JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are your thoughts on entering another persons home while carrying? Either close friend or an acquaintance? Is there a courtesy in disclosing or asking permission to bring a firearm into their home? Or is it one of those don't ask don't tell things? I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone else coming into my home armed without my knowledge. Whether it be a group get together or whatever, frisking everyone at the door would just seem odd. Do you just consider everyone armed and keep your situational awareness tuned in at every moment? I suppose I am just now considering the issue and though I would throw out some food for thought. What are your opinions on the matter?

If you're doing it right how would anybody every know that you're carrying concealed unless you told them? And if you told them, then it wouldn't exactly be carrying concealed anymore would it?

I realize this but in certain states it is a requirement to disclose to the homeowner. Not to say that is the case here. I just thought the topic might spark some discussion.

in certain states it is a requirement to disclose to the homeowner.

Really? That's fascinating... I've never heard a stipulation in a CC law to that effect. What is the fine for not doing so?

Having carried concealed for over 35 years, I'm of the "don't ask, don't tell" CC persuasion. Unless I need to hand my LDBU gun to a unarmed co-combatant, nobody ever knows... and therefore nobody ever cares.

C

I have one friend that knows that I conceal carry, and his response was that PLEASE TAKE THE ROUND OUT OF THE PIPE, as long as I don't have one in the chamber he is cool with it. Then I have the place where my girlfriend lives. Her roommate is her best friend and she does not want a loaded gun in the house. The roommate doesn't like me and I don't like her either BUT out of respect I used to leave the gun in my girl's car. Then I decided to just take the gun apart and keep the frame in the car, locked in the glove box and take the slide and barrel and recoil spring along with the ammo inside. I wish my girl's roommate was not so ignorant. I say ignorant because she knows that I have experience in firearms and I'd be more then happy to keep the chamber clear and the magazine out of the firearm. I bet if someone broke into the house and tried to harm her and I saved her butt she'd have a different view........... should have could have would have I guess. Bottom line, I tell a friend or someone that I know that I have a firearm out of respect and if they don't like it then I have the option of leaving I guess. I believe that education is a big part but I also understand that some people have had negative experience in their past and I have to respect that and not force my "thing" up on them. Oh and when the roommate is not around, my girlfriend lets me bring the gun into the house loaded and locked and that is one reason why I love the girl hahahahahaha.

[If] I had an "acquaintance" (girlfriends friend?) and they: 1) knew I carried (If I was stupid enough to tell them?)... and didn't want me there with my weapon... I probably wouldn't go there! 2) If they are refusing me my right to self defense and protection.... I wouldn't go there! 3) If I didn't like the person and they didn't like me.... I wouldn't go there! Hmmm, do I detect a pattern here?
It was said "I don't know how I would feel about someone in my house carrying...." How would I know unless they told me? AND.... I want my true friends to be armed for their own safety AND I might need their help!
Just my 2cents.
SR

Well my gf told her friend/roommate........ there is so much more I wanna say about the fat cow but I can't because i'll get flagged lol but yeah it was stupid but it wasn't me that said anything........ I too believe that a true friend would let his or her friend carry to defend themselves........ that is why I used the word IGNORANT lol

I to am of the "don't ask don't tell" persuasion, a few "good" friends know I have a CHL and I assume they know I carry all the time, including church, they've never asked. Outta sight outta mind ...........

I don't think it is appropriate to CC into a person's home unless you know for certain that they are ok with it.

I would not care for someone CC'ing in my home unless I knew they were doing so and I was comfortable not only with their ability to handle a firearm but also with their maturity and their judgment.

Your "rights" stop at the threshold of another's home. Once you cross the threshold, it's their castle and their rules and you are bound to honor them.

I don't think it is appropriate to CC into a person's home unless you know for certain that they are ok with it.

I would not care for someone CC'ing in my home unless I knew they were doing so and I was comfortable not only with their ability to handle a firearm but also with their maturity and their judgment.

