JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally found a club that will allow you to practice from the holster, use unlimited rounds in your magazine and allow fast fire.

This is not an ad for a club but got tired of a Range Officer constantly questioning, arguing that there is no need to practice from a holster and counting how fast I shoot rounds and my techniques (Drawing from the holster and fast repetitive shooting). REALLY????????

Albany Rifle and Pistol Club has separate bays and allow all types of defensive training techniques.

I like the Albany Club. DRRC hasn't been an issue either. The shotgun bay at DRRC allows the drawing from the holster on pistols, and it is only about 45 minutes from the house.

Old Codgers with single shot rifles shouldn't be dictating range policy or arguing about presentation from the holster or how many rounds you shoot or how quickly they exit the gun. It is impossible to practice the essentials of self defense (like rapid shooting or drawing from the holster) without being allowed to make the motions.

So my usual answer to the party poopers is "you shoot your way, and I will shoot mine..."

As someone who teaches gunfighting, and some of the essential movements that go with it for compensation; Tri-County is out because they don't allow anyone to make money from teaching to use or rent their ranges; regardless of your skill level.

But when I am in Albany visiting friends, we always take time to get out to the Albany Club for some ballistic fun.

As someone who teaches gunfighting, and some of the essential movements that go with it for compensation; Tri-County is out because they don't allow anyone to make money from teaching to use or rent their ranges; regardless of your skill level.

Correct, but that wasn't what he was asking. I don't think it's too unusual for ranges to do that.
I know the other two ranges I belong to don't allow it either. maybe a liability issue?

I like the Albany Club. DRRC hasn't been an issue either. The shotgun bay at DRRC allows the drawing from the holster on pistols, and it is only about 45 minutes from the house.

Old Codgers with single shot rifles shouldn't be dictating range policy or arguing about presentation from the holster or how many rounds you shoot or how quickly they exit the gun. It is impossible to practice the essentials of self defense (like rapid shooting or drawing from the holster) without being allowed to make the motions.

So my usual answer to the party poopers is "you shoot your way, and I will shoot mine..."

But when I am in Albany visiting friends, we always take time to get out to the Albany Club for some ballistic fun.

I like that I can practice drawing from a holster at DRRC too. It's hard to take defensive handgun classes, then not be allowed to practice and hone the skill you learned at the class. As I recall, you can also draw from a holster on the dynamic range, since the shooting line doesn't have a concrete pad.

As to ranges not allowing draw from a holster, I suspect it's not as much about 'old codgers' as much as it is about liability. Shooting is obviously a dangerous and potentially deadly enterprise, especially if not taken seriously. I'm sure the threat of a lawsuit from a family over a ND or misfire, etc. due to someone having a failure with a live round on a draw, is something they have to seriously consider. While they carry insurance, a big lawsuit could be enough to shut some of these ranges down. And with that in mind, I'm surprised that there are ranges that do still allow it. I'm glad DRRC does, and I hope they continue to do so, as I think having the ability to practice draw and shoot is very important to anyone that carries for defensive use.

We have a private firearms club with 3 ranges here; 100yd, 200yd, and pistol bays. $50/yr. None of those ranges have ROs unless there is an event. We live with firearms from a young age out here. Once signed up, and waiver is signed, we are expected to act like responsible adults. Allowed to carry hot on the pistol range, and practice SD, shooting metal, etc. And I have never witnessed any unsafe behavior.

Yep, it's different out here in the wild, wild east. ;)

We have a private firearms club with 3 ranges here; 100yd, 200yd, and pistol bays. $50/yr. None of those ranges have ROs unless there is an event. We live with firearms from a young age out here. Once signed up, and waiver is signed, we are expected to act like responsible adults. Allowed to carry hot on the pistol range, and practice SD, shooting metal, etc. And I have never witnessed any unsafe behavior.

Yep, it's different out here in the wild, wild east. ;)

One of the best reasons to live out west....

And yet people walk around you every day carrying hot. And our ranges have had no accidents. EVER!!!
So yeah, just stay where you are and act all important.

If you disagree with our practices, fine. You are entitled to that opinion. But your comment was completely uncalled for! Jerk!!!

Last Edited:
Or maybe being non profit entity? :s0092:

501 (c)(7) non profits can not rent or allow outside organizations to use their property and maintain the non profit status. Some exceptions are made for LEO and military as a public service. They can contract with individuals or organizations to give classes or training for members and members guests.

501 (c)(4)'s have different rules but must be open to the general public.

Finally found a club that will allow you to practice from the holster, use unlimited rounds in your magazine and allow fast fire.

This is not an ad for a club but got tired of a Range Officer constantly questioning, arguing that there is no need to practice from a holster and counting how fast I shoot rounds and my techniques (Drawing from the holster and fast repetitive shooting). REALLY????????

Albany Rifle and Pistol Club has separate bays and allow all types of defensive training techniques.

Welcome to ARPC.. :)

I am NRA Certified RSO at my local range (not currently a member though), and never heard any caution about shooting from holster draw, or magazine limits. I'd bring my friends and teach them basic safety and skills, just not for money. I even do El Presidente, move and shoot, and whatever challenge my shooting partners and I could come up with to mix it up. Maybe because we have several small pistol bays it hasn't been an issue.

The worst violators of club/range rules are the local P.D. They manage to shoot over the berms, if you can believe that, and have had several members with the experience of rounds zipping by over head. I'm still not sure how that is even possible. They also show up and shoot at any hour of the night, despite the agreement with the city that the range closes by sunset, or 2000 hours. Maybe because they have a dedicated bay they think they're not supposed to follow the regular range rules? Or because they'r LEO's? Would you like to be the RSO that has to go talk to these guys?!

The worst violators of club/range rules are the local P.D.

That's bad. The PD has it's own range here. But we shoot competitions with a lot of the staters and the Sheriff's deputies; they have been real good. The ones we have trouble with is the National Guard... they come out with their rifles and shoot the steel plates at 25yds... goes clean thru! :(:mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top