JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So is the Army asking them to go to a gas piston design? I'd be protesting it as well. Don't fix what ain't broke. Introducing more moving parts into an already hard-working machine is just asking for trouble. If the M16 needed a piston Stoner would have incorporated one.

“We are modernizing the entire fleet of M4s to the M4A1 configuration, which includes a heavier barrel, a full automatic trigger assembly and ambidextrous fire controls,” said Col. Scott Armstrong, who runs Project Manager Soldier Weapons.

Right now, the Army has no plans to improve the reliability of the M4 platform’s gas system.

I am sure that Colts manufacturing facilities located in Conn, are expensive to operate, taxed at a high state rate and they may have a high wage level. So it will be hard for them to compete with other manufacturers.

Many of the gun builders have had to get the heck out of that New England area to get their operating costs down to a reasonable level and not have to deal with the constant liberal barrage of gun control schemes that seem to haunt them.

If they don't make the move they will go the way of Winchester. Bankruptcy, dump the Union, leave the state and pop up in Utah or some other gun friendly state.

There is just suck in this story on every possible front.

First the Army, instead if going to either a heavier round (6.8), or longer, interchangeable barrel/upper nad getting away from the 50 YEAR-OLD AR gas block system.

Then you add in Colt's whining, which is less surprising seeing as they been worse than HK for the Civilian market, so they are SCREWED if they lose the military market.

I swear to God If I was in the military today and going to the sandbox I'd buy my own weapon if I could. The M4 has so many issues on so many fronts that are EASILY solvable that I'm amazed at the continued ineptitude of the Army Ordinance Dept.

THE GD BCG ISN'T THE ISSUE, IT'S THE GAS SYSTEM YOU IDIOTS!

More recent guys can call BS on me iof you want. but THAT is the primary issue, IMO. Barrel weight is a terrific improvement. But that's one SMALL part of a much larger problem. -Not to mention the crappy AR Mag-well issues.

Remember folks these are Government contracts so you need to toss logic to the wind, politics are involved and I suspect the Senators and Representatives from Conn are doing a full time war dance to protect Colt's contracts and keep the money coming to Conn.

So like the issue with the chrome lining in the barrels in Viet Nam it may take a long long time for this weapon system to be upgraded.

Wow, so reading this article the final weapon design, an M4A1 with a free float rail, won't be selected until the end of 2014. So it will take 2 years to develop a rifle that has been around for almost 20 years based on a system that has been around for 50. Most of us could build an M4A1 that is more reliable and better for less in probably a week or 2 depending on part shipment times. We could stop destroying Chemical Weapons for just 1 year (roughly 1.5 billion) and outfit most of the military with any of the modern rifle designs. Granted I was just a dumb grunt but, it still makes no sense to me how people who have their head buried in their *** are the ones that get appointed to make decisions that affect lives.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top