JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
holy cosmoline. I dont think I did much better. We'll see after I try to get this stuff off

jZ8ra7X.jpg

This is after removing some of the cosmoline and a light sanding. The cosmoline is so penetrated that I would not be able to get it all out without some heavy sanding so I decided to stop. The wood is in better shape than the first rifle but probably not something that can be brought back to really nice shape. But it is all intact and no obvious cracks

Offer is still open IronMonster if you need one

0NDBGP8.jpg

image.jpg II still have not even tried to clean mine up. I have had lots of work an image.jpg d it's not a priority. I will get to it someday ;-)

I guess my beef is I have two M44's. They where/are beautiful and in the end not much more money than the 53. Maybe my expectations where just too high

Strange, I the pics the M44's don't looks as nice as they really are and the 53 looks better than it is :)

so after having no hope of finding a good original stock for the T53, I did what naturally was the next step. I made my own.

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out having no wood working experience. I did this by hand with a router, hand tools and a dremel. I used Oregon black walnut. There is no stain on this wood, just some clear coat to it. The walnut is quite nice in its natural color. The inside looks like a rabid beaver went after it, but it fits were it counts (it would sure be nice to afford a CNC router).

yUDMOTL.jpg
aguQXo3.jpg

While I was at it I made one for the SKS as well. This one I did some wood inlay in the buttstock area with the chinese arsenal number using wenge wood (a dark wood from Africa)

c3Ju7kw.jpg
G7LxKTA.jpg

If you dont know, the Chinese SKS's were made at a number of arsenals which are stamped on the barrel. They are all numbers made to fit in a triangle.
A2QLRwA.jpg

If I get better at making these, I might make some available for sale if someone needs a replica gunstock.

so after having no hope of finding a good original stock for the T53, I did what naturally was the next step. I made my own.

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out having no wood working experience. I did this by hand with a router, hand tools and a dremel. I used Oregon black walnut. There is no stain on this wood, just some clear coat to it. The walnut is quite nice in its natural color. The inside looks like a rabid beaver went after it, but it fits were it counts (it would sure be nice to afford a CNC router).

View attachment 255617
View attachment 255621

While I was at it I made one for the SKS as well. This one I did some wood inlay in the buttstock area with the chinese arsenal number using wenge wood (a dark wood from Africa)

View attachment 255618
View attachment 255619

If you dont know, the Chinese SKS's were made at a number of arsenals which are stamped on the barrel. They are all numbers made to fit in a triangle.
View attachment 255620

If I get better at making these, I might make some available for sale if someone needs a replica gunstock.

Holy smokes Bolus, those stocks look fantastic! Looks like you got yourself a new hobby.

Holy smokes Bolus, those stocks look fantastic! Looks like you got yourself a new hobby.

thanks. Yes, I think I will start making stocks for the mauser's and mosins I have. luckily I found a hardwood lumber company that makes rifle blanks out of a variety of hardwoods about 20 minutes from my house. They sell musket blanks that should actually work to replicate a full length mosin stock.

I'm still just bummed I missed out on that deal. Rough or not, it would have been nice to pick up a pair. It would have been 1/2 the fun to clean them up. Never have seen the same deal available since then :(

I dumped both the $99 ones I bought. Compared to the $199 M44's I bought with them they where awful.

Bolus seems to have got a good one, but I dont think you missed out on much by not getting a couple. Spending a bit more on the M44 I think is a safer bet.

I did not get "hand picked" ones, which might make a difference

I dumped both the $99 ones I bought. Compared to the $199 M44's I bought with them they where awful.

Bolus seems to have got a good one, but I dont think you missed out on much by not getting a couple. Spending a bit more on the M44 I think is a safer bet.

I did not get "hand picked" ones, which might make a difference

Yeah, it is luck of the draw. I would be happy if all the metal bits were good, I could deal with the wood. But I think even the action/barrel wasn't very good? But you're right, when you can find them, the 44's tend to be much nicer. 53's are usually pretty low end.

finishing up my second stock. This piece of black walnut is much darker and had a completely different pattern to the wood. Almost a camo look to it. This is the natural color as well. Quite the contrast between the two. Still needs needs

1ZCxfM4.jpg
TaFRLdP.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews