JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
New info - Sheriff's investigation is complete - finds no evidence connecting woman's injuries to Clark Rifles:

<broken link removed>

The news report doesn't say specifically, but hopefully the Sheriff's report will become available AND WE CAN SEE FOR OURSELVES IF it contains any specific mention of a doctor having determined that the injury was firearm-related.

We already knew that the Sheriff would find no criminal action here... but what really needs to be determined is if a qualified physician has gone on record to say unequivocally that the injury was caused by a firearm projectile.

Until that is determined, there is no story here - but I'm sure the press will continue publishing hearsay, conjecture (and potential slander) as it has done for the last two weeks... And unless this is determined, then the only reasonable conclusion one can come to is that this lady was lying.

-Thirtycal

Last Edited:
New info - Sheriff's investigation is complete - finds no evidence connecting woman's injuries to Clark Rifles:

<broken link removed>

The news report doesn't say specifically, but hopefully the actual report will become available AND WE CAN SEE FOR OURSELVES IF it contains any specific mention of a doctor having determined that the injury was firearm-related.

We already knew that the Sheriff would find no criminal action here... but what really needs to be determined is if a qualified physician has gone on record to say unequivocally that the injury was caused by a firearm projectile.

Until that is determined, there is no story here - but I'm sure the press will continue publishing hearsay, conjecture (and potential slander) as it has done for the last two weeks.

-Thirtycal

I don't think anyone on this forum will be surprised to hear that she wasn't actually hit by a bullet. But then, pretty much anyone with a 1/2 ounce of sense would have known that. I hope they stay on top of this story.

I doubt you will get the media to run the truth. They want to vilify guns too much.
Its why 98.9% of the media is full of horsepucky, 99.9% of the time.
It will stay a second fiddle story now.

I still bet her kid hit her with a rake LOL

Quote "Investigators entered three shell casings into evidence but could not find the object that hit Sperling, the sheriff's office said."

Maybe they should have looked for a tree limb laying on the ground......

This is just a bunch of CRAP!

Just how would they have shell casings from the supposed round which was shot from a mile away? What the hell?

1. The Range isn't anywhere near a mile away. Closer to 400 yards.

2. Protocol at the range is for everyone on the property to be signed in. It would be pretty easy for the Sheriff to get representative cartridge casings from the members on site at the time of the reported incident.

3. This happened on a Monday afternoon. Clark Rifles was open to members and guests of members only. Probably weren't a lot of folks shooting, Mondays tend to be pretty slow.

4. I still don't understand how someone could get a bullet moving faster than the speed of sound to loft over the berm and barrier wall to drop down and hit someone below the wall.

10 rounds of 22LR to the first one who uploads a copy of the investigation report.

This would appear to be the text of the investigation, published by Clark Co. Sheriff's Office

"This investigation was initiated following a reported gunshot wound victim incident at 14:36 Hrs on Monday, January 26th, 2015. An adult female while standing on her property which abuts the Clark Rifles shooting range was reported to have sustained a gunshot wound to her scalp. She was transported to Peace Health SW Wash hospital, treated and released. The injured woman believed her wound was caused by an errant bullet round fired from Clark Rifles. Clark Rifles is a privately owned shooting range.
An extensive investigation was conducted by Clark County Sheriff's Office detectives with the Major Crimes Unit. Persons present at the range at the time of the reported injury were interviewed along with statements from the injured woman, her family and management of Clark Rifles. In all, sixteen individuals associated with Clark Rifles were interviewed concerning this investigation and three shell casings (not bullets) were recovered from the range at Clark Rifles and entered into CCSO evidence. The projectile causing the injury was not located or recovered. No firearms were seized and no one has been charged or referred for prosecution resulting from this investigation. (See case S15-1056 available through PDR request)
Investigation Findings:
The injury was most likely caused by a projectile of which the origin and direction of travel cannot be determined. However, given the proximity of Clark Rifles range to the injured person's property, an errant projectile from the range cannot be excluded as a possibility. Investigators are unable to make any determination that the injuries were the result of criminal intent, recklessness or negligence at this time. Since there is no evidence of criminal activity this investigation is suspended."

-Thirtycal

Here's the only thing I can find concerning Public Disclosure Requests (PDR) for police reports:

Police Reports
Police Reports from the Vancouver Police Department are NOT held by the City. They are processed and filed by the Clark County Sheriff's Office. To request a police report, you must call (360) 397-2211 during regular business hours.

Sounds like we need to call the Sheriff's office tomorrow and request a copy of Case # S15-1056 to get all details. The text above looks more like a summary.

-Thirtycal

So far it looks like the people claiming it was an Owl attack have at least as much evidence as the Sperlings... o_O

Here are a few links that might seem to apply:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...eded-hospital-treatment-after-owl-attack.html

<broken link removed>

http://news.stv.tv/east-central/187087-tourist-injured-after-borders-buzzard-swoops/

Barred Owl comments: http://listverse.com/2013/01/03/top-10-birds-most-likely-to-kill-you/

http://www.kplu.org/post/owls-attack-people-being-swooped-seattle-area-parks

Until we hear proof that it was really a bullet, if I was on a jury, the "Bird of Prey" potential is just as high or higher on the likely list as any...

Early on when I heard mention of owls as an explanation for the woman's injury, I didn't pay much attention. But the more I read, the more I believe that could be the case. Here's a quote from one of those articles above:

Hikers in the Pacific Northwest pay a price for walking in forests colonized by Barred Owls. Victims do not hear the owl coming, as specialized feathers muffle the owl's swooping flight. The birds target the head with their razor sharp talons – clawing, pecking and squeezing. Bloody head injuries can result.

Sure does seem to fit the evidence!

-Thirtycal

Humph. Here's a good example - injury from a seagull attack:

o-WALES-NEWS-SERVICE-570.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...bloodied-hocked-seagull-attack_n_5595531.html

Wow that wound looks way more like a 'bullet graze' than the wound on the woman at the center of this controversy.

-Thirtycal

1. The Range isn't anywhere near a mile away. Closer to 400 yards.

2. Protocol at the range is for everyone on the property to be signed in. It would be pretty easy for the Sheriff to get representative cartridge casings from the members on site at the time of the reported incident.

3. This happened on a Monday afternoon. Clark Rifles was open to members and guests of members only. Probably weren't a lot of folks shooting, Mondays tend to be pretty slow.

4. I still don't understand how someone could get a bullet moving faster than the speed of sound to loft over the berm and barrier wall to drop down and hit someone below the wall.

Darn it all, there I go exaggerating again and getting myself in trouble.
To your point, do they clean up all the brass every day? Is it dumped in the brass bucket, like at most ranges? It still seems like a snowball chance in hell they would find the supposed brass from the supposed bullet. But anyway.

I do appreciate the corrections though. :)

I spoke with Neal from KATU this morning.

We spoke for about 5 minutes,

I referred him to this site, this thread.

He said he would review it.

I emphasized the fact that this woman completely fabricated this report, and caused a LOT of time/effort/taxpayers money to be spent because of her completely false accusations.

I stated that there should be a follow up report, in some detail, about this whole incident. THAT, in my opinion, would lend a LOT of credibility to KATU TV with the viewers.

We spoke about other subjects, tied to this incident.

Who knows what will happen.

I Know I learned a LOT (actually was reminded and reinforced) about the batching on line (and elsewhere), and the lack of REAL involvement by those who Batch.

I don't BATCH abut something unless I am willing to do something about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I DO..............And I HAVE..............And I WILL..........

I'm disappointed by the "lack of action" by most, but that's reality in today's unrealistic world.
:(:mad::confused::oops::rolleyes:

For those few who took action, I respect you. :s0023: :s0151: :s0155: :s0073: :s0090:

I've requested the full documentation for case #S15-1056 from the Sheriff's admin. The request was forwarded to the Public Disclosure Unit. I'll see if that gets us any medical details.

She was interviewed today and said that the Sheriff's report "makes no sense". Her niece has posted that she's read social media commentary, which means she knows that much of the public is doubting her story.

If she wanted to prove her claim, she'd request the records from her examination at the hospital and make that available to the press - but she hasn't done that.

This is really simple: If that was a through-and-through wound that we saw in the photo, it would have been flushed with sterile solution, and the solution would have traveled through the length of the wound channel, making obvious the nature of this wound. This fact would have been recorded in the medical report.

My guess is that the medical examination showed no evidence of a through-wound, and that's why we haven't seen any mention of the medical report.

It also would have greatly helped if Clark Rifles had presented a spokesman to the press to counter the self appointed "facts" made by this woman. All we saw on the news was her putting on a great act of being most definitely "shot" by a member of the "irresponsible" Clark Rifle club. The news media just ate it up. I saw absolutely no one representing the club in an official capacity giving an interview countering her claims. When you've got someone hell bent, be it fact or fiction, trying to get rid of your range you'd best get someone out front and center to counter that.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top