JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
beat up old rifle that I think can be brought back, pretty rough shape right now, what kind of value should be applied?
third from the bottom. thanks guys.

beater guns 017.JPG beater guns 018.JPG beater guns 020.JPG beater guns 023.JPG beater guns 028.JPG beater guns 029.JPG beater guns 030.JPG beater guns 031.JPG

It's pretty hard to say. Several years ago I bought a 99 take down in 250 Savage, made in 1932. The barrel was a bit rough inside and out, but it shot ok. Some goober had drilled and tapped it for scope mounts at one time, I paid $300 for it. I had to put a grip cap on it and clean up the wood. A stockmaker will need to fashion a new butt stock for this one. 30-30 isn't all that desirable. If it were chambered in a Savage cartridge it might make it a bit more sellable.

If the bore is decent, in the current condition it's a $200 rifle. That's a spendy stock to replace.
that's kind of what I figured, hoping for more but it is what it is. what about the LeBelle? 1916 model, the stock has been cut, it is in decent overall condition, second from the bottom. thanks for any help you can give.

It's pretty hard to say. Several years ago I bought a 99 take down in 250 Savage, made in 1932. The barrel was a bit rough inside and out, but it shot ok. Some goober had drilled and tapped it for scope mounts at one time, I paid $300 for it. I had to put a grip cap on it and clean up the wood. A stockmaker will need to fashion a new butt stock for this one. 30-30 isn't all that desirable. If it were chambered in a Savage cartridge it might make it a bit more sellable.
I found a correct looking butt stock online for $100, kind of wondering if I shouldn't purchase it to go with the rifle.

I do have a spare pistol grip stock that I could part with- cut the grip out and re-finish as necessary. Will need to be stabilized as it shows (like many do) a crack from being over-tightened. I can sell you the stock, or you can sell me the rifle!

I found a correct looking butt stock online for $100, kind of wondering if I shouldn't purchase it to go with the rifle.
Some of those stocks were a steel "Shotgun" butt, others (like this early rifle) the crescent butt plate. As long as it's a straight grip, it should fit right up. It's a bit involved to fit a crescent plate to a stock not cut for one, and yours has the top tang as well. If the stock you found has a similar buttplate and is straight grip, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money. It would be better than what's on it now.

Some of those stocks were a steel "Shotgun" butt, others (like this early rifle) the crescent butt plate. As long as it's a straight grip, it should fit right up. It's a bit involved to fit a crescent plate to a stock not cut for one, and yours has the top tang as well. If the stock you found has a similar buttplate and is straight grip, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money. It would be better than what's on it now.
thinking it just might be the thing to do.

Something unique about the older 99's, is just about all the parts, lock stock and barrel, were "numbers matching". I have had a couple of old take down models over the years, and I found that the last 3 or four digits of the serial numbers were stamped on the barrel, the take down latch and forearm indexing collar, the forearm and butt wood and the butt plate.

There was a time when Numerich had NOS parts in stock for M99's, even replacement forearms and barrels for take downs. Those days are long gone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top