JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was a fairly active shooter and member of a group of shooters back in Reno. I have had the chance to head west on the 26 to scout for places to shoot (I'm located in Hillsboro). I have found a few spots past the tunnel on the left. I want to say on a logging road. Wish I wrote down the street name, think it stared with a C.

I was only scouting. But I did bring some garbage bags. I was a little sad to see the amount of garbage so I filled two bags at both spots I found.

My question is, does anyone get a clean up organized?

Back in NV we got a group of guys and pickups together, as well as waste management to donate some big dumpsters, and we cleaned the local areas 2 times a year.

Curious if this is something that takes place up here?

It's also a great way to meet fellow members!

Im fairly new to the gun community, i usually pick up on my own. But i would be more than glad to join others. I think it would be great to meet new people and help clean up local spots. So count me in on this.

I've always thought about doing this up at my local shooting spot. I shoot up on Crooked Finger above Scotts Mills and it's always a huge mess. I'd be more than happy to get some guys/gals together and clean the place up a bit.

I tried to get a little group going on Facebook, but very few interested people. After New Years, I picked and hauled 4 slob shooters TV's, along with a lot of other trash. Idiots get a new tv for Christmas and drag the old one out to the woods to blow up. I always clean up my shooting spots, mainly to keep them open. Have also been considering cleaning up the spots I don't shoot at,,,

I tried to get a little group going on Facebook, but very few interested people. After New Years, I picked and hauled 4 slob shooters TV's, along with a lot of other trash. Idiots get a new tv for Christmas and drag the old one out to the woods to blow up. I always clean up my shooting spots, mainly to keep them open. Have also been considering cleaning up the spots I don't shoot at,,,

We had that battle too down in Reno. It took a while but finally we got a member involved that had ties with waste management. Then the 3rd year we even made the local news. Made gun owners look good for once.

One thing I've noticed with this site is it is too big. IE Oregon and Washington all in one forum. I am finding it hard to get just figuring out where folks are from. I can't imagine getting a bunch of folks from one area to get together and go cleaning.

With that being said I'm always up for a challenge.

Any members know of any one involved in the local waste managements? That would be a good start. Then from there we just need bodies and a few trucks. One dumpster located somewhere centrally on the 26 like the rest station, would be enough for that area. Then 8-10 or more guys and gals and a few pickups on a good Saturday is all it takes.

Getting a dumpster is a good idea, and is probably the easy part. Getting a bunch of people willing to spend the day getting their hands dirty, not so easy,,,;)

I think we should set up a time one month in advance and meet up at some location and we can all drive up to a shooting spot. Clean up and than show off some guns and shoot afterwards.

I'm not too sure about highway 6. But I took another scouting trip yesterday. As well as put a few rounds down range at on spot on the 26. Again, a lot of what I saw was trashed. I believe the rest stop just past the tunnel would be a good middle ground for a clean up on the 26. I'm not going to say this will happen quickly. Still getting myself situated from my move, but I'm going to reach out to the forest services and see what they might be able to contribute. Then the local waste management. If we can get a dumpster free of charge that's half the battle. From there organizing some Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro folk to attend should be pretty easy. Maybe some time in March. Possibly April we can make a run for it.

I am glad to see there is a good amount of interest already!

I think talking with the ODF about having some periodic "clean-up" days might be a useful show of good faith and might create some peer pressure. I'm fairly sure there are a half dozen of us who would show up with pickup trucks if the agency would help with some of the logistics...where to dump the trash, maybe push some boulders out of the way to make driving into the pit easier.

I made this suggestion in a thread titled "Brown's Camp Reopened" about a month ago. The ODF is the agency you will want to contact as all the public ground off of both 6 and 26 is either Tillamook or Clatsop State Forest land. There is a suggestion near the end of the thread about looking into getting funds through a grant program. Pittman-Robertson money? I'm unfamiliar. I believe that Randy Peterson is the Recreation Manager for the District.

Let me know if I can help. I'll be there for cleanups for sure.

I made this suggestion in a thread titled "Brown's Camp Reopened" about a month ago. The ODF is the agency you will want to contact as all the public ground off of both 6 and 26 is either Tillamook or Clatsop State Forest land. There is a suggestion near the end of the thread about looking into getting funds through a grant program. Pittman-Robertson money? I'm unfamiliar. I believe that Randy Peterson is the Recreation Manager for the District.

Let me know if I can help. I'll be there for cleanups for sure.

Back on NV we never really needed much money. The waste management company was "semi" pro gun and gladly donated the bins at certain locations for the cleanups. It was the waste management that pushed us to try and get the news involved.

I'll have to see how willing the Forrest services are as far as putting in money to clean up the Forrest. Usually they get all giggity when someone offers to clean something for free if they provide the resources. Not too sure about organizations up here in OR bring "any sort of semi" pro gun...?

Hi all we cleaned up memelose last year we just posted it set a date about 8 to 10 shooters showed up one brought a trailer we all pitched in ten bucks he went to the dumps. It was fun we hauled out 32 bags this was stuff that wouldn't burn we had a fire going for the stuff that would burn. When we were done we shot. Some one had suggested we talk to the boy scouts they are always looking for projects to earn badges any body with a boy scout out their?
Any ways if set a date pm me and I am their can bring bags and at least 3 to help.
Thanks glass

I'd be willing to use my truck and small trailer to help clean up an area between woodburn and salem, like cooked finger. I could talk to an old family friend who works for the trash company about getting a dumpster if enough people got together to help.

I'll mobilize something shortly. I met a guy that works with waste management today when visiting Willamette Valley Arms. Got some contact info into getting a clean up organized. Probably another month or two before this will work itself into existence. Hopefully we can get something worked out on a biannual term or something.

I still haven't gotten in touch with the Forrest services. I plan to shortly. Still got a bunch of personal stuff to do too. I appreciate all those here willing to help. Keep a look at on this thread. I'll keep it updated as things progress. It will be good to get the forums members and the gun owners image out there with a responsible image.

I think its awesome that your are doing this on your own prior to getting involved with others. Leadership is a born trait and could be passed down.

I do this on my own also, I find trash in places most do not look or go to shoot at and seeing the trash out there bothers me, so instead of gripping about it, I do something positive.

Sorry guys. Been a while since I've been out to shoot. We bought a house and are in the process of moving. Once that is settled, I'm going to see if I can't get something organized. I'm also working with a few folks at the new sportsmans warehouse to see if they would help with something like this.

Primarily Washington Tillamook counties. Basically the know shooting areas in Tillamook state Forest.

Reno,

Somehow I missed this thread till now. Let's organize a Clean up-n-Shoot party! Shoot me a Google map that shows the spot. (Well, don't really shoot me, just send it to me!) We'll want to track down the proper authority who manages that land and team with them on this project. It's important that we work with them because of a few benefits that comes with it. Such as, garbage disposal, insurance and other volunteer incentives.

Have you made any headway on this? Let me know what you need and I'll be glad to help put this together.

Bill

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads