JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think lunch meat / cold cuts are disappearing - they've shifted toward less processed stuff, closer to real meat than the 'mechanically seperated' meat slurry formed into tubes or cubes. Big kick for people eating healthier and wanting more natural foods. Grocery stores have ever growing natural / organics sections, along with higher end meats and cheeses.

I don't think lunch meat / cold cuts are disappearing - they've shifted toward less processed stuff, closer to real meat than the 'mechanically seperated' meat slurry formed into tubes or cubes. Big kick for people eating healthier and wanting more natural foods. Grocery stores have ever growing natural / organics sections, along with higher end meats and cheeses.
:eek:

I honestly think it is a trending move towards prepackaged food. we tried to get ham hocks at Fred Meyer in Vancouver. they don't even carry them any more, at least there. if you look almost all of the food isles are prepackages. the baking and spice isles are shrinking. Whats next soylent green LOL

I honestly think it is a trending move towards prepackaged food. we tried to get ham hocks at Fred Meyer in Vancouver. they don't even carry them any more, at least there. if you look almost all of the food isles are prepackages. the baking and spice isles are shrinking. Whats next soylent green LOL

Funny you mention that. I just made a nice batch of ham and lima's a few days ago. Ham hocks have very little meat. If I'm doing a batch of "Ham & Lima's" I want ham hocks. I've made the mistake before. Then had to go back to the store and get some kinda' ham to add to the beans.

Yeah, the only time I found ham shanks at Fred's was some years ago and it was a too big bag and they were frozen. Albertson's and Safeway carry "Cook's" ham hock AND shanks. Winco also has decent, meatier, ham shanks in a sealed vacuum pack, or a larger bag that are previously frozen. I've never tried the larger bag, but the vacuum pack single shank was the perfect size with plenty of meat for a 1# bag of lima's.

After 32 years(professionally)of helping people get something to eat , I can tell you this last decade has seen plenty of changes. Protien is valuable, yet retailers are vilified by the consumer for raising prices. Most manufacturers have decreased their package size, resulting in oddball net weight items. Someone mentioned "roast beef " ,the gold standard. Check the net weight of any roast beef package compared to the ham or Turkey offerings from the same brand. Not difficult to understand that prices are in line from union store to union store (safeway , Freddie's, independents) while being significantly cheaper at the armpit of commerce (Wally's).
Not trying to be a debbie downer, but I don't see any reason for things to magically change for the better on any perishables costs that have steady demand placed by the consumer. On the bright side, Johnson's smokehouse is back up and running! Olympia area favorite should be back in stores in the next few weeks.

We're fortunate in my neck of the woods to have a local meat processor that raises their own beef, they also make salami and franks, other assorted lunch meats. Their jalapeno and cheese smokies are the best. We have a few other small shops that offer smoked meats and cure their own hams and bacon, from local pork farmers. It's like the craft beer, people wanted real beer, not the crap the multi-nationals pour out. Hopefully, the trend will continue and the old fashioned butcher shop will return. If you want healthy food, support your local farmer/producer.

I used to enjoy Bologna and salami sandwich when I was growing up. I still buy Bologna once in a while. Toasting the french bread, brown mustard, and some non-iceberg lettuce like romaine and it is quite tasty. :D

I used to enjoy Bologna and salami sandwich when I was growing up. I still buy Bologna once in a while. Toasting the french bread, brown mustard, and some non-iceberg lettuce like romaine and it is quite tasty. :D
Yes! And if I'm feeling really fancy, a tomato slice or two. Or pickle slices.

This just reminded me, I haven't had Lebanon Bologna in forever. Wonder if they make it anymore. Little known fact: It's named after Lebanon the city in Pennsylvania, not Lebanon the country. And the locals pronounce it LEH-buh-nun.

Whatever happened to thuringer? Anyone have that recently....or ever?
Well Hormel still makes it, but I'm sure you can find better if you look around.

For me.......

Cold Cuts = sliced meats you could buy at a deli
Luncheon Meat = the other meat in a can though not as tasty as SPAM
SPAM = Onolicious meat in a can

I just can't see myself being happy if it were luncheon meat or cold cuts here.
Spam-eggs-and-rice.jpg

Aloha, Mark

We DO like what Winco sells in the deli counter.

Thanks for reminding me about Winco. There is one over by one of our daughter's places. It's been there for ten years but it's been most of that since I've last been. We found quite a number of bargains, including Hawaiian ham and corned beef at the deli counter. Less than half the price of Fred Meyer.

So I guess Winco will go on our list. Without writing it down, we have a list of places we go that have the best XXX at the lowest price. We've got all the time in the world to visit several gro. stores. Fred Meyer, Walmart, Grocery Outlet, Cash & Carry (or whatever their new name is which I can't remember), now Winco.

@gmerkt Not all of the Winco deli meats are, just meat. No, they've got that " Soy Protein" stuff in them. I don't necessarily care, sometimes. The beef based meats such a pastrami, corned, roast is not my favorite. To us, the "Ham off the bone" and "Sun dried tomato turkey breast" ("sun dried turkey" on the label) taste/feel most like the real thing. Of course, YMMV.

"Visiting Grocery Stores" :confused: THIS is what we call entertainment these days. :s0076:

We usually go with the Board head brand of deli meats, the quality is decent for the price, and most ( except the Italian) beef is available in all stores! I'm a Grinder kinda sammich guy, so I really gotta have my Italian Roast Beef, but nobody is carrying it any longer! The only Freddie's that does in Portland, and I would rather lick the barn floor then drive to Portland!
We do have a pretty good supply of locally produced meats down here, and we always try to support them!

One of the smartest things I ever did was to buy my wife a smoker. When she's in the mood she'll make 50 lbs of assorted sausages and meats. We can our own Tuna and she will put a light smoke on it before canning. A couple weeks ago she smoked a ham and then used the bone to make ham n beans in the crock pot. Every time I stop for fast food because I'm on the road and hungry I wonder why I didn't just make a lunch to go.

Amazes me to see every drive-thru lined up, people can't wait to stuff their face with this sorry excuse for food.
I cringe seeing the lines formed at McDonald's around noon time. I haven't eaten there in years and consider doing so an absolute failure moment. Yet, day in and out, lines, 20-50 cars deep, daily!
This +100
Most of those meats the OP mentioned, are barely meat!

Tasty, yes, because the amount of other stuff added. Like fat salt and seasoning.

Like many things that used to be inexpensive and plentiful have become scarce as more have moved away from them. So those that still make them can be counted with one hand and there prices on such things usually tend to go upwards.

There is a deli in south Portland Ottos delicatessen that makes virtually all of these products. Pricey, but tasty!

For me.......

Cold Cuts = sliced meats you could buy at a deli
Luncheon Meat = the other meat in a can though not as tasty as SPAM
SPAM = Onolicious meat in a can

I just can't see myself being happy if it were luncheon meat or cold cuts here.
View attachment 775915

Aloha, Mark

I bought a few cans of Spam they had at Fred Meyer. These were the kind of Spam that they had when I went shopping there:

2639649B-4FFC-4022-842C-B75756FD8653.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads