up. All my friends and family know who carries and who doesn't. It's pretty much public knowledge, and we just assume that that person(s) is carrying then. Currently I don't as I'm waiting for my permit to clear first, but everyone is aware that I will be in the near future as well and being on the other 50&#37; of us that carries.

Not to mention, about 1/2 of them have it on their hip open carry as well, so that takes the guessing out of it. A lot of people are more comfortable with it than not. Kinda like having an armed cop there, they feel more secure with them around.

Then you'd better post "THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE" on your door, that way neither of our "rights" are stepped on. BTW I wouldn't visit anyone who has an aversion to conceal carry........:s0155:

You might be missing the point. In most places an adult with no criminal background or other disqualifying attributes is eligible to get a CCL.

I'd say 90%+ of CCL holders I know are mature, responsible and well trained with their guns. I've got small kids in my house. Even with good intentions, if some bozo relative leaves his carry weapon on the bathroom counter because he got drunk from eggnog at my Christmas party, and my 4 year old daughter gets a hold of it...

As a home owner and a father I reserve the right to refuse entry to someone who I don't consider competent to carry. It may be awkward for the CCL holder to ask, and maybe as awkward for me to insist they leave their heat in their car.

It's my house, and my rules and I should respect the same of anyone else.

I'm a don't ask/don't tell person. I expect those invited into my home are honest/responsible people and if they are armed then good for them. I expect the same applies in reverse and in many years of consealed carry only once was my pistol noticed. A friends wife came up behind me at a BBQ (at my home) and poked me in the side to make me jump. She hit my pistol instead, joking she said whats that and pulled up my shirt to see. The look on her face was priceless. I took her aside to explain that I carry and the reasons why. I asked her to keep it to herself. She was fine with it, her husband hunts and carries a pistol when he hunts. A few weeks latter my friend called me and said he was thinking about buying a new pistol, do I have any advice what he should get. I made him confess that his wife told him, even though she promised to keep it to herself. Several months later he got his CPL and has carried since.

Clearly this could have gone far differently but it hasn't changed how I feel about CC. If you CC do it well so it doesn't become an issue. I expect many have seen the person where there CC prints or is exposed if they bend over, reach up or the wind blows. Find what work well for you to keep your pistol consealed.

As for the notion of the guy having one too many eggnogs and leaving his pistol on the bathroom counter. I would filter the people in your life better. Most responsible CC people know if they are going to be drinking the firearm stays home. If you carry while drinking (including drinking just a little) and have to use your firearm you will be in a world of hurt. No matter what you will be considered having impared judgement and have to dig out of a deep hole to prevent going to jail. With out question if you have someone in your home/at your door that your not right with packing heat then you should ask them to leave. I wouldn't ask them to put there pistol in there car as it is still just a short walk away. If your concerned enough to have this conversation with a friend you should be telling them to leave your home.

As for the notion of the guy having one too many eggnogs and leaving his pistol on the bathroom counter. I would filter the people in your life better. Most responsible CC people know if they are going to be drinking the firearm stays home. If you carry while drinking (including drinking just a little) and have to use your firearm you will be in a world of hurt. No matter what you will be considered having impared judgement and have to dig out of a deep hole to prevent going to jail. With out question if you have someone in your home/at your door that your not right with packing heat then you should ask them to leave. I wouldn't ask them to put there pistol in there car as it is still just a short walk away. If your concerned enough to have this conversation with a friend you should be telling them to leave your home.

I guess hard liquor and handgun's night is going to go by the way side.Times are a changin'.
Come on people...The guy's getting drunk and packing a gun,and you think he should leave his gun in his car? A car is a deadly weapon also, and actually probably more likely to cause a tragedy.
I'm trying to imagine a situation where I would have a drunk around my 4 year old,let alone an armed one that leaves his pistol laying around?

here' want i think. All the people's houses that i would enter 1) know that i am gun enthusiast or 2) are one as well all of which know that if i've got my pants on i'm armed. that just the it goes and i don't care what anyone else thinks

If someone I knew, vaguely or well, was of the sort I'd not trust to be IN my home carrying, I am quite certain I'd not trust them to be IN my home at all. Trustworthy is trustworthy, with or without a weapon.

I spent a week, some time back, with a long time friend who moved away from here, hadn't seen him for 12 years or so. I knew he liked guns, didn't know whether he carried or had any handguns. I found out during the week.... he does, both. I carried most of the week I stayed with them, everywhere we went. Stores, restaurants, outside, in the house, his businesses, a construction project. I asked him, out of curiosity, if he had been aware I'd been carrying all week, everywhere. He'd had no clue. I was warned, though, he has a son who is autistic, does not obey well, is as curious as they come, and VERY quick and skilled with his hands. I had to keep my room locked so he'd not get in there and "explore". Nights, I'd bury the weapon well, wrap it up in other stuff, so if he did get into my room, he'd have a hard time and take a while to discover the weapon. I also never had a round in the chamber... I felt the added safety should a kid get hold of it more than offset the second's delay I'd have in racking the slide to ready the first round.

