JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's say you load six chambers in a Colt SAA, then decock, leaving the firing pin resting on a primer.

Then, you pull the hammer back, but not far enough to get to the half cock. The cylinder should not rotate. If you release the hammer with the thumb, the hammer should drop the firing pin onto the primer, but the distance is short enough that it will not set off the primer.

What would happen if you performed the above action repeatedly? Would the primer accumulate a large dimple. Would the dimple get large enough to set off the primer?

I'm thinking of how repeated rechambering the same round an AR15 can eventually lead to a round firing from the floating firing pin dimple.

My best guess is no. Changing the mechanics to a press I could see how compressing the primmer might get to a point where compression was sufficient to set off the primer, but I don't think the hammer would be able to compress it that much, and it is likely (assuming exact same release point every time) that the dimple would be close to full depth after the first drop or three.

My best guess is no. Changing the mechanics to a press I could see how compressing the primmer might get to a point where compression was sufficient to set off the primer, but I don't think the hammer would be able to compress it that much, and it is likely (assuming exact same release point every time) that the dimple would be close to full depth after the first drop or three.
Full depth of what?

Why wouldn't it? It does in AR15s.
It stops at some point though, not like if you do it long enough it will pierce the primer.
I do see a problem with testing, you could set up a drop rig with an empty primed case to measure the dimple after each drop but if it did set off the primer the dimple would get flattened out when it went off. Maybe the same rig but with primers soaked in oil to kill them so you could measure the dimple on a couple cases to see if it does keep getting bigger or if it stops at some point. Than you could rerun the test with a live primer doing the number of drops determined from the first test

It stops at some point though, not like if you do it long enough it will pierce the primer.
I do see a problem with testing, you could set up a drop rig with an empty primed case to measure the dimple after each drop but if it did set off the primer the dimple would get flattened out when it went off. Maybe the same rig but with primers soaked in oil to kill them so you could measure the dimple on a couple cases to see if it does keep getting bigger or if it stops at some point. Than you could rerun the test with a live primer doing the number of drops determined from the first test
I'm not asking about piercing the primer, but setting it off.

Because I thought his was the question:

What would happen if you performed the above action repeatedly? Would the primer accumulate a large dimple. Would the dimple get large enough to set off the primer?
Correct. "Set off the primer." Not "pierce the primer."

This fed has me on ignore, how did the thread show in my list? Funny 1 way convo, though!
Quoted outside the quote so it can be seen ;)

This fed has me on ignore, how did the thread show in my list? Funny 1 way convo, though!

That has happened to me!

thumb_that-wasnt-me-that-was-patricia-makeameme-org-that-wasnt-me-51793108.png

Let's say you load six chambers in a Colt SAA, then decock, leaving the firing pin resting on a primer.

Then, you pull the hammer back, but not far enough to get to the half cock. The cylinder should not rotate. If you release the hammer with the thumb, the hammer should drop the firing pin onto the primer, but the distance is short enough that it will not set off the primer.

I'm thinking of how repeated rechambering the same round an AR15 can eventually lead to a round firing from the floating firing pin dimple.
Why would you need to load all six chambers for this test?

Comparing the function of a hammer mounted firing pin and a free floating firing pin with very different operating characteristics? Whatever... Too many variables.

And how are you going to involve the set and crew of Rust in this thread?

Why would you need to load all six chambers for this test?
You wouldn't. It is just a way of explaining that there is definitely going to be a primer under the hammer. Because if you dont address every possible way peiple can misunderstand a simple thought experiment, they will.

Congrats on being the first in the thread to do so anyway.

You wouldn't. It is just a way of explaining that there is definitely going to be a primer under the hammer. Because if you dont address every possible way peiple can misunderstand a simple thought experiment, they will.

Congrats on being the first in the thread to do so anyway.
No problem. I'll let you play with yourself now.
Logic

What would happen if you performed the above action repeatedly?
This guy might know...

Baldwin_that look(2).jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR