JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Cold cuts - or "lunch meat" as my mother called them, not as many varieties as yesteryear. For a long time, I've bought Oscar Mayer brand. Which I believe is no longer an independent firm; now owned by Kraft. I remember when most gro. stores carried a dozen or fifteen different styles of packaged Oscar Mayer cold cuts. First in my experience to disappear was jellied corned beef, one of my favorites. Then it was liverwurst with the little band of tasty fat around the edge. OM made separate olive loaf and pickle loaf. The first of those to go was the olive. After that, maybe two years ago, the pickle loaf vanished. So now you go into a major store, there may be four or five varieties. Bologna, ham, maybe cotto salami, maybe ham loaf, maybe ham loaf with cheese.

I haven't seen OM brand head cheese in a while but I don't miss that one. Jellied pig's eyelids, I called it.

I've been trying to think of the reasons for these disappearances. Of course consumer preference is the driver, but I was trying to get into that background. For one, until the Covid virus thing anyway, more people were buying their lunch out instead of packing their own. Here I mean mostly fast food. Then some of the traditional products have been outsold by packaged "deli meats," that is, products thinly sliced in different style containers and of a moderately healthier nature in terms of fat content. But no more varietal, just ham, chicken, and turkey. Then there is the ethnic thing. Not so many Germans in Milwaukee to buy liverwurst anymore and Hispanics are not substitute buyers. As an example.

I see the same situation with other major US brands of pre-packaged cold cuts. BUT: If you go to the deli case in some place like Fred Meyer, they have Boar's Head brand and some Kroger house brands that they will slice off for you by the pound. Quite a bit of variety. Today, I sprung for some Boar's Head olive loaf, but it's almost half olives, a bit too salty and olivey for my taste. OM was just the right ratio of olives/pickle relish to meat. IMO.

Wifey and I used to get the olive loaf for sandwiches on occasion. Just for something different. We called it "Funch Meat". We'd laugh as we at it because it was so bad compared to left-over, real, sliced sandwich meat....Roast beef, pork, chicken, etc. Any of that, so-called, "Deli Sliced" pre packaged stuff, with a date 2 months out, is terrible compared to what you got 30 years ago.

We don't buy Fred Meyer overprices sliced meats. Or SafeBertson's for that matter. $8.00-$9.00/lb for sliced ham or turkey is ridiculous in my book. We DO like what Winco sells in the deli counter. Particularly the "Ham off the bone" and "Sundried tomato turkey breast" Those two are a cut above everything at only $5.00-$6.00/lb.

I've been a sandwich guy all my life.

I think Americans have gotten so lazy that they don't even make their own lunches anymore and just go to fast food places.

Make mine a liver sausage, horseradish, and onion on rye!

I think Americans have gotten so lazy that they don't even make their own lunches anymore and just go to fast food places.

I do love some Braunschweiger from time to time. We've got Gartner's Meats bout 20 block from us. The make theirs in house. It's not the same as the Oscar Mayer on the store shelves.

Amazes me to see every drive-thru lined up, people can't wait to stuff their face with this sorry excuse for food.

Meh..

Just brought home some Kabanosy, Krakowska kielbasa, and some Poledwica... You know, old country food, from George's Deli in Seattle.

What is this Oscar Mayer stuff you're going on about?

Cold cuts - or "lunch meat" as my mother called them, not as many varieties as yesteryear. For a long time, I've bought Oscar Mayer brand. Which I believe is no longer an independent firm; now owned by Kraft. I remember when most gro. stores carried a dozen or fifteen different styles of packaged Oscar Mayer cold cuts. First in my experience to disappear was jellied corned beef, one of my favorites. Then it was liverwurst with the little band of tasty fat around the edge. OM made separate olive loaf and pickle loaf. The first of those to go was the olive. After that, maybe two years ago, the pickle loaf vanished. So now you go into a major store, there may be four or five varieties. Bologna, ham, maybe cotto salami, maybe ham loaf, maybe ham loaf with cheese.

I haven't seen OM brand head cheese in a while but I don't miss that one. Jellied pig's eyelids, I called it.

I've been trying to think of the reasons for these disappearances. Of course consumer preference is the driver, but I was trying to get into that background. For one, until the Covid virus thing anyway, more people were buying their lunch out instead of packing their own. Here I mean mostly fast food. Then some of the traditional products have been outsold by packaged "deli meats," that is, products thinly sliced in different style containers and of a moderately healthier nature in terms of fat content. But no more varietal, just ham, chicken, and turkey. Then there is the ethnic thing. Not so many Germans in Milwaukee to buy liverwurst anymore and Hispanics are not substitute buyers. As an example.

I see the same situation with other major US brands of pre-packaged cold cuts. BUT: If you go to the deli case in some place like Fred Meyer, they have Boar's Head brand and some Kroger house brands that they will slice off for you by the pound. Quite a bit of variety. Today, I sprung for some Boar's Head olive loaf, but it's almost half olives, a bit too salty and olivey for my taste. OM was just the right ratio of olives/pickle relish to meat. IMO.

No, I don't think so, although i have not really looked. Their meats and cheeses are more Polish than Russian. They get a bunch of their stuff from Chicago. There is a larger Ukrainian store in Federal Way I stop by once in a while and if anywhere, that place may have it.

Do they have a decent Doktorskaya kolbasa?

What is this Oscar Mayer stuff you're going on about?

One of the major brands in typical gro. stores, or was at one time, anyway. It isn't top end, old country fare. But a notch or two above Bar S and some of the other brands.

We don't buy Fred Meyer overprices sliced meats. Or SafeBertson's for that matter. $8.00-$9.00/lb for sliced ham or turkey is ridiculous in my book.

Agreed. That's why I don't often do it. Grocery Outlet is more my speed for price. They often have Oscar Mayer at about half the price of regular gro. stores. Watch the "use by" dates.

I''ll leave the brand name out so I won't get sued. But my sister used to work as an accountant at a major brand packing company. They are pretty famous; they make hot dogs sold in a MLB stadium. In addition to their own products, they did custom packing work. Including kosher. For which the company had to pay a fee to a rabbi for inspecting and blessing the product and placing his stamp on it. One of the owners of this company was so cheap that he'd sneak down into the production area, break into the box containing the rabbi's kosher stamp and mark the carcasses himself. To beat the rabbi out of his fee.

Here's one I'd forgotten about. Wilson Certified Meats. They were pretty famous at one time, had a number of packing plants in several states in the mid-west. They used to advertise heavily on TV when I was a kid. Bacon, hams, many different varieties of pork and beef products, even canned tamales.

Of course most people have heard of Wilson sporting goods products, like baseball gloves, etc. At one time, this was part of Wilson & Co., the meat packers. Get the connection? Hides for making leather goods came from the packing plants.

The packing industry is completed changed now. Union packers were driven out of the plants by industry, to be replaced by lower priced labor. Lots of immigrants in the plants.

Subway stopped selling roast beef so no more subway club sandwiches.

I believe this was foretold in revelations as the beginning of the end.

Well, a Club Sandwich is turkey, ham and bacon, so there's that. And "Thanks Giving" is less than three weeks away.

Yes, I really miss that nuclear waste disguised as bologna and salami slices.
Don't forget Oscar Meyer wieners. Didn't need a fridge light with those quivering
tubes of coagulated random meat parts in there glowing their little hearts out..

Yes, I really miss that nuclear waste disguised as bologna and salami slices.
Don't forget Oscar Meyer wieners. Didn't need a fridge light with those quivering
tubes of coagulated random meat parts in there glowing their little hearts out..

Yeah, I shy away from products who's ingredients list starts with "Mechanically Separated" anything. Although ALL mass produced hot dogs from the grocers shelves, with pull dates in the range of 6 months out are questionable, Oscar Meyer's are one that I do actually like. Now those Ball Park dogs? Nothing meat product should "Plump" when you cook it, it should shrivel like it's supposed to. and nasty, is those "Meat' hot dogs that come in a pack of 20-30, what ever, for like $5.00. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews