JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have my appointment at the sheriff's office this week, and would like to know what to expect. Being new to owning firearms and having a tendency to overthink things, I have a bit of anxiety. I have everything on the checklist, but will I be questioned about anything the application doesn't go over? Appreciate any incite.
Thanks

So I have my appointment at the sheriff's office this week, and would like to know what to expect. Being new to owning firearms and having a tendency to overthink things, I have a bit of anxiety. I have everything on the checklist, but will I be questioned about anything the application doesn't go over? Appreciate any incite.
Thanks
As a lazy person with procrastination problems, a lack of desire to carry and a small anxiety problem, I have yet to take a course or apply for a permit. But I would like to have one to help speed up the FFL process. Let us know how it goes after your appointment.

As a lazy person with procrastination problems, a lack of desire to carry and a small anxiety problem, I have yet to take a course or apply for a permit. But I would like to have one to help speed up the FFL process. Let us know how it goes after your appointment.
You got it! I'll be sure to share on Tuesday!

From my experience in both Multnomah and Clackamas counties, you can expect friendly service. They will take your photo and some fingerprints, and process your paperwork. No Gestapo tactics or fanfare. Easy peasy.

Same in Douglas county. They verify the info with you as they type it in, get your picture, get your prints, take your $, and send you in your way to wait for it to come in the mail.
Most stressful part of it is making the drive to the office.

Same in Washington County the longest part of my appointment was waiting for the CHL office to open. The downstairs help desk area was even awesome enough to print something I forgot while I waited. Once we got to the paperwork it was fast and jokes were had.

Presuming Marion County by your location, super easy and low key. Check in, wait until you are called, maybe five minutes, likely closer to three of photos and paperwork once called, done. Not much harder than buying stamps. Ask the person at the metal detector where you need to go if needed, they were polite and helpful. I spent more time looking at the law library on the same floor when I was done. Received permit well before expected as well.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Thanks
It's been some years ago now...2012-13? As I recall I went in on THE day and handed the gal at the window my filled out form and went to a room where a dozen, or a few more, people ended up seated. Waited to be called for the photo, and after that left. I think back then is was up to 30 days to receive the permit. And it was a fine permit too. Solid like the drivers license. The was MultCo.

almost forgot. the cavity search. it wasn't bad at all though. the gal doing it had very thin fingers and short trimmed nails.

something like this…

DFA5DA0B-077F-440D-A751-05C46BD01A38.jpeg

It's been some years ago now...2012-13? As I recall I went in on THE day and handed the gal at the window my filled out form and went to a room where a dozen, or a few more, people ended up seated. Waited to be called for the photo, and after that left. I think back then is was up to 30 days to receive the permit. And it was a fine permit too. Solid like the drivers license. The was MultCo.

almost forgot. the cavity search. it wasn't bad at all though. the gal doing it had very thin fingers and short trimmed nails.
Hahaha, reminds me of my female doctor and my prostate exam. "your in luck I have small fingers"

Presuming Marion County by your location, super easy and low key. Check in, wait until you are called, maybe five minutes, likely closer to three of photos and paperwork once called, done. Not much harder than buying stamps. Ask the person at the metal detector where you need to go if needed, they were polite and helpful. I spent more time looking at the law library on the same floor when I was done. Received permit well before expected as well.

Welcome to the forums by the way!
Yes marion County. Downstairs at the court house to the right if I remember correctly. Awesome, how long did it take the permit to arrive?

Don't stress it. Sheriffs are great to work with. Most of the forms can be filled out on line prior to the appt. Pictures and fingerprints are most of it. It'll be a mighty simple process.

When I got my non-resident carry permit all they did was take my money and picture. There was two women and were very to the point and on to the next.
The one woman said "I'll take your money".
That all she said.

Very simple. You do a little paper work, they take your money, a nice lady takes your picture.. About like getting a driver's license but faster.

Clackamas County: Showed up a few minutes early and they took me right away. Nice and friendly, took my picture and prints and printed my card while we chit chatted. They found I'd had a CHL back in the 80's when they first came out so charged me the lesser renewal fee even though it had been a few decades.

You will almost certainly be treated friendly and with the respect you are due. Relax, we are a shall issue state (so far).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top