As to church, my own is interesting... since I've gotten more involved with firearms, I've discovered that nearly every family I've known for years are also gun enthusiasts..... even to the point many carry, their wives as well, and their children are avid shooters. After weekly church meeting once, I was chatting up one fellow I've known for nearly ten years, asking him about carry options (I'd just learned he is an NRA instructor, actively teaching nearly every course they offer, including instructing instructors). I never knew he was "into guns", nor that he carried. He told me he was, right then, carrying three handguns, and does, nearly everywhere he goes. Has been for far longer than I've known him. I was totally surprised.

If someone I knew, vaguely or well, was of the sort I'd not trust to be IN my home carrying, I am quite certain I'd not trust them to be IN my home at all. Trustworthy is trustworthy, with or without a weapon.

The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. There are people who are trustworthy in terms of honesty and heart but also happen to be unsafe with firearms. Gun safety is something that is learned and practiced. There are individuals who love guns but do stupid, unsafe things with them. There are others who have close to no training with them so even though they want to be safe, they do not know how.

Regarding entering the house of another with a CCW, it's one of those things where if you know the person has an aversion to firearms it is completely disrespectful to bring one into their home. When one is a guest, it means that one has to be conscious of the host's rules. It's like not smoking inside a person's home who is not a smoker and does not want guests smoking in his home. It's that person's place, he pays the bills on it, he gets to have his domain. Now that might mean I never go there to hang out, but that's a call I make that does not interfere with that individual's right to determine what is acceptable in his place.

Trying to have it both ways where we know the rules and ignore them but we are worried about people not respecting our rights is hypocritical. Why should anyone respect our rights, if we do not respect theirs?

I still say don't ask/don't tell. I will carry concealed everywhere it is legal, and nobody is going to know one way or the other, whether they have an aversion to firearms or not. Smoking is a bad analogy, unless you can do it without others being aware you are doing it in their presence. A better analogy is someone having an aversion to people wearing black underwear. I don't really care if you have an aversion, it is none of your business what color my underwear is. Don't ask, and I certainly am not gonna tell. Anymore than I will tell you I am armed (or with what), or that I do or do not have a 7th degree black belt before entering someone's home. That is my personal business. Either you trust me to be in your home or you don't. Period.

The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. There are people who are trustworthy in terms of honesty and heart but also happen to be unsafe with firearms. Gun safety is something that is learned and practiced. There are individuals who love guns but do stupid, unsafe things with them. There are others who have close to no training with them so even though they want to be safe, they do not know how.

Regarding entering the house of another with a CCW, it's one of those things where if you know the person has an aversion to firearms it is completely disrespectful to bring one into their home. When one is a guest, it means that one has to be conscious of the host's rules. It's like not smoking inside a person's home who is not a smoker and does not want guests smoking in his home. It's that person's place, he pays the bills on it, he gets to have his domain. Now that might mean I never go there to hang out, but that's a call I make that does not interfere with that individual's right to determine what is acceptable in his place.

Trying to have it both ways where we know the rules and ignore them but we are worried about people not respecting our rights is hypocritical. Why should anyone respect our rights, if we do not respect theirs?

Smoking is a bad analogy, unless you can do it without others being aware you are doing it in their presence. A better analogy is someone having an aversion to people wearing black underwear. I don't really care if you have an aversion, it is none of your business what color my underwear is.

Not quite. That's a total straw argument. Wearing black underwear is in no way akin to carrying a firearm. What people are objecting to is a type of conduct in their home that realistically could be turned against them if the person carrying the firearm has a bad day. When Jeffrey A. Grahn a Sergeant with the Clackamas County Sheriff's Department decided to go off recently, he was off-duty and carrying concealed. He had all the training and screening to suggest that he could be trusted and yet ultimately he violated that trust. If someone has made the decision not to allow armed individuals in their home, we are free to disagree but we should have the integrity to respect the person's right to choose who and what he will allow in his home.

Don't ask, and I certainly am not gonna tell. Anymore than I will tell you I am armed (or with what), or that I do or do not have a 7th degree black belt before entering someone's home. That is my personal business. Either you trust me to be in your home or you don't. Period.

There's a difference between not asking, not advertising, and intentionally ignoring someone's request not to enter his home armed. It may have nothing to do with trust. And honestly, if you cannot agree to someone's terms without lying, why should anyone trust you?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top