Your "rights" stop at the threshold of another's home. Once you cross the threshold, it's their castle and their rules and you are bound to honor them.

Then you'd better post "THIS IS A GUN FREE ZONE" on your door, that way neither of our "rights" are stepped on. BTW I wouldn't visit anyone who has an aversion to conceal carry........:s0155:

Really? That's fascinating... I've never heard a stipulation in a CC law to that effect. What is the fine for not doing so?

Having carried concealed for over 35 years, I'm of the "don't ask, don't tell" CC persuasion. Unless I need to hand my LDBU gun to a unarmed co-combatant, nobody ever knows... and therefore nobody ever cares.

C

In Arkansas you must disclose and obtain permission to enter a private residence from the occupants. Just an example. I'm not sure what the penalty is. Schools and places of worship are prohibited as well but that is another issue there.

A friend of mine is ok when I carry in her house. Her husband isn't so comfortable. The resolution was that I just drop the mag/empty the cylinder when I'm there. I still have everything on me, just 'safe'. I thought that was a great middle ground since I could still bring my defense weapon to bear with a modicum of delay.

I understand this line in principle but how far can you take it? Should I make a list of everything I don't want someone to bring into my house. Please check your leathermens, lighter, pocket knives and guns at the door. That would be an odd 'welcome' mat to have at your front door.

You are absolutely right in your comments ...IF... IF... they knew I was carrying.
I don't tell anybody I'm carrying, for me, that's the idea of Concealed carry!
Sadly, I have been in a home when a drug induced idiot came in (person known to the family) and threatened another person in the house with a gun (ILLEGALLY Carried!!) non-the-less... carried!

A friend of mine (an an off duty SWAT member) and the only other person who knew I was "probably" carrying (he taught my CHL class years before) gave me a signal, I answered affirmative with a nod and we moved into positions and when the time was right and others were NOT in danger, we stopped the scenario! This took all of 5-19 seconds. Thankfully, NO shots were fired and no one hurt (this time!).

SO... do you know when, where and who?? NO!

Personally I will carry everywhere legal in my state or that I am legal to carry in another state AND tell no one. Should I be questioned, I will answer with honesty, state my position and, should they ask I not carry my weapon for my own protection, I will make the decision then to either disarm (probably not likely) or to not enter.

That's just me

You are absolutely right in your comments ...IF... IF... they knew I was carrying.
I don't tell anybody I'm carrying, for me, that's the idea of Concealed carry!

SO... do you know when, where and who?? NO!

Personally I will carry everywhere legal in my state or that I am legal to carry in another state AND tell no one. Should I be questioned, I will answer with honesty, state my position and, should they ask I not carry my weapon for my own protection, I will make the decision then to either disarm (probably not likely) or to not enter.

That's just me

That's not just you, I'm thinking along similar lines as well. As stated earlier if you are concealed right then no one would have reason to question if you were armed. There are different dynamics involved when it comes to close friends as compared to casual acquaintance but one would have to respect either's wishes if the issue was to ever come up in their home. It would just depend on the person, situation and having a mutual respect of each other. Let's just say for example, "I have a friend of a friend" who went to dinner at another friend's house and carried. During dinner the topic of firearms came up and host's spouse blatantly stated that they don't allow firearms in their home. Would you just sit there and continue the meal, have a debate or excuse yourself and leave? I'm just stirring the pot here....

as long as someone is legally able to carry (obtained CHL). then i have no problem with them carrying in my house. And i would expect the same. I fix computers for a living besides cleaning up shooting ranges. when i go to a residence or a business, unless they have it posted no Firearms, i am carrying. I have a deep cover pistol as i know some clients would be upset, but don't ask don't tell. I am a firm believer is people having the ability to defend themselves. No matter where they are. If someone had a posted no weapons, or told me no weapons, i would not enter. I would also explain why.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top