JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am volunteering to help form a church security team. I am not leading it, just contributing anyway I can. I have joined a Facebook group called "Church Security Teams." I am getting good information from the group members. Nevertheless, I would like to connect with one or two local people, in the West Greater Portland area. This is something I/we want to keep very confidential, hence, I am not providing any specifics on this thread. PM me.

Last Edited:
I am volunteering to help form a church security team. I am not leading it, just contributing anyway I can. I have joined a Facebook group called "Church Security Teams." I am getting good information from the group members. Nevertheless, I would like to connect with one or two local people, in the West Greater Portland area. This is something I/we want to keep very confidential, hence, I am not providing any specifics on this thread. PM me.
Did it for years! Always had two armed, radio equipped, trained and approved folks at each service! Over 1500 attendees each Sunday!

Facebook and confidential don't go together so there's that. yer fired

Wish my church had one. I always carry and know a few others do as well, but it would be nice to have a team out front that consists of more than the mostly elderly greeters.

Taking such a precaution seems wise in this day and age. This year alone, I can think of a terrorist attack on a church, a synagogue, and a mosque. One of them (the synagogue) was in our country.

I don't personally attend a house of worship, but I applaud the effort to protect innocent life. Good luck in your research. :)

Security is best done in layers, and it starts in the parking area. There are many tricks to setting up physical security so that a potential baddie has to work to get close, while the congregation dosnt feel "congregated" entering and exiting. Security also extends beyond the front doors, with ushers and greeters watching and reporting! A live feed video with a few watchers providing additional eyes on can really make security in depth work! Done well, the need for armed men is lessened, but should not be eliminated.
Another trick is a vestibule entry/exit that can be remotely locked, preventing entry, or trapping during an attempt! Obviously bullet resistant glass is needed, but its a small price compared to hardening a larger area.
Finally, a reliable multi platform means of coms both internally with staff, and externally with Authorities is essential, as is an established set of communications and codes, and lots of practice!

@Ura-Ki is spot on. I just listened to a webcast on this last week. Guns should be the last resort. Guns inside the church means you failed and are in damage control mode.

I know one guy in Kalama that runs a church team, and has done some training.

PM me if you want his info.

Security is best done in layers, and it starts in the parking area. There are many tricks to setting up physical security so that a potential baddie has to work to get close, while the congregation dosnt feel "congregated" entering and exiting. Security also extends beyond the front doors, with ushers and greeters watching and reporting! A live feed video with a few watchers providing additional eyes on can really make security in depth work! Done well, the need for armed men is lessened, but should not be eliminated.
Another trick is a vestibule entry/exit that can be remotely locked, preventing entry, or trapping during an attempt! Obviously bullet resistant glass is needed, but its a small price compared to hardening a larger area.
Finally, a reliable multi platform means of coms both internally with staff, and externally with Authorities is essential, as is an established set of communications and codes, and lots of practice!

I think Reverend Tilton could afford that. Might be an undertaking for Brother Menlow's Discount House of the Lord.

Absolutely. A wireless camera accessible to smart phones would be cool. Pretty cheap too.

In my previous life I was a church usher, a deacon and even an elder, that's 20 plus years ago. Back in that day, there were a few of us that carried and had our pastors blessing, he was former Air Force. It was a good sized congregation, several hundred in all. My preferred seat, was just inside the entry, in the sanctuary. Gave me a clear view and clean shot should it devolve to that.

Even today, just as a member of the congregation, I still sit in the rear of the sanctuary, and I still attend armed. It's just what I've found comfortable for me...

I just got the name of a person at church that heads the security team. I was going to volunteer. I already do ushering.
I carry every Sunday anyway.

In these times dang near everyone is hating Christians so it's always a good idea.
My church had a security team, then it went away but after recent events they Thankfully decided to take it up again and be a little more serious.

Facebook and confidential don't go together so there's that. yer fired

Now the Chinese government knows your plans!

I've never done covert armed security at church, but I've done it on flights. Its best to keep the number of people "in-the-know" at a bare minimum.

That's because you don't start smoldering and burst into flames boarding aircraft... ya filthy animal! ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top