JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, so it appears that I have become the official "gun nut" in the office. Anytime someone has a question regarding firearms they are directed to me. I love guns and do have a small collection, but by no means do I consider myself an expert of any kind. Anyway, we recently hired a new female to man Memphis, TN and when she told some of my co-workers that she had a carry license, but did not yet own a firearm they all told her to talk to me.

She wanted a home defense firearm that she could occasionally take with her in the car locked in a safe, though she never really thought she would take it out of the home. The real limiting factor was that when she took her class for concealed carry, she rented a revolver while her friends all rented Glocks. All of her friends guns jammed repeatedly while hers fired everytime. Quick aside, I am a firm XDm guy and as such bash Glocks at every opportunity, but in this case I really did try to convince her that this was a once in a lifetime event and that Glocks are beyond reliable, just ugly as sin:s0114:. The thing is that now, in her head, every semi-auto is a Glock. No convincing her otherwise. So the only thing she trusts is a revolver.

Her budget was between 450-600. My suggestion was a Ruger GP100 .357 mag with a 4-6 inch barrel. I figured she could practice with .38's and load it with the big load at home. I suggested this for three reasons. She will probably never carry the thing outside the home, the extra weight on the barrel might reduce recoil, and the option to practice with a much lighter/cheaper load would make her practice more to become proficient with her firearm.

I was curious to see if some of you had other suggestions that you feel would work for her needs. No hurt feelings at all if you disagree with my suggestion, I just want her to have the best firearm for what she needs and was curious to see what some others might suggest.

I'd ask her to reconsider semi autos. She might be better off with a revolver but she should not eliminate an option because she took a class with a bunch of newbies who don't know how to handle Glocks. I have several and personally I find them sexy,lol. And they never jam.
If she can do it, it would be a good idea for her to rent a couple of guns and see what works best for her.

If she gets a revolver makes sure she doesn't get one of those little belly guns that weigh next to nothing. They absolutely are hand killers when you fire them.

A 357 is going to be really loud indoors. 9mm is a loud pop in comparison. I mean this literally. The 9 will leave you still hearing fairly well immediately afterward, where the 357 will give you that "underwater" hearing for several minutes. A 38 defensive round might be a better choice for home defense - much lower pressure - but I have no experience with it without hearing protection. Also a used SP 101 would fit her budget well. Replace that awful stock grip with a Houge grip and it will look beautiful and feel great.

A 357 is going to be really loud indoors. 9mm is a loud pop in comparison. I mean this literally. The 9 will leave you still hearing fairly well immediately afterward, where the 357 will give you that "underwater" hearing for several minutes. A 38 defensive round might be a better choice for home defense - much lower pressure - but I have no experience with it without hearing protection. Also a used SP 101 would fit her budget well. Replace that awful stock grip with a Houge grip and it will look beautiful and feel great.

the load difference between a .38 and 9mm is negligible at best, and a .357 is hardly louder. my 9mm leaves me feeling deaf at an outdoor range if i forget my ears. telling someone new to firearms that it is easier on the ears will only confuse them when they try.

Sounds like she already has her mind made up. See if she'll go to a gun show and handle all the guns to see if one speaks to her. Her mind may change. I would stress that its her choice and to get what she feels comfortable with.

Bersa Thunder .380 (right around $329) or the Bersa Ultra Compact Pro 9mm (right around $400). Both guns are fantastic to shoot, reliable, look good and great pricing.

Since I'm revolver biased, I think your advice was spot on. Some women have dificulty racking along with the strength and dexterity combination to tear it down for proper cleaning. Since she already has a focus, I'd encourage it that way. Direct her away and at some point she may distrust the gun, and herself and you . Presonally, I would also have her look at the SP101 with rubber laser grips, it has enough weight to assist in shock absorbshion and will fit medium to small hands.
And to support your thoughts on the dual caliber; in this time of ammo seeking difficulty having two calibers will increase your odds if finding something.
And now, risking flack from semi auto fans, I've never had a revolver be ammo brand specific, nor jam, NEVER!

If she's set on a revolver, maybe she can check out the Ruger SP101, in 2" or 3", .357 mag. Heavy enough to absorb recoil, but not as big and bulky as a GP100 (which is also a great gun). Different grips on the SP101 make a difference. Hogue monogrips - ugly but make shooting anything easy. No need to shoot .357's , unless that floats your boat.

Go out with her to a good shooting spot. Have a revolver and a semi-auto. Make her practice speed loading each one. I personally don't recommend revolvers to smaller people due to the higher trigger pull effort needed in many cases. Sure, under adrenal boost you'll have the strength, but untill that point you'll need confidence and ability to practice effectively to boost that confidence.

Charter Arms makes The Undercover in .38 +P with a 2" barrel Loaded with light to med 125gr loads mine will shoot a 2-2.5" group at 10 yards with little recoil. Loaded with rip snorting +P HP's in the 147-158gr range kicks pretty good and is lucky to make a 4" group at 10yds.

Charter also has the Pitbull in .40SW that's a nice up power load but again getting into heavy recoil.

Charter also has 4" barrel versions of the Undercover which if on the body concealment is not a concern then they make and excellent SD revolver.

And of course the Classic Charter Arms BULLDOG PUG in .44spl. with a cowboy load my son when he was five could handle the recoil. So its no trouble for an adult women and the .44spl rates very high in the FBI one shot ratings. With a 240gr HP at 800-900 fps they tend to give it all into the middle of a target.

Actually, it was the SP101 that I recommended not the gp100, got them mixed up (I'm not a revolver guy). As for the semi-auto, it is a flat out no go. She is just convinced that they jam, and no matter how many thousands of rounds she shoots through one she has seen it happen and knows that it can, and therefor refuses to trust her life on one.

One thing that occurs to me is, what does one have to do to a Glock to make it jam like that? I don't like them, but one thing you can never rag on them for is reliability. I mean they must've had worn out springs and been super dirty using crap ammo and ........I just can't imagine what it would take and why a place would put a gun like that into someone's hands.

I gave my wife a 1950's S&W Chiefs Special.
Added Pachmayr Decelerator rubber grips and loaded it up with Hornady Critical Defense ammo.
The Pachmayr's help with the recoil and it is compact enough to fit her purse.

The reason I suggested the longer barrel was that she didn't see herself carrying it, mostly just wanted it for home defense. Figured the extra weight would reduce recoil and the length would help accuracy and add power.

Hmm. This is a tough one. Ive talked to folks who have a stern belief in their ideal firearm or "tactics" who have had lite to no experience yet nothing can change their opinion or preference on the matter. Ive got a boss (at my early AM job) who thought the legal length of a shotgun barrel was the same as a rifle and cut it to 16" and i told him he's now technically in possession of a short barrel shotgun and the BATF doesn't joke around with that: he stated: "if anything ever happens ill just swap the barrels after".. So my words went unheeded.. Though possession of such a barrel is still intent in court cases. Also, folks who side with Biden and think all one needs is a shotgun for HD and that rifles and semi auto pistols are a waste of time because "why does someone need that many rounds anyway?" Then of course theres rhe whole caliber debate as well as AK versus AR argument.. Yet opinions never change until they can see first hand..I.E. take her out shooting and show her that her friends either had/did the following with their "rental glocks": Bad ammo, bad mags, warn internals, OR limp wristing.. Of which I've noticed most new female (and some male) shooters do. Also id take her through the dynamics of lbs of trigger pull of some revolvers versus semi autos, da/sa revolvers versus hammerless revolvers (essentially making the pull greater) compact versus full sized (this comes into play when ccing. A house firearm is no good if left in the house while one might need it most outside of the home/car. Also talk to her about some of the hammer fired decocker semi auto pistols. My woman really likes the design of the ruger p89 and 92fs because a round can be in the chamber, safely decocked and still be left ready to go either as a sa(pulling the hammer back then firing) or a da (where she can just pull the trigger if need be) my woman found it to "feel" much safer. I too have acquired a fondness for decocker models of semi auto pistols. But I do enjoy revolvers.

I think all in all id have her take another range trip and have her seriously look at the scenarios in which she sees herself in. Again, a firearm is of no use if its inaccessible or left at home. Thats why i have a loaded firearm next to me constantly.

The reason I suggested the longer barrel was that she didn't see herself carrying it, mostly just wanted it for home defense. Figured the extra weight would reduce recoil and the length would help accuracy and add power.

I felt the same way when I was trying to determine what's best for my wife.
She, on the other hand, gravitated to the Chief Special as soon as it was in her hand,
There is something about them that just feels right and she has stated that if she had to use it, she would probably not feel any recoil and accurate marksmanship would be moot, because it would be used in the confines of our bedroom / bathroom behind a locked door.

One thing that occurs to me is, what does one have to do to a Glock to make it jam like that? I don't like them, but one thing you can never rag on them for is reliability. I mean they must've had worn out springs and been super dirty using crap ammo and ........I just can't imagine what it would take and why a place would put a gun like that into someone's hands.

Failure for any semi-automatic pistol to properly cycle can be traced back to bad ammo, bad mags, or more likely poor or improper shooting fundamentals: grip and/or platform. If this experience was in a formal class the fault lies with the instructor for not addressing and correcting a firing grip that's not firm enough or, having unlocked wrists or arms.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top