JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have noticed that lately Colt has really improved their website and they are even gearing up for the retail parts market. It seems like they are trying to become a little more "civilian" friendly.

I personally think this is a great thing. Add this to the fact that I think they producing some of the best made products in their history right now and I think they are on a winning path.

I agree

colt made a big mistake drifting away and lost a lot of business for example they could have dominated the ar15 market as well as the tactical market

not to mention had they been their for the customers and listened to them they could have been in on new products and developments

Yes, they are trying. I think the web site is barely an up-to-date one and they should do much, much more. But the fact remains that their products right now are really top-notch. Clearly they have addressed the core product before pushing the marketing buttons. That shows competence and a grasp of the fundamentals. "It's the product, stupid!" They are making the best bang-for-the-buck 1911 pattern autos out there right now. I have a 2007 model year commander and it is fantastic right out of the box.

With the problems that Kimber and Springfield just can't seem to fix, I really expect Colt to take back market share over the next few years.

My 2 cents. IMHO Colt needs to cure it's quality and customer service/repair procedures. Long story cut short, finally made deal with Colt to allow a non-Colt armourer repair the firearm as I could not trust them after 4 returns for ejections problems and this was on a replacement pistol and still retain the Colt Lifetime Warranty which at my last checking was still not included in the Colt manual since the change in 1997 but was coming out in the next printing according to a Colt Vice President. The $2000 dollars for testing their firearm and year and a half of emails and voicemails and Colt representatives stating to me that they have disregarded my emails of the issues of my firearms and would never reply to them or future emails, turned me against them after 35 years of owning 95% Colt only products. There arbitrary use of the terms "within specifications" means they don't want to fix it. I know others have been happy with the quality and current service, good for you. Until I see a change I can not buy the Colt Commander I want, or a SAA. Rats.
rhtwist

I'm still waiting on my Colt New Agent in .45ACP , I ordered one back in April but they have yet to ship it, compared to a New Kimber I'm saving about $500 and I expect it to always hold it's value, unlike other 1911 style manufacturers!

It will be nice to see what they are going to come out with

No need to wait, they've been putting out good, quality guns for a few years now. Exciting stuff like the reproductions, the new Combat Elite and Delta Elite, etc. The quality on even the base-model 1911 series is really very, very good. I have a 2007 as already mentioned and it is great.

They have introduced a new "grooved" barrel throat design that has really improved feeding according to those who have used it (I have not). It is on the new Combat Elite, for example and owners are raving about them.

Colt needs to continue to work out their QC problems. They still make a good product, but its not what it used to be. They used to be the top dog. They're not anymore. Smaller shops that can spend more time on each gun are (i.e. Wilson, Ed Brown, etc.). Even amongst the large quantity companies, I think they're at best on par with several others. I think losing some of their M-4 contracts to FN gave them more time to devote to their civilian section.
All that being said, it would be nice to see them go back to full bore civilian production. Start producing some of their double action revolvers again. Even if they started with a snub nose (detective special) and their Python again, it would be very well received. I'm not holding my breath though.

There is no denying that Colt still has some QC/customer service related issues, however I believe they are definitely headed in the right direction. Product quality is much better than it was in the past, and yes they are becoming more civilian friendly. Both great things in my book.

I enjoy my Colts but when they dropped us I dropped them. There are to many fine firearms manufacturers out there to put up with that stuff, and every company has issues of some sort.

I enjoy my Colts but when they dropped us I dropped them.

yep, they can go o7n9sx.jpg themselves.

Yup. Once the deal with the (devil) government ran out and was not renewed, they figured out they needed to find a way to make money so they could feed their families. I'd be more impressed if they had decided to once again make guns for civilians out of a sense of patriotism, instead of just profit.

I thought I'd throw in my 2¢ as a new member of the Colt Defense Testing & Evaluation program. As a writer & TV producer, I was recently invited to test new rifles for the civilian market. First up is the SP901 sometime this week. In my conversations with the marketing staff, I've noticed a concerted effort to present the "new" face of Colt as well as really listening to the comments and suggestions of shooters. Colt will test the bejezus out of any new product before it's released. So look for a lot of updates to existing products at first, like factory color anodizing in FDE, OD, desert MARPAT and Vista Tree camouflage patterns. There's also an effort to re-establish the name in the LEO community by offering reliable weapons that are affordable to smaller communities. New products like the SCW are going to change the game for them.

*I am not employed by Colt's Mfg. Co. I do receive promotional items from them, among many other manufacturers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top